AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i have an HTPC that i use to listen to music and see little video on my tv. Timeshift and record tv.

My setup is 5.0 fluance speaker set.

Pioneer 816k receiver.

My sound blaster audigy is plus in my receiver using 1/8 to rca cable.

Yesterday i bought a sub and after some testing i have a question.

When a listen to a dvd (in my dvd player not the dvd rom of the computer) i have bass.

But when i listen to music from my htpc i don't have anyting coming out of the sub.

What could cause this? Is it beacause i don't have a digital connection betweend my htpc and receiver?? I did make sure that the song had bass in it.

thx

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You are using a 2 channel analog audio out to your receiver. That means your HTPC is only sending 2 channels to your receiver. Depending on how your Receiver and PC are configured (lots of things there), you are probably getting no bass from the PC, and your receiver "may" be trying to create the bass from those 2 channels, but is able to generate very little.

I'd recommend connecting your PC using a digital connection, either TOSLINK or SPDIF. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx, that was my first guess.

Since my sound card (audigy) doesn't have a coax or optical out, i'll try the one on the motherboard, but it wasn't working at all the last time i tried.

Should i use spdif passthrough? and let the receiver decode the signal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.