AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am a complete novice with this stuff, so feel free to tease/flame/make fun of me

Objective: I'd like to create an enjoyable home theatre system for:
  • Gaming
  • PS3 Video Content: Blu-ray, DVD, Netflix
  • Media Server Content: ps3media server transcoding
  • MP3 listening
  • Cable TV

While spending around: $1200 total.

Existing Equipment
  • Samsung LED 46" 6000 Series (120hz)
  • Playstation 3
  • 15 year old $100 sony home-theatre-in-a-box 5.1 system...lol

Reciever Selection

I have budgeted around $450 to spend on the reciever. As such I'm comparing:
  • Onkyo TX-NR609
  • Denon AVR-891
  • Pioneer VSX-1020-K
  • YAMAHA RX-V471

My current inclination is torwards the Denon. However, I have the following questions:

1) I'm told 7.1(2) formats are hardly supported by current media, that for most content the receiver will have to interpret the 2 extra channels. And that there isn't even an agreed upon configuration of speaker positioning.

If that is so, is 7.1 worth it? I really don't have the budget for 7 good speakers now so if it is worth it, can I only plug 5.1 in now and expand later?

2) Is video up-conversion REALLY worth it? The Yamaha RX-V471 does not support it but I have trouble rationalizing the need for it. I just fail to understand how a computer can add content! I believe my PS3 will upconvert my DVDs and Netflix, my media server content is transcoded, so that leaves only TV--which I don't watch all that much anyway.

3) How well do these auto-configurations like AUDDESY work? I see theres an entire thread with many pages here so I know they are used but, seems to me that I'll have to fine tune anyway (granted, like I said I'm an audio noob! haha)

Speaker Selection

I know this is the wrong forum to post about speakers but I'm not sure if reciever selection impacts this or vice/versa. I'm currently deciding between Polk and Kipslich based purely on reviews. I plan to visit a store to give both a listen to see which I prefer. Based on reviews, I'm leaning torwards polk so:

Center: Polk CS10 : $89

Front Towers: 2x Polk TSi300 : 2x$199

Rear: 2x Polk Tsi200 : $299

Subwoofer: Polk PSW110 : $249

This leaves me over budget! That's $1035 spent on speakers alone! I can probably watch the sales and get that down some....

Speaker Questions:

1) Why would someone by the OWM3 for rear speakers?: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/t...hp?s=cs10#owm3

Seems to me the Tsi200 are better for the same price! But, maybe they are too powerful for rear?

2) Downgrading to the monitor series in polk is going to save me a good amount of money and bring me much closer to my price point. Is the TSi series worth the price upgrade?

Thank you so much in advanced for your feedback and for reading my long and noobish questions

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
1. There's nothing wrong with a 5.1 setup as that is likely what the vast majority of us use. If you choose to expand at a later date, the 2 extra speakers can be added as Front Height or rear surround or even Front Wide depending on the capability of the AVR.

2. Upconversion relates to using an analog input (eg. Wii) and converting it to HDMI. Upscaling relates to taking a lower resolution video (eg. 480i) and upscaling it to 1080p. Generally both the source (ie. PS3 and cable box) and the TV itself can do just as good a job of upscaling as the video chip on AVRs

3. They can work very well in fact. Although you list the Denon 891 as a prospect, you can get the newer 2112CI for the same price by "calling" one of the on line authorized resellers including AV Science and Electronics Expo. To learn more about the different Denon XX12 models, review the first few posts in the thread linked in my sig.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the speaker power (wattage) dropped between the Denon 891 and the 2112CI. I see the 891 for $420 on amazon, you saying I can get the 2112CI for the same?

What do you mean by "calling" them? Do I just need to haggle on the phone? Haha.

Anyway, based on the post in your sig, I think the 1712 would be a good option. You seem to put a lot of value on MultiEQ-XT! The only real thing I'd lose vs the 2112 seems to be the firmware patching over network.

Thanks for the great response =)

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
You won't notice the 15W difference ... not even if it were 30W difference in fact. At average volume, most 8Ω speakers of 86db efficiency or higher are only using < 5W/CH let alone anywhere near the max of the AVR. The 891 does offer "upscaling" whereas the 2112CI does not, however, the 2112CI offers a 3 year warranty and has the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT. And most of the time the resellers will give you their best price, although sometimes you simply have to say you saw it for less on AVS Forum and they may come down further.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd say upconversion is nearly essential. Otherwise, if you watch any non-HDMI sources you'll have to switch inputs on the display as well. That is likely to frustrate other users.

Support for True HD and Master Audio goes without saying.

7.1 is less essential, but since this ~may~ be the last AV receiver you ever need to buy (at least until the advent of 4K media and displays), might as well get it.

Same goes for 3D support. Sooner or later some compelling content will come along.

The MCACC auto configuration on my Pioneer (VSX-819) is helpful, but I end up adjusting things to my liking.

One other critical thing is enough HDMI and S/PDIF inputs. I'm using a 5 way Monoprice switch, which when I bought it seemed like a crazy number of inputs. Not now (Blu-ray, HD-DVD, WDTV Live, upconverting DVD, HDPC)(yes, the DVD player should be superfluous, but nothing else does single frame and rewind as smoothly as that Sony.).

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I agree with JD's recommendation on the receiver so I wanted to make some points on the speakers. Polk subwoofers are not very good. If you like the polk setup I would recommend getting the subwoofer online. BIC subwoofers are very popular for entry level and they will murder pretty much any polk sub. The F12 is pretty popular and will probably be less than the polk. Have you listened to speakers yet? Its all personal preference so just get what sounds good to you. I preferred the Pioneer speakers over the Polks when I listened at Best Buy. You may prefer the polk. I would just recommend spending some time listening to things you like on the speakers. Bring your own music and figure out which speakers have the sound you like.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The only changes I'll make(more adding than anything)

Receivers...

Onkyo HT RC360/HT RC270(less expensive versions of their NR counterparts, the 270* is last years and can be had for $420 at A4L)

Denon AVR991(can be found for the same as the 891)

Yamaha RX-V667/867(there is no reason to buy a 471 when those two can be had with-in your budget and run circles around the 471)

Speakers...

Instead of TSi, get the Polk Monitor(Polk Direct on Ebay or Newegg), same speaker...less money.

Forget the Polk sub(not worth $250), get one of these three...

BIC V1020/V1220/F12 (another worthy one is the Lava 10", with AVS member discount, is low enough you can get one)

*read the failure thread about this receiver, and read the owners thread. "Doomsdayers" will say "don't buy a lemon". Last year Onkyo have a known problem that has affected quite a few receivers, but no where near the number of receivers that some people like to pretend. Just on HERE if you count the number of people participating in the owners thread for that receiver, vs the number of people complaining in the "failure thread", it is almost 40-1 in people talking about the receiver vs "having a problem". Onkyo is fixing the problem FOREVER, so the problem...is not a problem.

Prices on last years Onkyo are already prematurely low.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Regarding a subwoofers, I've used a bunch. Velodyne is by far the best imo. Clean, deep pure bass. You can get the Impact 10 for $264.99 off of Amazon right now - probably cheaper if you look harder.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
I'd say upconversion is nearly essential.

I'd let the TV handle the conversion. Even at a $600-$800 price range, lots of people say to turn off the video processing on the AVR.

For $606 (plus $29 shipping) you can get a Yamaha RX-A1000 from Electronics Expo.

All the new Yamaha models are on the way (the RX-A**10s). Newegg had discounts on all the Yamaha AVRs last weekend.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderego /forum/post/20816521

So, I can't seem to get the 2112CI for the $419 that I can get the 891 for. How do you manage to do that jdsmoothie? Haha.

I was referring to getting it at the same price as your budget although I would still go with the 2112CI even with a $50 difference between it and the 891.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it at electronics expo, just like the man here said I had to call them up. They said the price will be going up in a week or so. (Its on backorder, I had to pre-order for a week.)

·
Registered
29,307 Posts

Quote:
Speaker Selection

I know this is the wrong forum to post about speakers but I'm not sure if reciever selection impacts this or vice/versa. I'm currently deciding between Polk and Kipslich based purely on reviews. I plan to visit a store to give both a listen to see which I prefer. Based on reviews, I'm leaning torwards polk so:

Center: Polk CS10: $89

Front Towers: 2x Polk TSi300: 2x$199

Rear: 2x Polk Tsi200: $299

Subwoofer: Polk PSW110: $249

This leaves me over budget! That's $1035 spent on speakers alone! I can probably watch the sales and get that down some....

You can save a whole lot on the speakers by getting the Monitor series from Newegg instead of the TSi. Maybe half the cost. The only difference is cosmetic as the Tsi have a glossy finish on the top plate. The TSi300 is equivalent to the Monitor 50 and TSi200 = Monitor 40.

Polk CS1: $59
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290211

Polk Monitor 50: $79 x 2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290205

Polk Monitor 40: $119/pr
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290203

By the way the Tsi200's and Monitor 40's come as a pair so if you're only doing 5.1 you only need one set, not two.

PSW110:$149
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290036

That's about $490 for equivalent Monitor series speakers which saves you over $500 vs the prices you posted.

Like was said above I'd get a different subwoofer than the PSW110. Maybe the Bic F12 which is $185.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

Someone also mentioned this is a very good subwoofer for the price, but I dont know anything about it.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=309-177

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Meta question: So I do not know the ettiquete. Should I be reposting in speakers?

Anyway, I went to best buy magnolia intent on listening to speakers and they had only brands ive NEVER heard of (B&W, Definitive, etc.) No polk/klipsich/boston acoustics at all. The guy there said polk SUCKS and I should buy B&W or Energy. I'm going to find another place to go so I can listen to things and decide for myself.

@Monitor vs TSI: Seriously? $500 bucks for aesthetics? Thats hard for me to swallow O_O. Crazyness haha. Thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.