AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to all of this and have a noob question.

I have an optoma hd65 projector and I am going to use behr silverscreen paint. I have dark walls and ceiling and absolutely no light. (no windows, just a door that goes to a dark hallway in my basement)

So the question. do i use flat, semi-gloss or high gloss paint? i know most people use flat but since I have no light would semi-gloss look better?

Also, what color primer do I use underneath? I think im going to use some kind of white board to paint on, havent decided yet. any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
You want to use a flat finish. Use a white primer such as Kilz 2 latex. The board doesn't have to be white. Depending on your screen size, you can use hardboard, MDF, etc. I think Behr Silverscreen would be too dark for your room. Anyone else?

·
Registered
219 Posts
As Jim McC stated you want to use a flat paint. Even though you have great ambient light control a gloss finish will result in hotspotting from your projector.

If your screen is going to be 90" or less then Thrifty White Board is a good surface to start with or just regular hardboard if you are priming and rolling silverscreen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used Silverscreen at our old house with my HD70, and had excellent results. Even totally dark, or with some ambient light.

You will want to mix the Silverscreen with Behr Ultra Pure White(UPW) #1050. It's their flat latex base.

Use a low nap roller, and be sure the wall, or board, is smooth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much of the white latex do I add to a quart of silverscreen?

My screen is going to be 110", so what kind of board can I get that big for the screen?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18300695

You want to use a flat finish. Use a white primer such as Kilz 2 latex. The board doesn't have to be white. Depending on your screen size, you can use hardboard, MDF, etc. I think Behr Silverscreen would be too dark for your room. Anyone else?

What would another option paint wise that I can get a home depot besides silverscreen that would be good for a pitch black room?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Silverscreen is a tint from Behr paints. It's code is 770E-2. Tell them you want it mixed with the flat ultra pure white #1050.

For a 110" screen I would probably go with a gallon. I just did a 106" screen with a quart, and used every last drop. I'm contemplating another quart to get one last coat.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
When I first painted it on I was like, "oh crap, this is white!" but it does darken to a nice light grey.

I just did my new screen with Winter Mist, and was thinking the same thing. Almost took it back and asked if they mixed it right, but it did dry to a nice light shade of grey.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Question, at Lowe's they offer 4 or 5 different sheens on some paints. What if you use the one up from flat, I can't remember what its called, egg shell or satin? Would these sheens produce hot spotting? I would like to get the most gain without hot spotting.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
I used Behr Flat Enamel UPW instead of Flat and it worked well.

The sheen range is: flat, flat enamel, egg shell, satin, semi-gloss, gloss. Some paints do not come in flat enamel, but called flat sheen or something like that.

Flat or flat enamel mixed with some Satin Polycrilic appears to be the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts