AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,


I see this is a topic that's beaten to death on these forums, but I was hoping for some receiver selection advice for the home theater setup I'm putting together. This is the first time I've attempted this, and I admit I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. I live in a 1 bedroom apt in NYC, and the living room is about 19 x 11, but if you subtract 8 feet for the open air kitchen i guess the available area is around 11 x 11. My budget is around $2500, and here's what I've thought of so far:


50inch plasma - Samsung PN50A650;


Energy speaker setup - still deciding between piecing together a c-50 or c-100 setup;


PS3 - (already own it);


Receiver - to be determined (trying to keep it under $400)


I don't see myself adding any other inputs or components, so I don't imagine I'd need that many hdmi inputs. I'd say 90% of the use will be the ps3 for watching movies and gaming, the other 10% watching tv or listening to music. I've seen threads that say that since the ps3 decodes the audio already a top of the line receiver isnt necessary. Also, and maybe just because I'm young and foolish, I'm not sure how big a deal video upscaling would be, since I'd have the ps3, and dont watch that much tv anyway. Wouldn't an HD cable box running directly to the tv, or being passed through the receiver be fine? Based on what I've seen in other threads, the contenders for my price range are the:


Onkyo 606,

Yamaha 663,

Denon 789

Pioneer 1018


Based on what I've read on the threads, the Onkyo seems to have buzzing/running hot/video distortion issues, and the pioneer seems to have some sound distortion/video distortion issues as well. Problem is I can't really distinguish whether these are common problems or problems that only expert video/audiophiles pick up on, while us ignorant masses might never notice. Lately I've been leaning towards the Yamaha 663. Sales seem to be getting better heading up to the superbowl, so I'll probably be looking to pull the trigger on this stuff over the next 2-3 weeks. I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice on which receiver would best suit my needs, and also any input on any other part of my potential set up. I apologize if this is a repetitive post, I tried looking through the forums for answers, but the posts always tend to veer off on tangents or get too technical for my understanding (no offense).


Happy new year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
All are good picks. I'd say the Denon is the best unit from the ones you listed, but also the most expensive and likely not under $400.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top