AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Panasonic es-15 (Will probably trade up to the es-25 for HDMI). I have an old samsung player that plays -R discs. Should I record in -R or is + the more common format. I would rather replace the samsung than record in an inferior format. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Plus from the 2nd generation on the Panny's were really designed to Play/Record the -R Format & it wasn't until the 2005 models that they added +R Recording to the mix.

Myself I only record in the -R & RAM Formats & I've never had any trouble with

"Finalized" -Rs playing on other DVD players or recorders.

As far as I'm concerned the +R Format is the oddball format developed by Philips & leased out to China where the RAM, -RW & -R formats are owned by companies from Japan & have only been leased out to Korean companies.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I've never had a -R that wouldn't play on a standalone DVD player (even some back in 1998 before the -R format). The +R discs are actually more compatible with stand alone players because you can burn them in DVD-ROM format via a PC. I haven't seen a DVDR that can burn a +R to DVD-ROM format. From my understanding the DVD-ROM format (header) will make the DVD Player think that the disc is an original pressed DVD and not a burned one.

My Panasonic player (2001) / recorder (2003) will only play DVD+R burned in this format.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Panasonic is squarely in the -R camp, and their recorders are more fine-tuned for -R media, so other things equal, -R is the way to go, unless you have any other interoperability requirements...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.