AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the deal. I am building a house. There is a "Gameroom" on second level. I have convinced the household CFO/CEO that this should be a dedicated HT room.

hartmanhomes.com/PlanInfo.asp?PlanNumber=FC2662&SubdivisionID=30

(Sorry I don't have 5 posts so I can't post this as hotlink.)

I will be purchasing a BENQ 6200/6210 (xmas I hope) and need some design help. After speaking to the low voltage wiring guy I had to come up with the speaker placements. Ok this is where I might have messed up. I have the front on the HT or where the screen goes on the short wall next to the master. I figured that would help with light coming in from the hallway? (the windows in the room will be blacked out) So this room is 15X20x9x9

· Registered
912 Posts
Hi SkinnyJ - welcome to the forum :)

Budget for screen and perhaps a pic with your layout?

Have you decided on a screen material or screen manufacturer yet?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted the link to the floor plan you just need to add the www to the front (Somthing about spammers and not posting links)

hartmanhomes.com/PlanInfo.asp?PlanNumber=FC2662&SubdivisionID=30

I will try to edit this picture to add the wire locations. My budget is about $500 for the screen. This will be the first PJ I use in the home. So I will be easly impressed but do not want to replace it to fast.

So 7 foot am I screwed? I would like a 100 inch screen 16x9.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope once I get this HT thing going I can return the favor of some real world advice.

· Registered
912 Posts
$500

1) you're looking at a Dalite Model B or Model C or

2) DIY wall paint

3) DIY - buy material and build frame

There's a lot of threads with each of the above subject materials - take a gander - good luck!:)

Once you start looking around, you might want to get just a white bedsheet to get an idea of how big you want to go, with acceptable SDE, etc...

· Registered
35 Posts
I definitely agree with you... there are too many options with respect to projector screens.

I am new at this as well and have taken the plunge with a first projector.

I have a couple of questions for you on your setup.

It sounds like you do not have a door on the room. Is it possible to install one? Assuming you don't have one now, installing a door should be easy to sell to senior mgmt, if just for noise control.

The reason I bring this up relates to one of your decisions. If you are going to install a permanent screen and you have children around the house at all, you could end up with fingerprints on the screen if you can't close the door. (I know that would happen around my house!)

Also, the amount of ambient light you are expecting from any open doorway would figure into your screen material choice.

Another big question is your seating distance from the screen. You can certainly make an 80" wide screen work (you should have room for that based on what I see).

You have a nice size room, which gives you more alternatives. For viewing distance calcs, 1.5x screen width puts you at 10 feet. 2x puts you at 13 feet. Between those distances would be considered optimal by most for a 92" diag screen. If you want to sit back further, and it looks like could go past 15 feet since you are working with the 20 foot room dimension, you would probably want to go bigger with your screen.

Like you said, there are lots of choices and options.

I didnt' quite understand if the speaker placement is set in stone yet. If it isn't, and you want to sit back further, you would theoretically have room for a larger screen.

In any case, I recommend you give Jason Turk at AVS a call and see what he has to say. He is easy to find on the forum. He can definitely help narrow down your choices for you and he has a great lineup of products. I bought my screen from him.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.