AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking, used the search functions, etc., but cant seem to find the answers to my question.. plus I really am new at this, so forgive me.

My older Sony receiver gave up the ghost on me, and needs replacing. I'm looking for a receiver that will act as a surround sound (5.1), as well as providing enough power for music through my house - 6 sets of older Bose acoustimass speakers.

I'm no audiophile, and I have a wife that needs convincing, so price will play a part. My TV is the Hitachi HDT79, which has 3 HDMI inputs (one dedicated to the PVR). The only components I'm running is the PVR and a DVD player - soon to be an HDMI compatible when I figure out which one.

I know something like this - Yamaha HTR-5930SL 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver - is insulting to you all
, but would that be enough?

Recommendations, anyone, and excuse the noobiness.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
What is your budget?

Do you need HDMI in the receiver? If so, that Yamaha does'nt have HDMI.

Try the Yamaha 6090/1700 for HDMI or Pioneer 1016. Look also at Denon and Onkyo.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I need HDMI in the receiver - the TV has 3 HDMI inputs. I just though it would be handy, as thats the way all seem to be headed...

I'd say my budget is under $500 - suggestions?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthegrip /forum/post/0

Wow - thanks for the help - I will begin looking immediately... do you happen to have a favorite of them?

I do appreciate it.

nope, no favs, I'd be happy with any of them since all of them are better than what I got now...LOL

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those all seem to be right in my price range.I'll begin researching in here, then llok for more reviews and go from there. I appreciate your time... now for the I'm a dummy section.

I need one with an A/B, as i want to do Home theater on A and my stereo on B... right? I should also go for as many watts per channel as I can get.. I think?

And lastly, does the HDMI matter to me - it looks like for those units in my price range, the HDMI does not carry audio and video, and that I'd have to hook up an optical connection to my TV as well?

If you've got the time to weigh in on those questions, I'd appreciate it

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well, I would normally advise you not to hook up audio to the TV at all, http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Get a Panny SR55/57 or an Onkyo 503/504 and spend some extra money on some new speakers, fronts+center anyway... Ouch.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:

Those all seem to be right in my price range.I'll begin researching in here, then llok for more reviews and go from there. I appreciate your time... now for the I'm a dummy section.

I need one with an A/B, as i want to do Home theater on A and my stereo on B... right? I should also go for as many watts per channel as I can get.. I think?

And lastly, does the HDMI matter to me - it looks like for those units in my price range, the HDMI does not carry audio and video, and that I'd have to hook up an optical connection to my TV as well?

If you've got the time to weigh in on those questions, I'd appreciate it

Thanks again.

Where is your stereo? Same room?

More watts does'nt mean better.

It's better to have all sources hooked into the receiver, then you can switch between sources.

Some of the units will only pass the video via hdmi, so yes you would need a coax or optical cable.

and think about getting new speakers, bose is not favoured around here.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
No matter what the specs say. Sonically all AVR's in the same price range, will perform similarly purchased new. On the used market, just get the highest end you can find for the money you want to spend.

HDMI is also increasingly important for audio where HD content is concerned.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to have brought up the Bose thing... I bought them about ten years ago - but I'll go forth and listen to other stuff promptly
- any excuse to buy better stuff is a good thing.

The receiver is in a closet in the wall behind the TV (another room).

And I do appreciate all of your replies - I'm new to this stuff, and am looking to learn - thanks again for all of your info and links.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:

Sorry to have brought up the Bose thing... I bought them about ten years ago - but I'll go forth and listen to other stuff promptly
- any excuse to buy better stuff is a good thing.

The receiver is in a closet in the wall behind the TV (another room).

And I do appreciate all of your replies - I'm new to this stuff, and am looking to learn - thanks again for all of your info and links.

so you want a 5.1 in one room and 2chan stereo for another room?

you could also look for zone 2 outputs in receiver

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, exactly Dr. Pain - looking for the ability to watch TV in 5.1 while wife listens to stereo elsewhere.

I've kinda zeroed in on the Onkyo TX-SR604, but if you all have a different recommendation, I'm all ears - especially if it leaves me money to buy new speakers which I apparently need lol.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:

Yes, exactly Dr. Pain - looking for the ability to watch TV in 5.1 while wife listens to stereo elsewhere.

I've kinda zeroed in on the Onkyo TX-SR604, but if you all have a different recommendation, I'm all ears - especially if it leaves me money to buy new speakers which I apparently need lol.

looks like the 604 does all you want, hdmi,zone 2 speakers

read the manual, reviews and other opinions

check out the Future Proof Receiver Thread also

and the 604 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=735314

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.