AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a new system around an Onkyo 674 receiver.

The TV is a Samsung HL-S 6187W connected to the receiver by an HDMI cable.

The reciever is connected to a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box by a HDMI cable.

The DVD player is a non-HD 1080i output also connected to the 674 by a HDMI cable.

Additionally there is a DVD-R connected by component video & optical audio connected to the 674 & two game systems through an A/B switch, one game has a optical audio connection.

There are 7 speakers on the system.

In a lot of the setup menus the question is asked PCM or Bit Stream & I have no idea how to make the correct selection, can anyone help?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory /forum/post/0

Thanks for the input..its not a HD DVD. What about the reciever to the TV options? The same question comes up in the 674 setup menu

PCM is the digital audio format for one channel of audio. In a 5.1 signal there are 6 PCM streams. Dolby Digital and DTS, on the other hand, pack up that signal into a more compact, single stream format -- called a bitstream. The bitstream has to be decoded into its component PCM streams before it can be played.

Unless you intend to use the TV's built in speakers what you choose here is not important.

If you want to use the TV's built in speakers, PCM output from the receiver will give you a stereo "down mix" of any multi-channel audio source -- created on the fly by your receiver. Stero PCM output is the "safer" choice here -- it will work with ANY TV that accepts audio AT ALL over its HDMI input.

Bitstream output will send the UN-decoded multi-channel source stream to your TV. If the TV has a built in HDTV tuner then it likely can decode the bitstream itself (at least for Dolby Digital) since that will likely be part of the HDTV tuner. Whether it will do anything useful for you with that is a different question since you are not having the TV drive any surround speakers itself.

--Bob

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
On the AVR output, there can be issues come up where if your AVR is is outputting 5.1 via HDMI and your display can't take 5.1 that no video will result. I have seen it a couple of times anyways. That would be my only caution with leaving the HDMI output of your AVR set to bitstream.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

On the AVR output, there can be issues come up where if your AVR is is outputting 5.1 via HDMI and your display can't take 5.1 that no video will result. I have seen it a couple of times anyways. That would be my only caution with leaving the HDMI output of your AVR set to bitstream.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have the TV speakers muted, they only accept stereo, & all sound is sent out to the receivers speaker system

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
This is an HDMI oddity. It would not matter if your internal speakers were muted or not.

Some displays will not display if the audio carried on the HDMI is beyond it's capabilities. Not all displays, but I have run into this. No video, change the audio to 2 channel and viola, video....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a follow up question, this thread seems to be geared toward non blu-ray and non HD DVD players. If I am running a PS3 and a XA2 into my receiver to push a 5.1 system. PCM or Bit Stream? I tried reading through the thread but still wasn't sure. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.