AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I recently purchased Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's for a 2 channel system without a sub for a medium sized living room. Powered by a Yamaha R-N500 The bass from these is quite impressive and the mid-range is pretty good also. I have an option to return these for Diamond 10.4's for essentially the same price (once you consider the stands). I didn't get a chance to audition the 10.4's and was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare these 2. Is it worth the exchange?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I personally would save your money and add a sub in the future. The 10.2 and 10.4 are pretty comparable, I would wager the 10.4 has a little better output, but the bigger driver in the 10.2 keeps its extension close to the 10.4. If you want a more noticeable upgrade, the 10.6 would be that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Trans - I appreciate your input.  I'm leaning towards bookshelf/sub combo as you suggested.  Unfortunately my local shop doesn't carry the 10.6's (I live in Canada).  They do carry the Totem line which sounded impressive but they are quite pricey.  I really liked the Totem Mites but was a smaller speaker for almost double the cost. 

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gome2990  /t/1521081/nooby-wharfedale-10-2-w-stands-or-10-4s#post_24441951

Thanks Trans - I appreciate your input.  I'm leaning towards bookshelf/sub combo as you suggested.  Unfortunately my local shop doesn't carry the 10.6's (I live in Canada).  They do carry the Totem line which sounded impressive but they are quite pricey.  I really liked the Totem Mites but was a smaller speaker for almost double the cost. 

I would save up for a nice SVS PB-1000, fantastic sub that will give you deep articulate bass. SVS has a Canadian distributor, and you get a lot of sub the money.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I agree with those that are recommending the addition of a sub. I've been thru a fair number of systems and I'm concluding that two decent bookshelf speakers (like the 10.2s) and a decent sub are superior to two floorstanders, regardless of brand (in the price range we are speaking of here).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts