AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all.. I've been reading the forums for some time now but Just recently became a member. I have been in the market for a 55+ plasma for some time now. I owned a hitachi 42 inch plasma for about 4 years now and it was a nice fit at the time but we moved last year into our new home and have more than twice the distance from the couch to the TV, 18 ft away. So I started the search for a bigger plasma to replace the 42 with a budget of around 4k. I liked the Pio and the samsung but they were out of my range and I didn't think a 50 would have been enough tv for my family room. I was tossed between the 55 hitachi directors cut and the 58 panny 600u both were in the 3600-3700 range online before shipping and before warranty. So I walked into my local brandsmart to take a look for maybe the 5th time and than the guy points out the the LG 60 incher. At 1st I said no cuz I wanted to stick with what I had read about but than I stood back and took a look at this LG next to a 63 inch samsung plasma, panny 58inch 60u I stood back and really enjoyed the color and pq from the tv comared to the others. Also they had all their sets connected through component cables splitting the feed to the game last week on NBC. I honestly really loved the pq and finish of the tv. He gave me a price that I could just not walk away from $3198.00 So I jumped on it and took it home same day in my pick up.

I got home hooked up my Directv dvr through hdmi just in time to watch my Giants lose to the Eagles yet I loved every second of it..LOL. All in all I really love the set I just have to get used to looking at such a big picture screen.

I also picked up the HD dvd player for my xbox360 and the hd movies play awesome on the set.

HD channels play really well on the set but some channels look better than other but I guess thats expected from what I have read here.

SD chaneels actually surprised me cuz they play really well. This set has a zoom option called horizon which really makes the fat looking people look normal which I love, only problem is that if you flick to a hd channel you have to put the zoom back to 16x9 otherwise they look weird.

My question is about color and black level shading. Sometimes the people look a little too redish but sometimes they looks fine. Could this be the channel or the set needs color adjustment?

Does shading have to do with sharpness or contrast. Sometimes I see shading in people faces but other times I don't.

Last question does anyone with this set know where my setting should be or have any suggestions. I read that people calibrate their tv's what does this mean exactly?

I'm sure that their are better tv's but the deal being offered to me at the time was hard to walk away from.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have a different LG but I think I can help with your general questions.

Check the color temp in the video section of the menu. If warm set to medium or cool. This should help your red skin tones. Try this before worrying about radical color adjustments.

In a way everything affects shading. Sharpness too low will soften (blur) fine detail. Contrast or brightness set incorrectly will either blow out and crush the extremes or lead to a "everything is in the middle" situation.

Calibration comes in many flavors. You can have your set pro cal'ed - they have equipment you and I would never buy. You can also DIY. There are several cal discs, but you may already own something to at least get started. Most THX discs have the THX optimizer on them. There are black white sharpness and color tests that may be all you ever want. If you have any Star Wars or Indy Jones movies, check there.

For me, just the THX took me from ok to really being amazed at my tv.

Mike

· Registered
66 Posts
Some channels will look different as far as color. There are just subtle differences in different broadcasts.

Make sure you pull it out of torch mode. Try 50 on Brightness & contrast for a spell, and 55 on color. After you get the phosphors aged a bit (100 hours or so) than bump it up some or calibrate it. You will probably find like me (I have the 42PC1DA) that there is not that much tweaking needed.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have the same model and love it. Everything that the previous posts said is very good. My settings are set at contrast 51, brightness at 38, color at 49 and sharpness at 50 with the color temp. at medium. I have passed the 100 hour mark and will fiddle the settings more. Hope you enjoyed this very sweet tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.