AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. Maybe I am a complete idiot here (I'm not, but boy do I feel like one).

I have a Middle Atlantic SLIM 5 rack that houses all of my equipment. I just put together an unRAID Server using the new Norco 4220 case. Love the case and setting up unRAID was a dream, that is until I took it in to the basement to mount it in the rack.

I bout the rl-26 rails for the case and mounted them on the sides. I used the long L-brackets to mount to the outside of the other part of the rails that mount directly to the rack. When I tried to put them together I noticed that it did not seem to fit. I grabbed a tape measure and sure enough, the rails on the side of the case make the unit too wide by about a 1/2".

Has anyone gotten the 4220 to fit in a Slim 5 (or similar) rack wih the rails? If so, could you post pictures or explain what you did. With the weight of the unit I do not believe that directly mounting it to the front of the rack would be a good option.

I know I am missing something, but I am too PO'd right now to think clearly.

Help!!!

Thanks a million!!

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of is to buy a rack shelf and just slide it in. Not my ideal choice, but I just can't figure out how to get the thing in the rack.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I remember reading a thread recently where someone had a similar problem, though I don't remember if it was the exact same equipment. That guy ended up buying a sliding drawer/shelf. I can't seem to find the thread now, of course...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17049216

I remember reading a thread recently where someone had a similar problem, though I don't remember if it was the exact same equipment. That guy ended up buying a sliding drawer/shelf. I can't seem to find the thread now, of course...

I am having the same problem. I have been looking for the last two hours trying to find anything that relates, but I am not having any luck.

Anyone know of this thread or the person or do you have any idea of what shelf part to buy? I have no issues buying a shelf, I just want to make sure I get the right one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am probably wrong here, but, aren't HT racks and standard server racks different sizes. Again, I amy be wrong though. One thing that you could try, research it more first, is to pick up some XRAID racks/rails. The nice thing about those is that they are pretty much rack mounted half shelves. They can be the two different standards, short or long, and they will allow you to just rest the Norco on it, then lock in the front with screws into the rack. The XRAID rack has plenty of support in the front, which is where most your weight is, but may be lacking in the back, as the "self" part might be a little short.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with that, hopefully you can get it set right, that rack would be a shame to get rid of, or the norco for that matter, but hey, i can take the norco off your hands if you can use it, hahaa

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smburns25 /forum/post/17050183

Did not really help as the shelves are way too short, but thanks.

How are they too short? From what I can see on their website, slim 5 racks are available in 20" and 26" depths, and the shelf brackets are adjustable from 20.25" to 33.25" . If anything, it might be 1/4" too long (should be easily trimmable with a hacksaw if so).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17051771

How are they too short? From what I can see on their website, slim 5 racks are available in 20" and 26" depths, and the shelf brackets are adjustable from 20.25" to 33.25" . If anything, it might be 1/4" too long (should be easily trimmable with a hacksaw if so).

Sorry, too narrow. The rails actually hit the sides of the rack. With the rails attached to the sides of the case, I lifted it up and tried to see if it would fit in the rack. When I tried, the rails actually hit the opening and would not fit in between.

The front of the case is the right size as it matches the faceplates and other equipment I have. It is just with the rails attached that it will not slide in.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found some Middle Atlantic zero space shelves. They attach to the sides of the rack (I'll need to drill two holes as my rack is mounted within a wooden frame) and attach to both the front and back of the rack. The good thing about these is that the case would still attach to the front of the rack with it's existing faceplate. No one will know it is on a shelf at all.

Here is the link: http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac...shelves2.htm#4

Also, they are only $57. I'm going to try these and see how they work. Looks like the Norco rails are going out on ebay.

I'll let you know if the shelf works or not.

Thanks again!

Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
Out of curiosity, did these work?

I have a 4220 that I'm planning on slapping in a Slim 5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts