AVS Forum banner

6841 - 6860 of 6891 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I have been wondering about the broadcast power in going from UHF to VHF, they seem to drop it a lot lower.
Will repacked channels into VHF be dropping their power?
The power is determined by the coverage area. It doesn't take as much power for a VHF signal as a UHF signal for the same coverage area. Advertisers are concerned about how many people are seeing their ads.

I hope they never go to LOW VHF, I have read that can be a problem with reception.
Yes, the noise level is much higher on VHF-Low; it will cause interference to the TV signals.

I am in zipcode 23608, and most all channels for me are south past norfolk., so none are closeby. Without the large antenna and a signal booster, my reception is poor. With them it is good.
You have a lot of trees that will interfere with TV signals.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
The power is determined by the coverage area. It doesn't take as much power for a VHF signal as a UHF signal for the same coverage area. Advertisers are concerned about how many people are seeing their ads.

Yes, the noise level is much higher on VHF-Low; it will cause interference to the TV signals.

You have a lot of trees that will interfere with TV signals.
Used to have antenna on chimney but tree growth killed it. Then the entire rear line of Neighbor's Photina bushes died and mine too as the second pic shows freeing up rear of the lot, so I moved antenna to the rear fence. And it works fine there. This area I live at does have many tall trees in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I have been wondering about the broadcast power in going from UHF to VHF, they seem to drop it a lot lower.
Will repacked channels into VHF be dropping their power?
I do get WSKY (4), WVEC (13) fine which I think are VHF. My UHF channels have tended to do better over the years. I do have a large old fashioned outdoor antenna which works well for uhf and vhf. Has long arials made for low vhf too.
My boat TV has more trouble with VHF, not much of a VHF antenna can fit on a boat.

I hope they never go to LOW VHF, I have read that can be a problem with reception.
I am in zipcode 23608, and most all channels for me are south past norfolk., so none are closeby. Without the large antenna and a signal booster, my reception is poor. With them it is good.
No one is scheduled to go low V. The lowest is TBN's WTPC on VHF7. SKY is moving to 13 and WVEC is moving to 11. I get WTPC with no problem with my current setup so I'm not worried about SKY or WVEC...

·
Registered
307 Posts
No one is scheduled to go low V. The lowest is TBN's WTPC on VHF7. SKY is moving to 13 and WVEC is moving to 11. I get WTPC with no problem with my current setup so I'm not worried about SKY or WVEC...
After about 20 trips to the attic to adjust my channel master 4228 ant to recieve 13.1 and 43.1 I bought a GE indoor Tv antenna amplifier model #42178 from Amazon 14.99. works Great!

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
After about 20 trips to the attic to adjust my channel master 4228 ant to recieve 13.1 and 43.1 I bought a GE indoor Tv antenna amplifier model #42178 from Amazon 14.99. works Great!
There you go... great to hear!

Reactions: dtv757

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
If anyone is out there, WVEC is moving from channel 13 to channel 11 on May 1. It was supposed to be today April 28...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Still here. I have a backup antenna on one TV so it is time to rescan. Thanks:)

Reactions: VARTV

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Still here. I have a backup antenna on one TV so it is time to rescan. Thanks:)
10 and 43 have already moved along with a couple of digital low-powers. 13 and 49 should be any day now...

We still use OTA with our DIRECTV set top box. What's sad is that the picture quality of ABC programs (thru Hulu) is better than OTA. We had a free trial of CBS Allaccess and was shocked to see a noticeable better picture than WTKR. We watch CBS at night the most. Told wifey we'd watch her shows thru the app vs the DVR recordings. And FOX Sports? MUCH better on their app vs WVBT.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
10 and 43 have already moved along with a couple of digital low-powers. 13 and 49 should be any day now...

We still use OTA with our DIRECTV set top box. What's sad is that the picture quality of ABC programs (thru Hulu) is better than OTA. We had a free trial of CBS Allaccess and was shocked to see a noticeable better picture than WTKR. We watch CBS at night the most. Told wifey we'd watch her shows thru the app vs the DVR recordings. And FOX Sports? MUCH better on their app vs WVBT.
I noticed the same thing last year. OTA generally doesn’t match the apps. Remember how good SEC football looked during the early days? Now that the stations are using the sub channels bandwidth for the main channel seems to have been reduced dramatically.

Reactions: VARTV

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I noticed the same thing last year. OTA generally doesn’t match the apps. Remember how good SEC football looked during the early days? Now that the stations are using the sub channels bandwidth for the main channel seems to have been reduced dramatically.
Hampton Roads is one of the markets going to light up ATSC 3.0 (now called Next Gen TV) by the end of the year. Hopefully they won't compress the hell out of those channels...

Reactions: CHeath and dtv757

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hampton Roads is one of the markets going to light up ATSC 3.0 (now called Next Gen TV) by the end of the year. Hopefully they won't compress the hell out of those channels...
Hopefully. I wonder how much the tuners for that will cost?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Hopefully. I wonder how much the tuners for that will cost?
There are two companies (probably more) I know of that are working on a set top box. Probably single tune and dual tuners. Maybe one was going to make a quad-tuner box?

Reactions: robertawillisjr

·
Registered
289 Posts
Seems inevitable.... I did see that TiVo demoed a plugin atsc 3.0 tuner that would work with existing Bolts, but we'll see if they bring it to market for a reasonable price. Right now there's just so little content OTA that I would think benefits from 4K/HDR that the only reason to upgrade a tuner would be to avoid overcompression. Maybe there will be some way to allocate little bandwidth to the ATSC 3.0 part except when it's actually being used for a 4K program....

BTW, glad this thread is still alive. I checked and haven't been here in 11 years. But finally cut the cord and went back to OTA with my 4228 that's been in the attic for a decade (only needed to replace one end of a cable that had corroded over time). The TiVo knew about the remapping properly but figured I would check here for an update.

Bruce

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Seems inevitable.... I did see that TiVo demoed a plugin atsc 3.0 tuner that would work with existing Bolts, but we'll see if they bring it to market for a reasonable price. Right now there's just so little content OTA that I would think benefits from 4K/HDR that the only reason to upgrade a tuner would be to avoid overcompression. Maybe there will be some way to allocate little bandwidth to the ATSC 3.0 part except when it's actually being used for a 4K program.... Bruce
I think there are two other companies working on products that will have multiple 3.0 tuners (HDHomeRun, etc). 2020 LG sets (and some others) will have tuners built in. For us to pull the trigger, it would have to have some type of DVR function. Only the SuperBowl is truly watched live around here...

Right now there's just so little content OTA that I would think benefits from 4K/HDR that the only reason to upgrade a tuner would be to avoid overcompression. Maybe there will be some way to allocate little bandwidth to the ATSC 3.0 part except when it's actually being used for a 4K program.... Bruce
I've been reading articles online about sports and 4K. Native 4K sports isn't going to happen for at least several years; most likely longer. The shear amount of data native 4K cameras capture especially football (collage and pro), golf, baseball, etc. A sport like tennis and/or soccer could do it. I would be very happy to see MUCH more 1080p60 HDR football.

Primetime shows? Can one really tell the difference between 1080p HDR and native 4K HDR??? I would like to see primetime at least go 1080p even if it's minus HDR... And who knows how these 3.0 stations will use their bandwidth. I heard a company out West offering 80 channels OTA as a subscription service (using an app or set top box?). My guess this company will lease bandwidth from multiple 3.0 stations to put this service on.

BTW, glad this thread is still alive. I checked and haven't been here in 11 years. But finally cut the cord and went back to OTA with my 4228 that's been in the attic for a decade (only needed to replace one end of a cable that had corroded over time). The TiVo knew about the remapping properly but figured I would check here for an update.
We still use our antenna (also a 4228) that is integrated with our DIRECTV guide. It has come in handy with rain fade (very rare) but especially fee disputes... WAVY and WVBT were off of DIRECTV for several weeks.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I remember the Nexstar dispute thank goodness for DirecTV 4K .. I was still able to watch the national world cup feed via the 4K channels .

And MLB (Fox saturday ) games I could watch via MLB EI national feeds . I watched the MLB all star game via mlb.tv or fox sports app ...dont remember ... but I remember the app still worked as DirecTV had a national agreement with fox and NBC.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I noticed at 0455 am and now WTKR and WGNT are dark on DirecTV... is this a dispute or due to the re scanning stuff

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I noticed at 0455 am and now WTKR and WGNT are dark on DirecTV... is this a dispute or due to the re scanning stuff

Nope... They moved to new frequencies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now with the rescan, I can’t get WTKR, WHRO, or WGNT. They appear to be on the correct (new) frequencies on my TIVO channel list. I am in York county/Williamsburg address.

6841 - 6860 of 6891 Posts