AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've had my setup for a few months now, and overall i'm ultra pleased with it, but i've noticed over the last few weeks that i'm having to bring it up louder to get the same volume.

Now, i've eliminated some variables. Both of my roommates have noticed it as well. So i don't think its hearing loss, especially because the levels we listen at aren't that high in the first place.

I've eleminated the source material as the issue, as we've been watching the same season of Stargate SG:1 on DVD.

Beforehand we would watch it at -25-30, now i'm regularly having to take it up to -12 to -15 in order to acheive the same volume.

Is this fairly normal, or is the amp on my receiver going out? Or anything else i'm not aware could be happening?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all. I would go through and re-calibrate everything and see where it is. Maybe one of your roomates "accidentally" changed something and doesn't want to fess up to doing so. But, there should be nothing at all where you all of a sudden need to crank up the receiver more to achieve the same volume level. At least nothing that I've ever heard of before.

I'd also double check all of the connections.... especially the speaker connections. If you are connecting with a bare wire connection, possibly the wire has become corroded and is offering up more resistance in the signal path. But even then, I wouldn't think it would be all that noticeable. But I'd double check all of the connections anyway.

During the calibration process, you will also be able to tell if one (or more) speakers are playing at a significantly lower SPL level than the others. If that's the case, then there could be a problem in one (or more) of the speakers. You can do the same thing by disconnecting all of the speakers and then re-connect them one at a time and run program material through them one at a time and see where they are with regard to overall SPL's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe this could be true, as long as you aren't losing a lot of decibels, which could indicate a greater problem.

If your speakers are "breaking in", then they should end up sounding "fuller", more mellow and transparent. After a while there should be negligible drop in volume, if anything the "fullness" should make the volume level seem the same.

The reason for the "volume drop" could be that the brand new drivers have horrible resonant frequencies at first, as they are made to accept the slight loosening up of the suspension that occurs after millions (play 100Hz for

10 000 seconds or ~3hrs) of cycles back and forth. After a while, the suspension shouldn't loosen up much at all, which is when your speakers should be sounding good.

If you over-drive the speakers, then you will loosen the suspension more, and will most likely get "boppy" bass and screeching, depending on the driver and how much it is over-driven. Unless you turn your amp right up with a full input, then this shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well i'll keep on eye on things and see how they progress. I'll have to play some of my "reference" movies/music and see if it sounds any more mellow etc. Thanks for the headsup guys ;-).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts