AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a ton of conflicting opinions/posts on this topic.

When my dvd player outputs a 16:9 signal, I feel it should fill the screen in normal mode. Is this incorrect? If this signal is stretched horizontally in the Full mode, isn't this distorting the image?

This is really driving me crazy, because I swear I put in Attack of the Clones the other day with the TV on Normal mode and the dvd menu showed up in 4:3, but when the movie started, it filled the whole screen. But I have been unable to repeat this so I'm blaming my dvd player (Tosh 2109 from 1999). Also, my PS2 refuses to output a 16:9 signal to the Normal mode when viewing anamorphic dvds (Yes I set both the dvd player and ps2 to 16:9).

Any opinions/facts out there? I tried to consult my sony manual but it doesn't not mention the zoom modes with reference to 16:9 signals. BTW, my tv is Sony kp51ws500.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
548 Posts
You should know when you're using the wrong mode, because either picture will be cropped off, or people will look abnormally skinny.

If the DVD player is set to 16:9 output, Full mode on the TV will show everybody in proper proportions, if the disc itself is also 16:9. "Normal" mode may fill your screen, but doesn't everybody look rather tall & skinny? Attack of the Clones isn't supposed to fill the screen, since it's a 2.35:1 film, wider than your 1.78:1 set. With everything in proportion, you should see black bars covering 1/8 of your screen at the top & bottom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, you think normal mode is for 4:3 signal only? If a 16:9 signal fills the Normal view in the horizontal direction, then no one would be stretched.

I know EPII has a larger aspect ratio.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Different TVs have different nomenclature for their various zoom modes. You have an old, interlaced player (progressive players in progressive mode would disable some/all zoom modes in some TVs), so the following should work:

(1) Confirm in DVD player setup menu that it is set to 16:9 output. Sometimes there is an additional setting for 16:9 menus.

(2) Insert "16:9 enhanced" disc, e.g. Attack of the Clones widescreen version. (There are some discs that are mislabeled, but EPII isn't.)

(3) Find the aspect mode where it displays vertical grey bars on the sides, surrounding a 4:3 window. If the player is correctly outputting

a 16:9 signal, in this mode everything should look too tall and skinny. 2.35:1 movies would still have small black bars top & bottom, not filling the screen vertically.

(4) Set "Full" mode. On most sets, this will stretch the picture horizontally only, by 33.3%. After this stretch, everything should look in proper proportion. The screen will be filled from side to side, but not from top to bottom, on a 2.35:1 film. The black letterboxing bars visible in the mode in (3) would remain the same size vertically. This is the proper mode for all 16:9 discs.

Turn on the set's display so you are sure what mode you are in. Some sets will auto-switch zoom modes when detecting 16:9 content, so you may not be in the mode you thought you were in.

If you are sure (1)-(4) are true but you aren't seeing proper proportioned people and objects in full mode, probably your geometry settings need adjustment.

Try the other zoom modes, which would all look out of proportion in some way. I have no idea which one corresponds to "normal" on your set. Maybe it is the pillarboxed mode I mentioned in (3). There will be a mode that stretches both horizontally and vertically by 33.3% (Often called "zoom", or similar), cropping the top & bottom of the picture (only cropping off letterboxing bars on 4:3 LBX discs). This will work for 4:3 letterboxed movies, but for 16:9 enhanced discs people will be distorted (too tall & skinny again), since all you want is a 33.3% horizontal expansion. There is the pillarboxed mode mentioned in (3). And there are often additional options that don't provide a uniform stretch, perhaps stretching the sides more than the center, cropping top & bottom somewhat ("Widezoom", perhaps, on the Sony).

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's your problem.. (someone correct me if I'm wrong), DVD movies that are widescreen enhanced or anamorphic , when output from your dvd player onto your 16x9 TV , if the TV is set to FULL MODE, the tv isn't doing any stretching at all. Your getting FULL resolution without and distortion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I know the true test.....I'll check to see what mode the TVs are on at BB or Sears that have HD signal going into them....

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by batman697
My concern is that the FULL mode causes the image to lose quality when it stretches it horizontally.
If you are talking about anamorphic dvd's here, properly output for 16:9 TV's by your dvd player, then the TV isn't really stretching this image per se. Rather, it is UNSQUISHING (if you will) the full resolution, squished image from the anamorphic dvd.

Clear as mud now? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.