AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is normal or what. Maybe someone here can explain how this works. Here's the scenario.

I at some time in the past scheduled a movie on HBO to tape last night. But, I had a DVD that I wanted to copy to my replay so before the HBO movie started to record I started to schedule a DVD to manual record. When I tried to confirm it told me that I had a conflict and asked if I wanted to continue recording with the new recording. I answered yes. So far, so good.

But, then when I went to find the HBO movie in my Replay Guide (just the scheduled block, not the actual movie), it wasn't there. I had planned on selecting it and finding when it next went on and rescheduling it. So what happens to a scheduled block in the Guide if I choose to record something instead of it?

In any case, I assumed it was deleted per some RTV rule. So I tried, from my machine, to skip over to another networked 5040 in my house and record it there. But, I got a message that said that the movie was already scheduled to record on that machine but with different features and that if I wanted to change my options I needed to do it from that machine. I checked the guide on the networked machine from my machine, and the movie was not scheduled to record there. I physically went to the machine and set up the record. No problem.

Now, my question is, if I overide a show like that, does the RTV just automatically record it to a machine with no conflicts? And if this is so, why doesn't it ask me if that's what I want to do when I'm scheduling? What if I just decided to record it later or not at all? Just curious.

Thanks for the help.

-em

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
If you override a one-time record with a manual record, don't expect the originally scheduled block to remain. Since the time for recording it has passed, then it becomes a non-event. You can always go back to the channel guide, up to 24 hrs back to select the missed show and find all episodes.

The second part may be unrelated. The past few days I've had repeated instances of failure to record a conflicting request with the bogus message that either it was already scheduled on the remote unit or there wasn't enough disk space to record it. And no, there is no automatic record on a remote machine in case of conflict, one has to manually request it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
If you override a one-time record with a manual record, don't expect the originally scheduled block to remain. Since the time for recording it has passed, then it becomes a non-event. You can always go back to the channel guide, up to 24 hrs back to select the missed show and find all episodes.
Thanks, what you say makes sense - I didn't have my 5040 long enough to really remember how they handled conflicts before the last upgrade, but I think I kinda remember the grey blocks. Have the grey blocks disapeared now that the "guaranteed" record is gone? I did go to the channel guide to "find all" - but in this case the movie hadn't started yet - so I was going forward not back. But it's still weird to me. The time slot hadn't passed. I was recording manually at 11:??pm for 2hrs 20 mins. The HBO movie didn't start till 12:35am. So it automatically deletes the block. I guess I just wonder why it doesn't ask if I want to record it to a networked machine instead of just informing me of the conflict and deleting it.

Quote:
The second part may be unrelated. The past few days I've had repeated instances of failure to record a conflicting request with the bogus message that either it was already scheduled on the remote unit or there wasn't enough disk space to record it. And no, there is no automatic record on a remote machine in case of conflict, one has to manually request it. [/b]
Now that you mention it, I remember this happening last week with HBO's Carnivale. I thought I had just forgotten that I had set it up on the second machine. But when I checked it wasn't there. Wonder where this new(?) problem is coming from.

thanks,

-em

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.