AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often, when I power up my SIR-T165 (using the remote power key) the analog channels have a digital "hash" on them and tuning to any digital channel results in no reception (only the red "Digital" light comes on, not the HD or Dolby Digital lights.) Rebooting the unit a few times will usually result in the problem resolving itself.

The hash visually is made up of vertical lines taking up the entire height of the screen spaced at intervals; you can see the picture through them, almost as if it's an overlay, somewhat reminiscent of the "Matrix" effect.

Anyone know if this is normal, due to a broadcaster in the area sending bogus psips (I get the "Hello" lockup due to that on occasion) or if it's something else? I can't imagine it's a hardware failure as it does go away as long as I leave the tuner on, but I suppose it could be a flaky frame buffer or something.

It's done this since the day I received it about two weeks ago and just assumed it was a glitch but wanted to make sure. Once the glitch is resolved it does not recur unless I use the power key or front panel button; if I leave the tuner turned on it's fine.

FWIW, it generates incredible pictures via DVI, much better than what another ATSC box I own can put out via component; my only other complaint is that it runs incredibly hot...

· Registered
287 Posts
I have the same issue with my T165. It pro badly happens 1 out of 5 times I turn on the box. I have had my box for about 6 months and I did not start to see this until the last month or so.

I used to get the Hello lockup issue on about 50% of the HD channels in my area (Tucson, AZ), I now only get it on the PBS station. Samsung says PBS is broadcasting incorrectly and PBS says the Samsung box is wrong. PBS claims to test on other brands with no issues.

Since you have only had the T165 box for about 2 weeks you might think about returning it for a more robust piece of equipment. From my experience this is a very finicky box.

· Registered
320 Posts
I had one of these, and never had any problems with it. How strong are your signals? Is the antenna aimed properly?

· Registered
82 Posts
I had a T-150 that also had intermittant problems when turning it on. Sent back for repair several times for about a year. Then they finally replaced it with a T-165.

At first I was very happy with their soloution...until I started having the same problem that you are describing here. Samsung emailed me 2 software upgrades ( both v310, but one was supposed to be "better" than the other ) which I installed. They now claim they never heard of this problem and at this point, because I am beyond the original warranty period, I would have to pay for the repair.

Now, I am just living with it and waiting for the next generation of tuners to come out. One thing I know for sure, I will steer clear away from Samsung.

In the meantime, if anyone has any solutions to this problem, please post it here. Did you have this problem out of the box? What software version do you have installed? I wonder if this problem is software related.

Side note: My coax out also died shortly after receiving this unit. Don't know if it's related or not.

Also, they no longer make the T-165.

Paul

· Registered
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the problem out of the box; I've got another unit coming from Amazon right now so if it does the same thing I'll just return both otherwise I'll send the first back for a refund.

Every HD STB seems to have issues - the LGs seem no better and a combo satellite/ATSC receiver I have actually puts incorrect voltages on some of the DVI pins (!). I honestly can't think of another box that will do what I need (ATSC and NTSC as I have a tuner-less plasma display and do not subscribe to cable thus I need to get my locals OTA.)

I guess I'll just leave the box powered on for now, see if the replacement is any better, and "reboot" whichever one I keep, if any, as needed after power failures. :(

BTW, I have software version _132, which I've been told differs from the _134 version people have been receiving directly from Samsung only in that it is installed during manufacturing rather than via download...

· Registered
287 Posts
I did not have the hash problem out of the box. Have always had the Reboot Hello problem. Forgot how to check my software version. Steve from Samsung sent me a new version labeled V310, but from the horror stories about this version I have not applied it. He said it only fixes DVI picture shift issue. I get the hash line out of the component video outputs.

· Registered
82 Posts
Mine was fine for a few weeks to a month before it started with the intermittent hash problem. It came with a version under _122. Can't remember but I think it was something like _110. It now reads version _134.

If you would like to see what version you have, go to "Help on" so that the on - off selections appear. (with on highlighted) press info. At the bottom of the setup screen, the end of the first set of digits is the version number.

· Registered
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll let you all know when I get my replacement, but I suspect the long term fix is to just leave the tuner on and power cycle as necessary when the hash shows up.

The fix for the other problem is equally simple (though annoying) - connect a good A/B switch with one side disconnected to the RF in of the T-165 to make it easy to disconnect the antenna cable as required, as bad PSIP data will always be a possibility I'm afraid...

· Registered
82 Posts
I received the CD software and cable from Samsung. Steve said this might take care of the hash line issue.

Even thought it appeared to be the same version as I already had installed in the past(_134), I gave it a try. Of course, no luck. The unit seemed to work ok for about 6 days (although I didn't use it every one of those days) then last night it took 14 tries before the unit came on.

If anyone every finds a soloution to this problem, short of getting a new one and tossing this one, please post.

Thanks,

Paul

· Registered
82 Posts
Update - FWIW, Sent my t165 in for repair last Monday, included a typed note of the hash problems and that they were intermittant, digital coax problem, etc. I also asked that they return it in the same box.

Unit arrived back to me on Thursday, in a DVD Referb. box wrapped in bubblepak. I Hooked it up, plugged it in and there it was, the hash lines were still there. It's almost like they just received it, exchanged boxes, then sent in back.

On a positive note, my digital coax connector was fixed and is now working!

Samsungs service group is now batting 0 for 4 since I purchased my original t151 that they could not fix, and was eventually replaced with the t165. Thanks to Samsungs customer support with Steve Plechey who has been second to none!

One question for kucharsk, is the software version on your replacement unit less than _3**. Although I didn't use it much before getting into the software upgrade loop, I don't recall this problem cropping up until after that. Just curious.

Thanks,

Paul

· Registered
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both of my 165s, the one with the hash problem and the one without, were SW rev _132.

We'll see if any problems crop up when they get my box back to me with the broadcast flag update...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.