AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am VERY new to this. I was eventually (not in near future) going to get a new hd rptv to replace my toshiba 50". I want at least a 70" RPTV, but considering the cost I could MAYBE go with a projector and screen. I mostly watch regular TV though. Is that not a good idea due to the bulb life? It`s the kind of environment that the TV stays on all day sometimes, 6,8,10 hours. I have a sat dish that will be HD and watch a lot of PPV and some DVD`s. What do you guys think? Just from the very brief reading here, I`m leaning towards the Sanyo PLV-60HT, but that`s a bit much for me. I know you get what you pay for. Also can I put the projector on the floor as opposed to the ceiling? Under a coffe table enclosed on 3 sides? Room is 12 X 20+ I was thinking of a 100" screen that drops down (auto)The room is relatively dark. thanks

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
There really isn't anything wrong with using a FPTV for regular TV viewing...as long as you don't mind the cost. Bulbs for front projectors can range anywhere from $300.00 and up and usually are only good for 1000-2000 hours. One other thing to consider is that if this room is not light controled, you will not have a very good picture during the daytime (washed out). It would work fine at night, though.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe you should keep the toshiba and add a projector. Continue to use the tosh for casual tv. In the main living space I keep a 36" wega that I use to watch SD shows and I leave it on in the background often. When I want to watch a DVD or HD programming I go into the HT room. This way you get the best of both worlds.

As far as putting the projector under a coffee table or on the floor, you can do that but I would think you would have some keystone issues when projecting up on the screen. The projectors are configured to throw the bottom or top of the image about parallel with the lens. If you were to place the projector on the floor the image would be projected a floor level. You could angle it up but you would have to deal with keystone correction and if you do that digitally you give up resolution. If you don't want to do a ceiling mount you may want to consider a shelf.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have front projection for movie viewing only. That doesn't mean you should stay away from FP for tv viewing only, but I would go with a crt projector if tv viewing is the only thing you'll be doing. Crts are good for many years and hours, but they do require maintenance, and unless you are comfortable with things like convergence, you are probably better off with an lcd or dlp projector. Frankly, if I only wanted to watch TV and wanted a big picture, I'd go for a rear projection tv.Single lens projectors (D-ILA, LCD and DLP) have expensive lamps, and there are times when lamps don't last the expected 1000 to 2000 hours. There are horror stories of lamps giving out at less than 100 hours.

However, the final decision here is yours.If you want your TV on a really big screen, then it will probably be FP for you.Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.