AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I read that with the Norstone Stylum 3 speaker stands, you can fill them with sand for more stability. I just got mine today and looking at the bottom, it seems the sand would just leak out. If anyone has these, would the sand leak out if you fill it with sand?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Hi all, I read that with the Norstone Stylum 3 speaker stands, you can fill them with sand for more stability. I just got mine today and looking at the bottom, it seems the sand would just leak out. If anyone has these, would the sand leak out if you fill it with sand?
I'd use a garbage bag, actually. Slip the bag in, pour the sand into the bag, and tie it off.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the main poles of this stand have a bar across both ends. if I slip a bag in there and fill it with sand, i won't be able to take the bag out. so I'll pass on that. I think the stand is heavy enough as it is. Another question. Right now I have spikes as the feet with the pucks so it doesn't damage my wood floor. I'm thinking of buying rubber feet instead. Is there an audible difference in sound between the two?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
the main poles of this stand have a bar across both ends. if I slip a bag in there and fill it with sand, i won't be able to take the bag out. so I'll pass on that. I think the stand is heavy enough as it is. Another question. Right now I have spikes as the feet with the pucks so it doesn't damage my wood floor. I'm thinking of buying rubber feet instead. Is there an audible difference in sound between the two?
I don't see why you'd need/want to take the bag of sand out once you've got it in there... 🤷‍♂️

Don't believe there'd be much difference between the spikes/rubber feet, but the spikes would have a much narrower point of contact with the floor, which may result in better isolation of the stands/speakers.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but the spikes would have a much narrower point of contact with the floor, which may result in better isolation of the stands/speakers.
right, and does this result in an audible improvement in sound?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
right, and does this result in an audible improvement in sound?
Guessing there's no real difference. The only way to answer that is if you experiment with both.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an idea. right now if I move the stands, the spikes move off the pucks which is a pain in the arse. so I'm going to replace those pucks with these felt pads I have. the spikes will go into the felt pads a bit and grip them. then when I want to move the stands a bit, they will slide easier and the spikes won't move off the pads. I might even do the same thing for the little spikes on the top plate. or i might buy that putty that alot of people use.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I have an idea. right now if I move the stands, the spikes move off the pucks which is a pain in the arse. so I'm going to replace those pucks with these felt pads I have. the spikes will go into the felt pads a bit and grip them. then when I want to move the stands a bit, they will slide easier and the spikes won't move off the pads. I might even do the same thing for the little spikes on the top plate. or i might buy that tac tape that alot of people use.
I just put the felt pads on the bottom of the pucks. They slide along my wood floor with no problems.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just put the felt pads on the bottom of the pucks. They slide along my wood floor with no problems.
that won't work because the spikes will move off the pucks. the pucks are made of metal, so there is no grip even though the pucks have a little dimple in them for the spike to sit on.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
that won't work because the spikes will move off the pucks. the pucks are made of metal, so there is no grip even though the pucks have a little dimple in them for the spike to sit on.
It works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It works fine for me.
so I guess you have the same stands? I notice that if you assemble them exactly according to the instructions, the oval hold that's on the top and bottom plates get covered. I assume those holes are for the speaker wires? anyways, I turned those plates around so the oval holes are not covered up. but now the narrow pole is in front of the thicker pole which is now how its shown in pictures. But I guess that doesn't really matter. Sure I can turn the stands around so the thicker pole is in front, but then the Norstone name would be in the back. I know this all doesn't really matter, but just wondering if you noticed this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts