AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been said time and time again, but, this film looks sweet on DVD.

Who did the transfer on this? I like them to redo most of my new DVDs like, Chicago, Grease and many many others.

For heaven's sake, Deep Blue Sea at $5.88 in the Walmart bin looks better than 90% of all my DVDs! In fact, like I said before, Final Destination 2 and Jason X look nearly the best of all my DVDs.

Look for the "less-than" $10 DVDs for your best picture quality!:)

or

Wait out the first three releases and get the xtreme edition in third quarter.

They'll catch on sooner or later. Or, maybe not. I would assume the masses make no distinction. And, on a "TV" you probably can't anyway, so, I guess they know what they're doing.

But, I'm hip to the trend, now. I am now an informed shopper!:D

Not bad for an old dude!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I agree with you that it sometimes seems that it's axiomatic that the cheaper the DVD, the better the transfer. And often the worse the movie, the better the transfer. lol.

North By Northwest is a real exception to the latter, of course.

But I think the secret to how terrific it looks on DVD and on a projection TV of any kind (and why it's not so easy to duplicate that look in every case) is that Robert Burks, the great cinematographer and longtime Hitchcock collaborator, shot NBNW in mostly lovely pastels (at Hitchcock's request) and they transfer particularly easily and beautifully onto video media. A happy, accidental outcome probably.

He did that, partially at least, because of the lighter, more comical tone of NBNW compared with the darker, more serious tone of his previous film, Vertigo. Hitchcock almost never repeated the look or the tone of one film in his next film, especially after he began to routinely shoot them in color.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Thanks for the tip on "North By Northwest. "An Evening With the Dixie Chicks", 9 bucks at Costco, was obviously shot with High Definition video, the Audio is also amazing.

·
Registered
28,414 Posts
North by Northwest underwent an extensive film restoration prior to its release on DVD. That's why it looks good. A lot of money was spent cleaning it up.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Josh Z,

Restorations certainly help, but wouldn't you say that the previous laserdisc versions of North By Northwest also looked particularly good compared with most other laserdiscs on the market at the time? I assume this was long before any recent restoration done for the DVD release.

I think there are lots of recently restored versions of 1959 era films, including other Hitchcock films, that still don't pop out as looking so beautiful on video media today as NBNW does.

Not a lot of controversy here, but if it really is due to it's restoration technology, we could probably toss out the Super-Bit angle in favor of whatever it was they used to restore NBNW. LOL.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
As I recall, Warner's restoration of North By Northwest is actually a video restoration, not a film restoration. Warner's transfer and post work included a never-before used digital process that was developed to correct for yellow layer failure in film elements, which was one of the major problems with the surviving elements for this film.

Unless more work on the film elements has continued since the DVD release that I haven't heard about, then there is no restored Vista Vision film element for North By Northwest right now.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
It looks so good you can clearly tell Mount Rushmore is a fake- the rocks look like styrofoam.
Oh Man, you've ruined it for me, I thought it was shot on location.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Quote:
I thought it was shot on location.
If I recall correctly from the "making of" extras on the DVD, Hitch wanted to film it on location, but was denied permission.

·
Registered
28,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hitchfan
Restorations certainly help, but wouldn't you say that the previous laserdisc versions of North By Northwest also looked particularly good compared with most other laserdiscs on the market at the time?
Not really, actually. They were pretty average-looking.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert George
As I recall, Warner's restoration of North By Northwest is actually a video restoration, not a film restoration. Warner's transfer and post work included a never-before used digital process that was developed to correct for yellow layer failure in film elements, which was one of the major problems with the surviving elements for this film.

Unless more work on the film elements has continued since the DVD release that I haven't heard about, then there is no restored Vista Vision film element for North By Northwest right now.
Robert, I think you're right. I misspoke. Still, the point is that they spent a lot of time and money cleaning it up for DVD.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertR
If I recall correctly from the "making of" extras on the DVD, Hitch wanted to film it on location, but was denied permission.
My original post was meant as a joke, the Rushmore stuff always seemed fake to me. Anyway I find your comment very interesting because Hitchcock hated to shoot on location.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Vertigo also looks good/great. There is an interesting restoration extra on it also. I maybe wrong but I seem to remember on the restoration extra that the comment was made that Vertigo was in the worst shape of any of the Hitchcock American films. I have also experienced the DVD PQ/ Movie Q myself.

Mark

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Still, the point is that they spent a lot of time and money cleaning it up for DVD.
Indeed, and money well spent it was. One of my ten "desert island" movies and the DVD is nothing short of phenomenal.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
It's a shame that most of these so called restorations can never be shown in a theater. Sure the dvd looks great but the negative and other real film elements are fading in a drawer somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.