AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime in the next week, I'm taking my Time-Warner digital cable boxes and throwing them into the face of whoever is behind the counter.

There is a slim chance that the wife will approve a satellite system, OTA antenna, 1 HD and one regular recievers.

I called my guy at NOW A/V in Winston-Salem, and didn't like the $1200 price he gave me, so I ask you who did you use? Will I be able to pull in all four networks in HD (I know FOX isn't really HD)? This is all really new and strange to me, so any help would be appreciated from whoever wants to chime in.

Brands, installers, dealers, ANYTHING. Thanks

-A mind-blown wannabe HD guy

------------------

"The Living Room Theatre"
  • Sony 36XBR400
  • Sony STR-DE945
  • Pioneer Elite DV-C36
  • Definitive Tech. (4)PC80's,

PC100 center, ProSub 10

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Have you considered a self install for the Sat system? I assume you want DirecTV since that is all NOW! carries. You only need the one elliptical dish for that. You can probably use your existing house wiring as long as it is RG6 and not RG59 that way you just run your cables right to where the Time Warner cable line comes in your house and use the multiple receivers you want, if you have RG59, you will have to run some wires but it is still not that difficult.

You can buy the stuff off the net and save some good money. I have Dish but I'm sure someone can dig up a few links for you for DirecTV stuff.

As far as what stations you can pick up, I am not sure about WS, I'm in Morrisville. Check www.antennaweb.org to see what it says for your location.

·
Registered
623 Posts
As far as stations as concerned. Your best bet would to try and pick up the Charlotte stations. The Triad area stations are not to go digital until May 2002. I do know that NOW audiovideo in Greensboro is able to pick up WRAL. They also told me that they can pick up WBT in Charlotte but this I cannot confirm. I am picking up in Elon with an CM4251 Parascope installed in the attic. So depending exactly where you live and your attenna it might be possible to get it.

------------------

nick

·
Registered
399 Posts
Let me suggest that you downgrade your cable to "lifeline" service at least until you know for sure what local channels you will be able to get OTA or via DSS.

It should cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 a month and it is cheaper to downgrade and disconnect later than to cancel and find out you need to re-install cable for the locals, then pay them an installation fee again.

Receiving a decent signal on my locals has been the biggest problem for me since I switched to DSS and I wish, in retrospect, that I had kept the lifeline service instead of getting P**** at Comcast and having the service disconnected completely. Now it would cost me close to $50 to have it restored.

Just a suggestion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.