AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the north side of Chicago (4500n). I'm guessing maybe 6 miles or so from where just about everything is being transmitted. I figured being so close I could probably get an indoor antenna to work but so far haven't had much luck. I'm using one of those MegaWave antennas right now and have a lot of dropouts. WGN I can't ever seem to get a signal. So I figured I might just bite the bullet and try to get an antenna on the roof. Any recommendations on what I would use being this close? The other posts I've seen were mainly concerning locations farther out. I'm in a 3 story building. There's nothing really taller than that close by. I figure I need a VHF/UHF for when CBS eventually starts broadcasting on channel 3.

Also I was planning on using a diplexer because I'm not allowed to run any more wires to the roof. Are there any problems with using those that I should be aware of? Any help would be appreciated.

-Andy

·
Banned
410 Posts
Before you make any major purchases you should at least give the Radio Shack Double Bowtie a try. I don't remember the cat no. right now but if you can't find it let me know and I will hunt it down for you. (you can also search the HW forum. This antenna has been covered quite a bit here).

Trust me, from 6 miles there is no reason why the RS double bowtie shouldn't work for you. I have successfully used this antenna from over 25 miles away!

Frankly, I'm suspicous why a simple UHF loop doesn't work at that distance so consider it might be the way you are hooking up your antenna.

Anyway, good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
239 Posts
The RS part number is 15-623.

Good luck.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I'm at the same distance (Lawrence and Kedzie) and a rabbit ears and bow tie did not work with my first generation reciever, a Unity Motion HDR-1000. This may sound insane, but I bought Radio Shack's cheapest outdoor VHF/UHF antenna and set it up indoor. I have it in the space behind my front projection screen. Works great!

·
Registered
823 Posts
The Radio Shack double bowtie antenna is a good idea to try. You should keep in mind, though, that WBBM-DT (once it's actually broadcasting) will be on VHF channel 3, and the bowtie is UHF only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.