AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I have always wanted a dedicated room, years of moving around and never having any space that could be remotely used has made that impossible. Until now! This space is far from ideal but I think I can make it work. It has a few challenges that I am going to have to overcome. The room is two bedrooms in the basement of our new house that came with 8 bedrooms LOL. The room is roughly 24' long by 12 feet wide. Yes I know needs to be wider
. But I think it can be done also a major flaw is that it has two windows, that the wife will not let me completely remove as she does not want me to have to stucco the outside. My plan is to build a window plugs of some sort that can be opened only for cleaning the glass and or removing dead bugs. The plugs will also double as acoustic panels. This will be my first build. I have done quite a bit of tinkering with surround sound systems and things of that nature but never done anything to crazy.

The entire house is already integrated with Control4 lights/ door locks/ cameras/ TVs the works. So the lighting and everything can easily utilize this system. I already have an extra 250 controller that can be used solely for the theater.

Overall Wants out of the theater list.

Semi sound deadened ( thinking just the two drywall method with GG)

great picture

great sound( BIG bass)

nice seating 2 rows riser second row

Stage/ false wall screen wall

soffett with decent lighting/ rope lighting riser and ceiling.

nice carpet /paint trim

This is just a thing I was messing with in sketch-up but the dimensions are not correct

Now I am not looking to pay someone to do a design for me as that money will be spent on the build itself. But I am open to ideas on this tough space in regards to seating placement screen size and placement. And anything else you can think of. I am very handy and have done a basement remodel in the past. My good friend is a contractor/ new construction builder. And I will be using him for help along the way. Some items like taping and floating will be shopped out..

I am completely open to any ideas or suggestions about the room, and build. So with that said does anyone have any idea how to start this thing LOL

PLEASE EXCUES THE MESS WALLS ARE COMING DOWN.

Here is a few pictures of the room. I have no set plans or drawings. I planned to do that once all the demo of the a joining closets were torn out. Then it will be on to removing the doors and closing them up.

I will get some better pictures of the space as soon as I get the wall completely out and the room cleared.

With that said 24x12 room bless me with your ideas!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Let me start by saying please mind my grammar. I know I suck. But it should be understandable.

It has been quite some time and I have not been back. Some family health issues put it on hold for quite some time. But now I am looking to tear into yet again. I am looking for some guidance on lay out for this room. Room measures before I ripped out the dry wall 24.5 x 12 with 9 foot ceiling. Again the elephant in the room is the two windows
I will be building some sort of plug to block them out but it needs to be where I can leave the blinds on the inside and open it to change the batteries on the security sensors and clean out the bugs every few years.I also would like to have the largest screen that I can fit up front that is why I am planning a AT screen with speakers behind the false wall/AT fabric wrapped

The part that I want some advise on is the entry point and stage/false screen wall and riser placement. Here are some pictures of the room as it sits now. Almost all demo is done with the exception of the existing outside wall. I have refrained from pulling this drywall thus far as the outside wall does already have insulation. And if I can with your advise get by with just putting up a second layer of DW with GG on this outside wall it could help me with time and budget, Also as I will elaborate later into the post Width is a concern for me.

This is a picture of looking down the room at what I picture as the screen wall It backs a bathroom as you can see by the plumbing

Here is a picture of the outside of the room looking down the hall you can see both the current doors that lead into the space.

And here is a picture looking at the space from the other direction.

Lastly is the view from the back corner facing what I picture as the entry door.

My current plan was to use the existing framed entry door (single door) and put in a solid door that swings out into the hall. To free up space. Or have it swing in towards the stage. I was planning on framing out the current double door and walling it in. I don't have the exact measurement to the first door if I need to get it I can. In my head this has me entering the room between the stage and first row. Does anyone see issues with this plan or have advise?

I am not sure how much sound proofing I will be doing but I do want to do it with the restrictions of my room. This is from reading here. I need to keep the sound out of the living room above and be able to watch movies while the wife is watching something else up stairs. The width of the room poses me a challenge as I am not sure it is worth it to lose 6" in width on this room. That could pose a problem for my planned seating. I want to have a 3 seat recliner setup up front and a 4 seat in the back row. I would like if I can to have steps on each side of the front row. I know I will do r19 in the ceiling and I do currently have plans to do clips and channel on the ceiling with osb and one layer of 5/8 drywall with GG. I was thinking the same thing on the screen wall and back wall and the room is long enough. The sound proofing that I am struggling with is the wall to the hall. I don't want it to get to narrow. I was thinking on that wall just 2 layers of 5/8th with GG and r13 in the walls.

I am open to any and all advise

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,973 Posts
Welcome back

"But I am open to ideas on this tough space in regards to seating placement screen size and placement"

130 wide acoustically transparent screen 2.35, use a couple of feet behind screen wall for speakers and two subs 25 % in from side walls , A couple of subs along back wall 25% in from sides, see the JBL/Harmon white paper on multiple subs.
back of first row 12 ft from screen
back of second row 18.5 ft

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you very much for your input Big in DC. I have been reading your builds for inspiration over the last few years.

I will have some measurements today . To the door openings and a rough sketch. To move this process along. Your input has the info I need to see if the current door will work with the seating plans. Thank you again

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Need some input on this. Code in Arizona requires buildings over a set Sq requires a fire sprinkler system. Our house is 4600 sf and was built with one in place. I have 2 sprinklers in the theater room. Now my question before I get going on insulation is how should I handle these ? Backer boxes ?? See attached photos I am thinking out loud I am positive that I will have to have a plumber come out depressurize the system and extend the heads down to a level that puts them below the resilient and 2 layers of 5/8 DW.

Today was spent pulling every nail and screw in the studs and ceiling. Although I can do basic electrical work I am having an electrician come over in the morning to look and give me a bid on making the changes to the wiring I need.. Moving the switched and adding plugs for the projector and riser. Tomorrow I also plan to run a 6" Flex line to where I am going to build my dead box for the return. on the hvac system. All my speaker wiring I am planning on running into the soffit and down the shallow columns.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok , Had a great talk with Ted today from the sound proofing company... Based on the limitations of my space we came up with a plan that will add the most value based on my design and plans. Original plan was to decouple all the walls using channel clips and GG. This was going to intrude into the space and limit the design/width. After talking with him on how the space will be used and how the family watches movies together exc. It was decided the main focus will be the ceiling. R19 ib1 clips 2 layers DD and GG on the ceiling. All the walls will be done with R13 and 2 layers of 5/8. It was noted that he said the the value I would get from doing GG on the walls would not be worth the expense of it. He was clear that it would make a difference just not enough that it was worth the expense in my case. 90% of the time our family watches movies together So now that I have a plan of attack I ordered the needed stuff and will begin the process of making the box!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where once there was double doors now there is a wall. Next up window plugs. Wiring will start Tuesday and sound proofing supplies should be here next. Drywall shortly after. Will have a box by Christmas and stage and riser shortly after

Attachments

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Following along. We have same dimensions except in 22 deep. I can tell u stick with 5 seats total. 2 and 3. With two seats up front you should be able to get ur sides and surrounds a good distance from ear height. Big gave you some great info too regarding subs. Same thing I'm doing. Two up front two to balance the rear. Try to nail down ur speaker placement next. Depending on door placement that will be the hardest thing. The rears since you are only 12 wide might be off a bit but don't worry some acoustic expects like them a bit closer together others further apart. You can correct for it. what kind of speaker layout you thinking?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am leaning 7.2 to start. I have a Denon AVR x4000 That can do 9.2 but I was leaning to 7.2. I will however run conduit for all Atmos locations. My door placement lands about 5.5 feet from the back of my first row. It will swing out into the hall to save room in the theater. My speaker placement for the side surrounds has been a concern. I wanted to get the viewing set up first. I am planning on a 4.5' deep stage with the Screen sitting at around 3' This will give me plenty of room behind the screen and 2 feet behind the back row. Initially my plan was to run all the speaker wiring in the soffit and drop the speaker placement where I needed later. Likely mounting V8 volt angled surrounds high up in shallow columns that narrow at the bottom only a few inchs wide and bigger at the top. Something along these lines might just be a little more narrow at the bottom. My seating That I am looking at front row 3 seat is about 100' wide. That gives me just under 2 feet for the steps on each side. I could look at changing to 2/3 seating I guess. That would allow for much better seats in the first row for sure... You got me thinking now

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Ok so first. 2 feet behind ur rear row is not far enough off the back wall for the seats there for atmos to get the 5 feet from ear. 3 feet is fine but five is better. My rear seats are 3.5 feet off rear wall but still didn't get the end seats at 5 feet ear. So I wouldn't worry about all seats making the proper ear mark so plan for front row being the sweet spots.

Also if u are thinking atmos then ur surrounds need to be no higher than half the cieling height and also no higher than 1.25x the tweeter height of ur front tweeters. If u ever plan on going atmos you need to keep those surrounds at ear level or like I said above.

Also if u run conduit for atmos you have to make sure the speakers you use hit the main listening position so you place the conduit right unless you place em in soffits where you can vary the placement. Also those atmos speakers need to be in line with front left right as much as possible. There is a lot with atmos. It's very possible just takes some thinking. You need to get a pic up with the layout so it's easier to see things when u get a chance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Jimim, based off your recommendations And talking with a few others some changes have been made to the layout. going to go with the 2 seat 3 seat setup. Using painter tape and measurements I now have 2'6" behind the screen wall and has allowed me to move my rear row forward enough to allow for 3' off the back wall

Things are still moving forward All rough electrical wiring is in, and the tube farm has begun to take shape for the future proofing. I did run tubing for atmos 7.1.4 placing the speakers in line with L,R fronts and just in front of the first row about 2.5 feet. The rear set up is very close also
The angles are in line with this lay out
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html4

Pictures of Blue tube mess!!! going in to the room. Still a mess but making progress. This is going to be one heck of a bunch of surmph

My AV rack will go into the Huge storage closet on the other side of the hall from the theater room. The tubes in the picture above show them turning and running down the joist to that storage room. Here is a picture and you can just see the door frame to that area behind the step ladder. I may put the rack into the wall in the hall with locking glass front. Not sure yet

Attachments

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Jimim, based off your recommendations And talking with a few others some changes have been made to the layout. going to go with the 2 seat 3 seat setup. Using painter tape and measurements I now have 2'6" behind the screen wall and has allowed me to move my rear row forward enough to allow for 3' off the back wall

Things are still moving forward All rough electrical wiring is in, and the tube farm has begun to take shape for the future proofing. I did run tubing for atmos 7.1.4 placing the speakers in line with L,R fronts and just in front of the first row about 2.5 feet. The rear set up is very close also
The angles are in line with this lay out
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html4

Pictures of Blue tube mess!!! going in to the room. Still a mess but making progress. This is going to be one heck of a bunch of surmph

My AV rack will go into the Huge storage closet on the other side of the hall from the theater room. The tubes in the picture above show them turning and running down the joist to that storage room. Here is a picture and you can just see the door frame to that area behind the step ladder. I may put the rack into the wall in the hall with locking glass front. Not sure yet
once you have 3 feet behind the rear row and you place ur rears at no more than 1.25x the tweeter for the lc's then you should have the needed 5 feet from speaker tweeter to ear. remember all heights are off the tweeters. for my lcr's i set my tweeter height a the half way point of ears for first and second row. then i figured out a comfortable height for the sides and rears not going above the 1.25x height of lc's but also kept those tweeters no higher than half of ceiling height. that game me the separation and distances i needed for ears.

with atmos speakers. i would ask the manufacture you choose for placement. i am using triad. they have a calculator coming out for dealers that place you atmos speakers based on their specs. this tells you where their speakers need to hit. a diff companies might be diff based on dispersion. your truly best bet from what i gathered from talking to a few diff companies involved directly with atmos was to be able to be flexible with their placement when the room is done to get best placement. in my case my speakers are in coffers in ceiling so i am going to finish room and not put the face of the coffers on so i can slide the speakers forward and backward for best placement. i have my guides from triad so i know my rears are good but my fronts are a bit wonky cause of a beam in the room for clearance of the speaker. get those lc's nailed down and the sides and rears and go from there. again you have to know your main listening position. mine is the half way point of both rows for how i placed speakers. its what i decided with triad cause of how the room is shaping up. we are trying to make all seats as good as possible. which won't happen but we are trying our best

jimi

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Progress is happening. We have DW!!!!

For the sound proofing the celing we ended up going with r19, ib1 clips, 7/8 hat with 5/8 OSB then GG and 5/8 DW. On the walls its r13 all the way around DD 5/8 with GG. I must say I am super impressed my Family room is directly above the theater and playing at reference level I can barely tell that my SVS pb1000 is even on upstairs. Go upstairs and its shaking the entire family room. All the drops you see coming into the room will end up in the sofit and will be run to where they go from there.

Next up will be the soffit and riser as soon as they get it taped and mudded. First pic is the screen wall second is the back of the room. Its funny how the pics make the room look so dang narrow but its still 12 feet wide and 24.5 feet long. Also that is not the door I will be using. It will swing out into the hall tha is 6' wide this is still the hollow core door. I will do something with the trim work to set it apart from the rest of the doors in the hall

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Only sad part about closing up the down stairs windows in this room is no more view from them. The rocks in the distance are the Granite Dells in Prescott az

May just have to call the theater the Granite View Theater

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts