AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Kinnelon about 30-35 miles form the WTC/Empire State Building. I have a nearby hill in the direction of NY.

With my current antenna (roof mounted UHF antenna without rotor or amplifier) I can only get CBS DTV.

If anyone else is in the vicinity I would be interested to hear if you have a better reception. I am trying to determine whether I should be content with the reception I have or whether to invest in another antenna/rotor/amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about the same distance, NW of NYC. I get FOX and CBS fine from ESB.

ABC is OK for NYPD, WPIX OK most of the time and get NBC with dropouts for Leno on Friday's. I have a DTC-100 and CM StealthTenna? on my roof.

Think the three WTC channels are still in testing. May switch my antenna

if NBC is still bad when at full power. You have to search

for the WTC three when they are transmitting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in Califon a good 50 miles from NYC. The single most important criteria for reception is the height of the antenna. Mine is mounted on my chimney, approximately, 30+ feet in the air. From 50 miles out using a rotor is not critical on picking up the ESB vs WTC. But is beneficial to swing the antenna around to pick up stations in Philadelphia or the Allentown-Reading area. A good quality UHF or VHF/UHF antenna with an amplifier is important too. I'm using Channel Master equipment for both and I highly recommend them.

When I first connected the ant/rotor/amp up to my tv I forgot to plug in the AC to the amplifier and reception was less than impressive. When I corrected my error the picture quality was outstanding.

IanB: add the amplifier mounted as close to the antenna as possible and see how/if things improve. Living closer to NYC may mean rotor will help.

raines: Some of CM products are sold at RS with the RS name on it. The rotor for instance. You have to move the antenna higher, if not on the roof can you get it into the attic? It should make a big difference.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Living 18 miles from NYC, a rotor has been absolutely necessary. With a DTC100 that is. I'm hoping that the Samsung SIR-T150 will allow me to use one antenna setting for all NYC stations, as the tuner has been reported to be 6-12 db more "sensitive."

Claude

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.