AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering this set streets at around 1200, with an MSRP of 1499, I would've thought that this set would garner a little more attention. Blacks better than Samsung plasmas and an HQV video processor for 1499.99 list. Street prices are a few hundred cheaper. It is my understanding that they are using Panny panels.

I am in the process of giving away my 46XBR4 and am looking into a plasma. Have been eyeballing the Panny [email protected] a local dealer, but in reality, this Vizio is almost half the price. Definitely more than half of a Pio 5020. The sheer price of the thing along with its features and reviews have sparked an interest in this set. What do you guys think? Here are some reviews...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...xvt_plasma_tv/

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Good post and the Vizio certainly got rave reviews on a price/performance basis. But the sad reality is that as long as people walk into the store clutching old Consumer Report reviews touting the Panasonic companies like Vizio will be passed over regardless of price. If people walk in with an open mind they may be surprised.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
This does seem to be the first set with some quality from them.

Still some things that make other manuf. panels at the same price range better(same with Hitachi Director's Series), but its' good to see they are growing in the right way.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15447939

Good post and the Vizio certainly got rave reviews on a price/performance basis. But the sad reality is that as long as people walk into the store clutching old Consumer Report reviews touting the Panasonic companies like Vizio will be passed over regardless of price. If people walk in with an open mind they may be surprised.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own set of facts.

Consumer Reports has given favorable recommendations on Vizio Plasma panels.

They did so, again, as recently as December, 4, 2008.

Here is the link:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...-con.html#more

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
What are there reasonings for "value"?

To have the 720p(entry level) from both Panny and Sammy scored in two such far away categories makes me think there isn't much rhyme to the reason.

As far as reliability, CR still shows Vizio out of the top tier.

But they are seemingly getting better.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
With the Panasonic 80/85u being the same price or less than this set there is really no reason to go with the less established Vizio.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe /forum/post/15453461

It's a Vizio.

It's also a Vizio with measured black levels better than a Panasonic 50PZ800, and a noticeably higher contrast level, which should give it more pop. Info taken from above reviews. The Silicon Optix Reon chip doesn't hurt either. For 1200 bucks, name me just one display that will outperform it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own it. It's awesome. That is all.

Really though if you are looking for a new tv don't buy into all this "It's a vizio how can it be good?" stuff. Try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/15447697

Considering this set streets at around 1200, with an MSRP of 1499, I would've thought that this set would garner a little more attention. Blacks better than Samsung plasmas and an HQV video processor for 1499.99 list. Street prices are a few hundred cheaper. It is my understanding that they are using Panny panels.

I am in the process of giving away my 46XBR4 and am looking into a plasma. Have been eyeballing the Panny [email protected] a local dealer, but in reality, this Vizio is almost half the price. Definitely more than half of a Pio 5020. The sheer price of the thing along with its features and reviews have sparked an interest in this set. What do you guys think? Here are some reviews...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...xvt_plasma_tv/

Where would this street for only 1200?

I see it only available for full $1499 msrp off of vizio website. Additional costs for shipping and tax as well. This puts it above street price for a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U.

·
Registered
38 Posts

It's also a Vizio with measured black levels better than a Panasonic 50PZ800, and a noticeably higher contrast level, which should give it more pop.

Though the VP505XVT Looks like a Great performer in the bang for the buck However there is no mention of the Panny PZ800U or comparison to the Panasonic Black level.

That seems to be the SammyA550 as being higher from reading the review.

Just mention of the lesser 85U that was liked Much but $700 more.

As taken from HTmag Comparisons & Conclusions section,

"I don't have direct experience with any plasmas that can compete with the VP505XVT in terms of its price/performance ratio. Tom Norton reviewed the Panasonic TH-50PZ85U ($2300) for Home Theater and liked it very much, but it's $700 more than the Vizio. He also reviewed the Samsung PN50A550 for HT, but it's the same price as the Panasonic, it's black level is substantially higher, and it didn't calibrate nearly as well as the Vizio."

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, there is no mention of a direct comparison. you need to read the reviews of those sets, and look under the 'measurements' to compare black level and contrast readings. I was quite surprised at the findings myself.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
How are Vizio sets in the reliability department?

I would worry about it being poorly manufactured with a price like that.

But I don't know.

Sounds like a good deal thats for sure.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/15454436

But I don't know.

Sounds like a good deal thats for sure.

Reliability and reliable service support are the big questions, when it comes to any Vizio product. They have a very poor history in those areas. They are supposed to have improved their warranty and service procedures, but HDGuru is still very doubtful about them. Here is a link to his most recent article, in which he spells out why products from Tier 3 manufacturing companies, such as Vizio, are probably not much of a bargain.

http://hdguru.com/will-you-pay-a-pri...hree-hdtv/325/

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/15454436

I'm currently considering the Viz 505 (along with Sam 650, Pan 800 and Pan 85Z)

If purchased at Costco you get the Viz mfgt 1 year plus 1 addtl year from Costco = 2 years out the door for no addt'l fee. That's another check mark in the 505 column.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
well,

just because you get a warranty, doesn't really mean that you won't be affected if the product goes kaput.

The whole process of having a set fixed per a warranty can be a long drawn out nightmare.

Alot of companies will do just about anything to keep from having to replace the set.

Which means they will try to fix the TV at all costs.

Which equals time without a TV while the repairman takes his sweet time fixing the set.

I had the CC extended warranty on my SXRD and ended up going over 3 months without a TV while the repairman supposedly was trying to fix the set.

In the end they ended up replacing the set becuase i raised so much cain about being without a TV for so long.

I should have just contacted sony directly instead of dealing with CC. because in the end CC just told sony to replace it.

The funny thing is I got a new XBR4 as a replacement and when I asked if the 5 year CC warranty I paid for will transfer over to my new XBR4, I was told NO and that I would have to buy a whole new extended warranty for the XBR4.

They said that the warranty is only good for one replacement.

I told them that they did not replace the set (Sony did) and they said it didn't matter.

So basically I spent over 400$ on an extended warranty for absolutly NOTHING because sony replaced the TV for free per the mFG warranty.

Bought an SXRD with a 5 year warranty and ended up 10 months later with an XBR4 with no extended warranty.

How is that for being covered??

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/15453560

It's also a Vizio with measured black levels better than a Panasonic 50PZ800, and a noticeably higher contrast level, which should give it more pop. Info taken from above reviews. The Silicon Optix Reon chip doesn't hurt either. For 1200 bucks, name me just one display that will outperform it.

It's not better it's about the same. They measured the Vizio as a .014 and the Panasonic measures between .009 and .015. Contrast is the same as well. Since it's using a Panasonic panel they're very similar. I would still get the Panasonic though for proven reliability at about the same price. The review is outdated saying the 85u is $700 more as well. You can get the 85u online for $1400 shipped, and after paying tax at Costco it's only ~$100 more than the Vizio.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts