AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 40 inch was too small and the 56 inch seemed a little big. So now the new 50 inch comes along and I celebrate. And it's coming out soon, so I celebrate some more. Then I find out there is another 50 inch model the HX with better lenses and crts and it's not much more. But it doesn't come out until September/October (at least that's what they say.) Does anyone know anything more about the differences, all I've heard is "better," but nothing tangible. Anyone know anything more? I must add one thing, the new widescreen models' stands are much more appealing aesthetically.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I suspect the differences are worth the wait if you consider yourself in the 'videophile' class. In addition to the 2 points you mention above, the HX also features a protective screen with an anti-reflective coating, the Blackstripe lenticular screen and an 'better' remote.

The CRTs, lenses and lenticular added together are a fairly substantial upgrade in optics. The A/R shield is nice too if your environment forces you to leave it on.

With all that said, you'd probably have to see the sets side-by-side to see any difference.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
John,

I'm planning on getting a new monitor in the next couple of months, so I've been following the Tosh threads with some interest. I have 2 questions for you: 1. Can you ship a set to the U.S. and 2. If I e-mail you, can I get a price quote? Either way, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thanks very much for the consideration, but among other headaches, Toshiba will not honor the warranty on a product bought cross-border (in either direction).

If you have any questions though, feel free to ask.

------------------

John Golitsis

www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just can't see a better lens, CRTS and other additions yet it just cost a few hundred more. Of course with prices going down a few hundred more is relatively more than it was even a year ago. Then again, if it is true, it will be hard to wait another couple months. I'm leaning toward the almost available 50H81 since I could care less about audio since I never use my TVs anyway and it comes out in 9 days.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone know if the larger sizes come out the same time? Like the 65?

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where did you get info that there was a different lens system. I was told the only diff in the H and HX models for the 50,56,65 was that the HX had a much better sound system in it the H had the generic crap sound.

Did they change something?

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dave,

From the Toshiba announcement (these are list prices).

Quote:
Toshiba series widescreen rear-projection models include the 42W-inch 42H81 ($2,699.99, August), the 50W-inch 50H81 ($2,999.99, July), the 57W-inch 57H81 ($3,499.99, July) and the 65W-inch 65H81 ($3,999.99, July).

The widescreen assortment includes the 50W-inch 50HX81, which ships in August at a $3,299.99 suggested retail; the 57W-inch 57HX81, priced at $3,799.99; and the 65W-inch 65HX81, priced at $4,299.99. The latter two ship in September.
The URL of this is...

Toshiba announcement

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wooderson, I checked out some early material that I have from Toshiba and it says that the 50H81 will have the same CRTs as the HX (Pegasus2). The newer material I have specifically states Pegasus2 for the HX, but makes no mention of the CRTs in the H sets.

I suspect that all the widescreen sets are using the new CRTs, with the possible exception of the 42".

------------------

John Golitsis

www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
284 Posts
Reading this article raises another confusing thing to consider in the battle of HDTV supremacy. All I keep hearing is how great the Pioneer Elites are, but why do they only have a 4-element lens system and the Toshibas have 6-element?

I am getting conflicting messages. The specs tell me the Toshiba is better, but everyone else tells me the Pioneer is better. I am going to wait until all these models (both Pioneer and Toshiba) are out so I can let my eyeballs do the judging. You can't beat the prices on those Toshibas though, that's for sure.

------------------

My current entertainment setup:

Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I, for one, hope that the above-information from our friend Johnny, via Toshiba, is accurate because I will be purchasing the 57H81 (not HX)if the CRT's and lens are the same...and I'll bet that a lot of others will pick this over the HX series if the only "real" difference is the cabinet and a juiced up sound system...which most of us would bi-pass for our own system. This will be interesting!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
John and others have mentioned differences in other threads in the past few weeks.

From widescreen review, this article (4th one down) doesn't even mention the H series:
http://db.widescreenreview.com/weekn...&Day=02&-find=

The sound doesn't WOW me either, but the other improements would if unique.

"Cinema-Series" seems to be the differentiator for the HX series.

I'm a big Toshiba fan (STBs & DVDs too), but they could be more straightforward in their "product positioning"

Tim

[This message has been edited by rudolpht (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
According to this PDF document , only the HX series models have the Pegasus II CRT tubes (thanks, Toshiba Canada!)

I've spent months trying to decide 4:3 vs 16:9, and direct-view vs. rear projection. After seeing these new sets, I'm starting to take a real liking to the 57HX81 (too bad the 65HX81 wouldn't fit thru the basement door!)

[This message has been edited by Sean Nelson (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow, this is the perfect thread for me. I'm considering getting an HDTV-ready RPTV in the next few months and I've been looking heavily at the Toshiba's. The new 50" sets look perfect for me.

Question for John and others who are familiar with the Toshiba optics - are the "Niltava Advanced Lens Technology" and Pegasus II CRTs a major upgrade in video quality over the 50H81's optics?

edaly

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
WOLVERNOLE, the lenses are definitely different between the 'H' and 'HX' models. There's no question about that.

edaly, I can only hope that the answer is 'yes'. I haven't seen any of the new sets yet, so it's just not possible to say for sure. Toshiba is making a pretty big stink about the CRTs though.

------------------

John Golitsis

www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Say John, before I get my hopes too high - are the prices on the NBT web site in Cdn$? In my quick once-over I didn't find anything that indicated one way or the other (aside from the Canadian address).

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
John-

My thanks once again for clarifying another technical issue! So, that does it for me--I am waiting it out for the 56HX81 for the $300 or so more for the projected upgrade in the picture quality. I make no moves (~October) until I hear from you and others on the actual quality differences. Please consider giving us your evaluation on the new CRT's, lens, 480 to 570, etc.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sean, those are indeed the fully calibrated, delivered to your door prices in Canadian dollars. Also, if you buy out-of-province, there is no Provincial Sales Tax charged (except to those HST provinces!)

WOLVERNOLE, I am humbled by your comments!

------------------

John Golitsis

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada www.nbtelectronics.com

[This message has been edited by JohnnyG (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
I purchased a 56H80 from Best Buy and it had some calibration problems. Since Best Buy is out of 56H80 inventory, they're giving me a 57H81 when they arrive. Is this good or bad? The one plus I heard about the new model is that it has an auto convergence function. Where can I find out more?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.