Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
I think this is really important for me to inform all of you buyers in advance before you go out and blow out a huge amount of your money for a nice, brand-new LCD television. This may not be important to buyers at all (or maybe), but I believe that it's very important for buyers to know and understand what products they are actually buying, and whether the products they spend on are worth it or not. So, here goes:

All Toshiba LCD televisions sized 27" and under are not made by Toshiba, but made and assembled either by LG Electronics or Orion Electric. LG Electronics, formally Goldstar, is a Korean electronic maker that currently produces electronic products under the Allegro, Goldstar, some Go Video, some Insignia, LG, and Zenith brands. Orion Electric is a Thai (Thailand) electronic maker that currently produces electronic products under the low-cost Broksonic, Durabrand, some Insignia, Memorex, Orion, and Sansui brands. Orion also manufactures and assembles all of Toshiba's CRT tube television models beginning this year and some for Panasonic.

On the other hand, all Toshiba LCD televisions sized 32" and larger are officially made and assembled by Toshiba. There are only four models available to choose from, and these are offically "real" Toshiba LCD TVs with "real" Toshiba picture quality.

Here's a list of all of the model numbers listed below if they are made by Toshiba, LG, or Orion:

Orion-made Toshiba LCD TVs: 14DLV75, 17HLV85, 20DL75, 20HL85, and 20HLV85.

LG-made Toshiba LCD TVs: 15DL75, 23HL85, 23HLV85, 27HL85, 27HL95, and 27HLV95.

Toshiba-made LCD TVs: 32HL95, 32HLX95, 37HL95, and 37HLX95.

Don't be fooled with LG, Orion, and Toshiba. All three of them produce their own electronics: circuitries, boards, power supplies, and maybe LCD screens, and they do not share parts with each others when producing products. On the other hand, all of Toshiba LCD TV models were designed by Toshiba (styling). Only the inside of the TV is different.

Toshiba, so far, is the only Japanese LCD TV brand to outsource some of their LCD TV models to other companies. All the other Japanese LCD TV brands, like JVC, Panasonic, Sharp, and Sony, still design and produce all of their own LCD TVs. I don't know what is up with Toshiba lately, but Toshiba has definitely got a really sick habit of outsourcing lately.

Walter Chan
This is really pissing me off.. Walt, is Toshiba outsourcing their DLP's to Orion too? It's really sad when a company purposly misleads the public into thinking they are buying a premium brand.. & it seems like this trend is getting worse.. Who cares if it says Toshiba on the TV when it's made by another company.. I'm glad you told me about the new CRT models.. I was seriously thinking about getting their new 34 line until I found out they were outsourced to Orion.. If I buy Toshiba, I want Toshiba to make my TV damit!! :mad:

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
This is really pissing me off.. Walt, is Toshiba outsourcing their DLP's to Orion too? It's really sad when a company purposly misleads the public into thinking they are buying a premium brand.. & it seems like this trend is getting worse.. Who cares if it says Toshiba on the TV when it's made by another company.. I'm glad you told me about the new CRT models.. I was seriously thinking about getting their new 34 line until I found out they were outsourced to Orion.. If I buy Toshiba, I want Toshiba to make my TV damit!! :mad:
DEFINITELY. I CAN'T EVER IMAGINE A COMPANY DOING THIS. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A HUGE FAN OF TOSHIBA IN THE PAST.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
DEFINITELY. I CAN'T EVER IMAGINE A COMPANY DOING THIS. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A HUGE FAN OF TOSHIBA IN THE PAST.

Anyway, to answer your question, Toshiba has not outsourced any of their projection televisions. All Toshiba projection televisions, including DLP, are still made by Toshiba.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's also interesting is that $2,200 is the lowest price I can get for a Toshiba-made LCD television. :mad: I don't even have $2,200 in my wallet right now, but only $1,500.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's also interesting is that $2,200 is the lowest price I can get for a Toshiba-made LCD television. :mad: I don't even have $2,200 plus tax in my wallet right now, but only $1,500. Will need to work more. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry, but there is a lot of misinformation in this post. I'm not denying that Toshiba is outsourcing, but don't think that everybody doesn't outsource, because they do.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Japan wrote the original book on outsourcing, partnering, whatever you want to tag it. Design and assembly are often outsourced, with final production control and marketing handled by the bigger name company. The difference today is that Japanses companies are reaching outside of Japan for some of these partnerships. I can tell you that I have had some Goldstar appliances that outlasted my GE appliances etc.

With products being designed around families of standard components and chipsets, it is a foregone conclusion that products will be badged by big names, and built by little knowns. Often the strategy for picking the big name brand is support and quality control.

You can't sit back and cheer the rapid technology price drops on one hand and scream foul because of outsourcing on the other.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Does Sony do this as well?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
These new screens used on the new S and V models out this month?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
There is a lot of misinfo here. Sony only now starting making LCD with a joint venture with Samsung. Prior to that they were ALL sourced. If you look inside any electronic piece there are pieces from every manufacturer. Every manufacturer has a specialty. Even Sharp TV's have *gasp* Toshiba LSI's in them.

Toshiba makes NO panels other than laptops. They source from *gasp* Sharp and others.

What difference does it make? Look at automobiles.......

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
There is a lot of misinfo here. Sony only now starting making LCD with a joint venture with Samsung. Prior to that they were ALL sourced. If you look inside any electronic piece there are pieces from every manufacturer. Every manufacturer has a specialty. Even Sharp TV's have *gasp* Toshiba LSI's in them.

Toshiba makes NO panels other than laptops. They source from *gasp* Sharp and others.

What difference does it make? Look at automobiles.......
I'm actually explaining the final assembly location of the TVs.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI

This is not an uncommon practice for most companies, in fact wether it's LCD, plasma or whatever the tech, there are very few companies that produce 100% of their own products from soup to nuts. Last I heard Toshiba buys most of their plasma screens from panasonic, but builds their own chip sets and boards to run them. I agree it's good information to have as a consumer, but hardly worth getting upset over.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you go read julio388's article "This year, TV buyers have a big-screen moment By Damon Darlin The New York Times" located at the last part of the page, I spotted that the author of the article did not add "Toshiba" in the list as a flat TV maker that own their production facilities. All the major flat-panel TV brands are in there except Toshiba.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...15#post6062315

If Toshiba does not own their production facilities, which means, Toshiba is outsourcing in order to get their TVs made. And, Toshiba's outsourcing has not been admitted to the public yet. :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just curious, Mr. Chan, are you simply some kind of pro-Japan anti-Korea/Thailand/China/TheRestOfAsia video snob or do you simply detest all rebranding?

Do you feel the same way about rebranded automobiles?

I feel like I've seen dozens of threads (many started by you) where you simply cannot seem to get past Toshiba rebranding. I don't see you going beszerk over LG/Zenith, Funai/Sylvania or Chi Mei/Westinghouse. Most of Apple Computer's LCD panels are LG--but the displays themselves are Apple-branded. Where is the outcry?

This is not meant as an attack--I simply am tryingto figure out exactly what your gripe is with Toshiba and why you don't seem to care about the same practice by other companies.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.