AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else Not have one of the three or four projectors mostly talked about on this forum? I've got an InFocus LP770, and I like it a lot, but I don't find too many people using one for HT here on these forums.

I got it lightly used on eBay for under $3K, it has 2000 lumens, xga, a pretty good scaler, 2 computer inputs (which double as component inputs with the right connector), 2 video inputs, and it even has Picture in Picture capability, so I can watch the video input in a 31" PIP overlayed on the 100" PC image.

Basically, I'm curious to see whether anyone else out there did what I did: a little bit of research to determine my needs; some shopping around to get a feel for pricing; some frantic bidding on projectors; some frantic online shopping for other components like screen, speaker wire, DD receiver, DVD-ROM drive, video cables, etc.; some quick slapping together of an old PC with a nice sound card, fair video card, and a DVD-ROM drive; about 8 trips to Home Depot for brackets, nuts, bolts, pipes, etc.; some hellacious fishing of wires through an already finished ceiling; and some screwing of brackets to walls and ceiling; and voila! A Home Theater!

What I didn't do was spend a ton of money on components. I'm pretty utilitarian: the speaker wire is plain Radio Shack white 16ga; the speakers are mis-matched (front, rear and center, not left-right!) and not expensive or new; the seating is not stadium style; the screen isn't motorized, or even flush-mounted (it is a roll-up Da-Lite hung on white brackets 10" from the wall); I made the ceiling mount from 1/2" pipe and a sheet of 18ga steel, etc.

Anyone else out there doing it a little different, but still happy?? Tell us about it!

-Andrew

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry acaplinger but your projector is in the over $5000 category, could you please post in the proper forum as we under $5000 crew do not have the ability to associate with ya.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Altaman
Sorry acaplinger but your projector is in the over $5000 category, could you please post in the proper forum as we under $5000 crew do not have the ability to associate with ya.
LOL! :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
He clearly stated his projector was about $3 grand which gives him full access to this forum. Just a suggestion though Andrew, in the future please use our secret forum phrase "My other projector is a DILA" when asking for answers to your questions :)

Petey

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Petey:

It was just a joke and maybe we will get the more expensive PJ's over here sooner or later :). Also it is not the price you pay for the PJ, it is the MSRP that dictates where you post. There are exceptions to the $ rule and they are posted by Alan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I admit, I considered whether my projector's original MSRP was the determining factor for which forum, but I figured you can't even buy mine new anymore, and according to eBay, $2750 is the going rate.

My entire HT is still under $5K. I got the receiver for $300, the HTPC for $250, and the screen for $280.

So, I figure this forum is the perfect place to discuss a system such as mine! :p

So, besides an AE100, what does an average budget system look like here?

-Andrew

·
Registered
660 Posts
acaplinger- The LP770 was actually made by Mitsubishi as the X300. You might find more info on that model. It's definitely a decent pj, and pretty quiet for 2000 Alm!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.