AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to have XM satellite radio in the reception area of my clinic. i have purchaed the necessary XM equipment and intend to use an old, low-end Pioneer receiver i have. my dilemma is that i don't know which jacks to plug the XM unit into. the instructions indicate an audio-out jack which i don't have. the receiver only has

audio-in/phono

audio-in/CD

audio-in/VCR

tape1/rec

tape1/play

tape2/rec

tape2/play

thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The XM unit should have a cable with just a simple pair of red and white RCA leads. Those can plug into any available input, such as your CD input on your receiver. Then, change your receiver over to the coresponding input and you're done.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Not quite any input. You can't use the "phono" input (specifically designed for turntables), or either of the "tape/rec" jacks (because they're not inputs). But CD, VCR, or tape/play will all work. They'll all standard line-level inputs, and your XM tuner is a standard line-level output.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What mcnarus said.

Also, perhaps some of the confusion arises from what you wrote here:

Quote:
the instructions indicate an audio-out jack which i don't have.

The instructions are referring to the "audio-out jack" on the XM unit, not the one on your receiver. Plug one end of the red and white RCA cable you should have received with the XM unit into the "audio-out jack" on the XM unit, and plug the other end into one of the available inputs mcnarus suggested on your receiver. Then use the selector switch or button on your receiver to switch to that input. Connect your speakers to the receiver, turn both your XM and your receiver on, adjust volume, and you should have XM radio playing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts