AVS Forum banner

If I were buying new speakers, I would...

• Only consider ID brands

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Primarily consider ID brands

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Equally consider ID and B&M brands

Votes: 70 42.2%
  • Primarily consider B&M brands

Votes: 29 17.5%
  • Only consider B&M brands

Votes: 7 4.2%
1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the vast majority of comparison threads on this board are ID vs. ID or B&M vs. B&M. I'm curious as to whether people who own ID brands even consider B&M offerings and vise versa. I don't want this to become another thread where one or the other competing business models are trashed. I think we all can agree that multiple distribution channels provide more choices and more choices are good.

If there has already been a similar poll, my apologies, but I couldn't find it in the search.

Have fun.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You just pay less for more with most ID companies,this a example for you the Joseph Audio Pearls cost 20k+ with SEAS exel drivers in them very expensive drivers and among the very best that money can buy.The Tylers Accoustics second from the top of his line Cost 5.5k with the same drivers and a cabinet thats built just as good if not better and to my ears sounds better for 1\\4 of the price.Were not saying B&M speakers are not good,you just have to pay a lot more to get good quality out of them but of course thier are some exceptional B&M companies that will sell you a well built speaker with premium parts at a price that you wont have to trade your BMW in for,but very few,ID brands offer better value and more for your money.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
After paying for ID speakers and waiting for them to be delivered, very few people are willing to go to the trouble of returning them unless they really hate the sound. Comparing even two brands is an expensive (in the sense of up-front costs) and time-consuming process.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/0

After paying for ID speakers and waiting for them to be delivered, very few people are willing to go to the trouble of returning them unless they really hate the sound. Comparing even two brands is an expensive (in the sense of up-front costs) and time-consuming process.

ID or No-ID, some people think that they have the best speakers, period. they will not listen to any other speakers, or listen to the speakers at BB and try to validate that their speakers are the best
These ppl are also trolls and the forum would be a better place without them

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 /forum/post/0

ID or No-ID, some people think that they have the best speakers, period. they will not listen to any other speakers, or listen to the speakers at BB and try to validate that their speakers are the best
These ppl are also trolls and the forum would be a better place without them

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:

How would you know,you have never bought a ID speaker,so you arent really qualified to say such a stupid statement outside of B&W,Infinity,Def Tech and Klipsch you havent hardly heard anything,you are probably the least experianced listener on this forum or any other audio forum.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb /forum/post/0

How would you know,you have never bought a ID speaker,so you arent really qualified to say such a stupid statement outside of B&W,Infinity,Def Tech and Klipsch you havent hardly heard anything,you are probably the least experianced listener on this forum or any other audio forum.

You are so full of **** that your eyeballs are floating. Besides, why should you call a simple statement of facts that need to be considered when buying ID speakers "stupid" or even react to it at all? If you would try reading with comprehension instead of merely sounding out the words, you might notice that I neither stated nor implied any value judgements about any ID brands.

·
Banned
729 Posts
I own a pair of ID speakers, but I'd still audition both.

I paid 499 for my pair of ID speakers (B-stock, yay!). The drivers alone in them would cost me 300 bucks. The cabinet is 3/4" thick with vertical and shelf bracing, and is finished with a nice walnut veneer. And of course none of the electrical components in the crossover or even the wiring cheap at all.

But even with all that, as well as a lot of time, pain, and effort from the designer, I still know that they aren't anywhere near perfect. I know that plenty of people will prefer something from Klipsch which certainly has its virtues. So in the end, I'm left with auditioning as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:

You are so full of **** that your eyeballs are floating. Besides, why should you call a simple statement of facts that need to be considered when buying ID speakers "stupid" or even react to it at all? If you would try reading with comprehension instead of merely sounding out the words, you might notice that I neither stated nor implied any value judgements about any ID brands.

Whats a matter you dont like the truth?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't see how anyone can choose 'only select ID'. ID does not mean that you are getting more speaker for the buck. It just means that the manufacturer is getting more of the profit instead of it being watered down because of the supply chain a B&M has.

This is coming from someone that has only owned ID speakers for the past five or so years (I still audition the newest lines in stores).

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:

Whats a matter you dont like the truth?

Go back and read post #4 again, and tell me which of the two factual statements (neither in any sense an opinion) you are disagreeing with.

Also explain where you think you read something like "ID brands are not good", since that post contains nothing of the kind.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I would consider buying speakers from an ID or B&M store. I think I would be doing my ears a disservice is chose soley one or the other.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I chose "Primarily Consider ID Brands." I made that selection based on personal experience with ID brand customer service where I feel, in general, ID companies have the edge. However, I would definitely listen to B&M brands and, if I found some that impressed, I'd buy them in a nanosecond.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ID = Internet Direct (Axiom, Onix, Ascend, Aperion, HTD, SVS, HSU, etc...0

BW = B&W a brand that you would buy at a brick and mortar store (non internet direct)

BM = Brick and mortar - a buildinh you actually walk into to buy a product (specialty audio store in this case, best buy, circuit city, etc...)

Thomas

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
BW is a speaker company. I believe BW stands for Boring and Weak ... Or maybe its Bowel Wrecks... Or its possible it stands for something else... Hmm... I don't remember exactly... They are the resident BW fanboy troll's most favorite speakers of the whole world!

ID is Internet Direct
As in you don't purchase speakers from a shop, you order them online from the manufacturer and they ship it directly to you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I chose Primarily B&M brands.

The reason for this is just a personal choice. I don't for 1 second believe that ID brands are not just as good, if not better, than what you get in a store, it is just that I really enjoyed the process of visiting different shops and talking with the sales staff while auditioning speakers. To me, that more than makes up the difference in cost that I may have paid by buying in store than buying internet direct. But, I believe that if I didn't have such a positive experiance when shopping for speakers that I may have tried some of the ID brands, but for me, the need never occured. Plus I am very happy with what I finally decided on.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

Quote:

Not listening to ID brands and only sticking to B&M offerings hardly makes one "uneducated". Worked well for everyone up until four or five years ago.

It isn't like purchasing ID puts you in some exclusive club, so much more "educated" than the people that audition in person.

Don't confuse knowing everything because you know something.

·
Registered
651 Posts
ill use either- whichever sounds better. BUT, i almost always buy online whether it's an ID brand or big name brand. very rarely will i buy anything at a b&m unless i need a cable or something in a pinch. with a little determination and patience i can ALWAYS find a better deal online no matter the brand.

bought a brand new 32 inch toshiba lcd online a few weeks back from an authorized retailer. at the B&M store the best price is could find was $799 plus tax. i got it for almost $200 less online.

then i wanted some mission bookshelf speakers and could only find them online- great deal on those too. then i just ordered the onix x-sub online too.

moral of the story is you do your research then hit the internet and scour for the best price. whether it's an ID or something you heard at the BM... just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.