1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just won this on EBAY:

[

SONY VPH-1270Q for $405 plus shipping

The seller is a power seller and has good feedback so I thought Id take the risk without much details of the machine life, other than it works great.

Anyways, Ive been planning on a high end LCD projector for a year or so and then found this site and now have changed my mind. CRT is the way to go... I think!

What I can't find is where to go from here.

I have a large game room I will be putting this in and I will make a screen from a good site that was recommended in another thread. I will do an 8' screen or so.

But other than that, I know nothing about line doubling, HTPC, etc.

I THINK I could care less about HDTV although I am currently receiving it with our digital cable here in Phoenix, AZ. I guess I might as well take advantage of it. But Im more looking for this projector to play games and watch movies on.

Could someone please guide me to what the machine is actually capable of. I would also like to use it for computer games, etc but if I really need NO light in the room to get a good picture, how could I even see the keyboard? With an LCD projector I could have at least mid lighting to see what Im doing. If I bought the wrong thing, this would be the reason why.

I would like to setup a PC which I will build (Im a network tech) and get a nice RF wireless keyboard / trackball so I can tuck the computer out of the away.

Any direction / suggestions / newbie help would be appreciated. Please keep in mind I dont know the CRT lingo yet, so please answer in laymans terms.

Thanks Ahead!

AZTECHJOHN

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, if everything works, did I get a good deal?

From what I read in these thousands of posts, anything 1031Q and up is good. But there were some "in-between" systems I didnt know about. Hopefully I got a decent starter system. Whatever I got, I will probably want to upgrade it in 6 moths ago. Thats just the way my mind works. I also wanted to use this opportunity to learn all about CRT projectors because I have been interested in home entertainment theaters for a long time and may try to make some extra money or just even a hobby out of it.

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
You got a good starter system, in fact the same one I started with. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the HDTV picture quality, so I think you'll start to care.

If you do not have a line doubler you'll want to run any "normal" video (games, vcr, dvd, etc) output through your PC and use the Dscalar program to generate a resolution sharp enough to do the projector justice.

There are three "bad" things about the 1270 projector. It has very few zone points (9 I think), no hour counter and no error code display.

Drop me a line when it comes in, if you want some help, I'll be glad to show you the ropes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks AZPARSONS. Im in the Phoenix area too (funny our screen names are similiar).

How about lighting. Is it true I need a pitch black room? Does anyone else hook these or similiar units up to a compuer to actually use other spplications other than DSCALER.

And about DSCALER, Im still lost as to what it is, what it does and how to use it.

Do I need a TV tuner in my comupter, TV output? Can I use my SVGA cable or do I need something with SVHS or RCA outs?

Anyone have a source for a diagram on how everything might be used together?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The darker the better, however task lighting that light your keyboard area should not significantly affect your picture if it's fairly focused. The reason everyone recommends a dark room is to not mess up the dark portion of a movie. The same reason movie theaters are dark.

Application wise you can use any app on your computer the same as any other monitor. Dscalar is an application to take video input (you need the hardware to accept the NTSC signal into your computer), and scale it up to the ideal resolution for your projector. In the case of the 1270 I would start with 800 x 600. More can be found on this forum under the HTPC area about the dscalar.

The projector will accept (depending on input boards present) S-VHS, composite and RGBHV most likely. The composite input will require a BNC -> RCA adapter from Radio Shack.

The issue is that the standard 480i picture from these types of devices will have significantly noticable scan lines on the screen. My recommendation would be to have an input board in my PC that would allow me to send the S-VHS or composite output to the computer, then connect the computer to the projector with a 5-BNC RGB cable. With that setup I can set the projector for one resolution and scale all the inputs up to that level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't run out and buy the 5-BNC cable yet. I just looked at the auction and it looks like you have the 9-pin board (IFB-20).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 9 pin board, will this be harder to find a solution, or easier?

Im trying to get everything before this gets to me.

Back to Dscalar. I noticed they put it up against WINDVD...

Can winDVD do the same thing or will I need DSCALER specifically?

Last 2 things... Can anyone think of any problems with painting the case. Do these get extremely hot on the outside of the case?

And, I am going to mount this close to a ceiling fan. I live in AZ where it gets dang hot in the summertime. I could mount it either next to a ceiling fan or next to an air conditioning/heater vent. Would this be recommended or should I stay away from both ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't run across the pinouts for the IFB-20 so I won't be much help there. Maybe someone else has and can provide them.

I didn't try windvd to perform that function. If it does it then you wouldn't necessarily need to run both apps.

There is no issue with painting the case. The plastic case is basically an aesthetic cover over the aluminum chassis, and doesn't get hot.

The 1270 is fairly loud though, so you may want to consider putting it inside a hushbox anyway.

Other than the obvious of not having a fan in the light path or mounting the projector directly underneath an ac vent. I don't see anything wrong with having either thing in the vicinity of the projector.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Some of the early VGA monitors used the 9-pin connectors (e.g., NEC). I suspect the IFB-20 uses these same pinout (but cannot confirm for certain). If it does, computer stores such as Micro Center carry the VGA 9-pin to 15-pin cables.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
When I painted my computer's case, I found it better to paint the metal components and Dye the plastic ones. In the case of this projector's case, all the shell compoenents are plastic so.. I would dye them instead of paint them. You can buy dye in the same type of cans as spray paint. I got mine at Pepboys automotive parts stores.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
You may also want to seek out the owner's manual, installation manual, and abridged service manual for this projector as they can be found online. There's also a program called PJCALC which is a free software for installation planning of this projector.

Much of this stuff can be found here...

www.biggerhammer.net

The owner's manual can be found here..

www.projectorspecs.com

Also, projectorspecs is a great place for the parts you may want or need. They have the cover that's missing from the onboard controller. They also have remotes and spacers and input boards like the 5 BNC thingie you may be missing.

If possible you also should look to Curt Palme for parts as he's usually got um and he's great to deal with.

Good Luck,

Brian

(Happy 1271 Owner)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.