AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say that I'm completely new to the community so please excuse me if I break any unofficial rules.

Yes I'm another newbie getting into HT, yes I know you probably see far to many posts from newbie’s asking stupid questions. Well before you dismiss me out of hand let me say that I'm more than willing, in fact eager, to do my research before posting silly questions. However I have found relatively few good resources on the net for the newbie HT enthusiast. I'd really like it if people could point me to some good HT educational resources especially sites that give good overviews of the whole HT kit and kaboodle. As an example of the kind of links I'm looking for here is the only good site that I have found so far, and its mostly an add to buy the book, this is perhaps a bit too newbieish and I already know most of the stuff on this site already but if there are other sites that go into more detail but still approach things from this point of view that would be great:

http://www.htexplained.com/abridged/Chap%20TOC.htm

My current state of HT is only one notch above your Joe average TV owner. We have plain 32" RCA TV and plain JVC DVD player. Last Christmas I also added a Kenwood reciever specifically:

http://www.pioneer-america.com/Pione...50,409,00.html

And while at it added a set of really cheap Sony 5.1 HT speakers, more like shelf speakers than HT speakers but they do the job so far. They look something like these, can't find the actual ones anymore:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...G5PNs&Dept=hav

Anyway I've been thinking recently of replacing the TV and the speakers, slowly starting with the TV. Now as you can see I don't exactly have cash up the wazoo so I'm looking to spend as little as possible while still getting a very nice deal. I'd like to spend no more than about $3000 Canadian, without doing any research I saw at our local future shop a TV that is the kind of thing I'm after:

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...CI121,00.html?

I was surprised that at how good the picture was in store. So basically I'm looking for your basic 16:9 wide screen TV that is HDTV ready, by that I mean able to show 720p and 1080i and 480p. I suppose the resolution won't be any better because I don't have a progressive scan DVD player but one thing at a time. At the moment I'm not going to replace the speakers but definitely in the future. Can anyone make any recommendations for both the TV, speakers and also any good resources on the net I talked about earlier?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You are already at one of the most comprehensive sites for HT info out there. While you won't find everything condensed into a couple of pages for easy reading, there is a ton of information here and a ton of very knowledgable folks with very different specialties and backgrounds. Hang around, read everything, ask questions, put up with the sometimes flaky search engine.

Enjoy. Welcome to the madness that is HT.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was newer than you are a few months ago. My first post was titled "Beginning at the beginning" because I'd figured out that I knew nothing. I couldn't even understand most posts here when I read them. Then these guys gave me some "homework" (several informative sites to read) and I found out a lot of fun info in a very short time. :)

My situation in terms of home entertainment is also similar to yours. I currently have a fairly cheap, simple system that I was planning to try to upgrade. I had no DVD player, but now I've got one. The next item will be the TV, and I've already decided, so the money is all I'm waiting for now.

My first decision was that I was "almost certainly" going to want a widescreen TV (about which I have become "absolutely certain" since then), not a 4:3. The next decision was to stick with direct-view cathode-ray tubes with sizes in the 30s; this is consistent with the price range you gave.

Keep in mind that I can't comment on the RCA you're interested in because no stores in my area have RCA TVs. But I have compared Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, and Samsung in person, and maybe some others that weren't very memorable. You have to go to the stores and fiddle with the controls, of course...

Before I had gotten to try out a Sony widescreen, I had found Toshiba and Panasonic to have the best picture quality, and the Samsungs to have the best sound quality. A Sony 36" 4:3 TV had them all matched or bettered in both regards, but it was 4:3... so I impatiently awaited the arrival of the KV-34XBR800 in my local stores. When it arrived, I was able to confirm my expectations: it's at least as good as the 36" I was looking at before, but it's a widescreen TV and has an anti-glare coating on the screen that I like. So I'm going to buy it.

So my recommendation to you has to be split here...

For screen quality alone, Toshiba and Panasonic make perfectly good 34" and smaller direct-view widescreen sets, and their prices are better than Sony's. If you will always be running sounds through some other system anyway, you can save money by getting a Toshiba/Panasonic screen without making any substantial sacrifices in performance from what I can tell based on the models I tried out.

But if, at least for a while if not permanently, you'll be using the TV itself to make the sound as well as the images, or even using it as a PART of your overall sound system, then I'd recommend getting a Sony KV-34XBR800. It costs more money, but the extra investment goes straight into the speaker system that Sony invested in making better. And it's still well under your stated limit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.