AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got off the phone with a salesman. Looks like a ½ inch strip costs 3 bucks per foot. Apparently is comes in ½ inch wide strips and up. After 6 inches they start charging by the liner foot (makes sense). You need to buy a step-down transformer for it too (they have them) for about 40 bucks. It’s dimmable as well so while it’s a bit costly over rope light you can do some really COOL applications with it.

They CAN make a 3 foot by 4 foot sold piece of white as well. Guess what you can use that for!!!!! A 2 inch think light box!!!! The light has NO heat to it at all so it’s perfect. I’m sold. They have a 5 foot strip that has all 5 colors in it. Yes they can mix colors in the same strip. Anyway I will have the strip soon enough and I will post my findings. This has a lot of applications. I’m very excited about it.

WOW imagine this. putting some light strips ON your personal vending machine!!!!! That would be the coolest!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I am getting a demo 5 footer of all the colors. I think then if it's a cool as they say I will ask what a 3 foot by 4 foot one costs. If its too much I will find out how much a couple of 6 inches wide go for and do it in strips. The stuff is SO thin that you might be able to literally get it as thin and and inch. Can someone build just a box like that? It will be a matter of testing how close to the light the poster can be placed I guess actually so i will try it when i get my testers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got a price of $1.50/ft for the 1/4" stuff. It looks like a good solution for those of us that did not put a trey in our crown moulding for rope light.

Here is some info I received form a rep:

1.) The base lamp is natural/blue color when "illuminated" and a white

color when "off"

2.) White lamps illuminate white but are "pink" when "off"

3.) Colors are applied to the two above colors to change to other colors.

4.) The finished dimension is 18 to 20 mils thick.

5.) $1.50 foot for the 1/4" format and your will need a ballast for an

additional $265.00 (The ballast will run over 1,000 feet of 1/4" format.

Ben

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can you cut it once they send it to you or do you have to have them "make it" to the finished size you want?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've been wanting to retrofit my bass poster frames with this stuff for about a year now, but it hasn't come down in price to where it wasn't cost prohibitive.

Here's the site that I've been tracking, but sounds like this company is just as expensive.

There is some good info about the technology, have a look.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mhe4 yes you can cut it BUT. You CAN get 25 feet of the stuff to make sure you have enough to cover say a 24 foot section. You CAN NOT get a 50 foot piece to cut into 2 25 foot pieces. If you tell them for instance that you need to have 2 25 foot sections to put on either side of a stairwall they can make it so both strips can use the same transformer.

Ben Harper also, the transformer I was looking at using will handle about 50 feet and it was only 50 bucks. The longer the run the more expensive the transformer becomes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok bad news. The light box thing is doable for sure. Just not getting a solid 31 x 28 inch piece. The stuff costs 50 cents a square inch so your looking at close to 600 bucks to so a solid one. The ballast like Ben Harper said is 250 bucks on top of that. The guy told me that he is getting a new ballast next month that can handle 800 square inches and is only 80 bucks. But still that’s too much. I will look into doing multiple strips of 1 inch stuff. See if that is more cost effective. I will keep you all informed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.