Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let my list the devices that I have:

-PS2

-Xbox

-Upconverting DVD Player

-HD Set Top Box

My TV has 2 Component ports, 3 HDMI ports, 1 PC port, and 1 AV port. The Upconverting DVD Player has to be hooked up via HDMI in order to upconvert. I hooked up the Xbox via Component. I used to have the PS2 hooked up via the 2nd Component port, but since I got the HD Set Top Box, I used the other component port for the STB. I tried hooking it up via HDMI, but the picture was worse on SD channels because those set top boxes don't support HDMI. So, since the Component cables give me better picture and I rarely play the PS2 now, I used the 2nd component port for the STB. Now, I don't have any other port to hook up the PS2. For now, I'm using the AV port, but the picture looks real fuzzy. It was MUCH better when it was hooked up via the Component port.

Is there any other way I can hook up the PS2 or Xbox so I can free a Component port? I still have 2 HDMI ports and 1 VGA port free. I tried researching for HDMI or VGA adapters for these consoles but I couldn't find anything. I hate to have to spend an extra $50 on a switcher. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
There are trans coders out there that can be used to convert component to VGA, they will cost more then a switcher though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I guess my only other options are: buy a switcher or ditch the PS2. But I'm leaning towards the latter as I rarely play video games now.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Depending on your model of XBOX - assuming it is a 360 -new models are HDMI out or the older models have the ability to plug into the PC/VGA input on your LCD. Use one of these to do that http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-H...1352546&sr=1-1

I believe your TV's native resolution is 1366 x 768. You should be able to set the 360 to 1366x768 with the VGA cable or the HDMI cable.

Sorry posted after you posted about the regular XBox.

If you want to use all those devices on component, I'd just plug and unplug. You might try the PS2 on S-Video and see what it looks like to you. Doesn't your tv has a side port with s-video?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15485986

Doesn't your tv has a side port with s-video?

Yes, it does. But doesn't s-video also deliver poor results on an HDTV?

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/15486227

Yes, it does. But doesn't s-video also deliver poor results on an HDTV?

That's why I said try it and see if it is to your liking. Solves your problem of not enough ports, but may not solve your probelm of wanting the clearest appearing picture. S-video will output only 480i to the tv so you may not like it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do you have a Home Theater Receiver? I just hooked up my parents system and they have a 2 year old Yamaha Stereo that has 3 component inputs (and 3 digital audio inputs).

You'll spend more than 50, but you will get better sound.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you are leasing the STB from its supplier tell them to replace it with one that has HDMI or at least DVI output. The one you have sounds like it is pretty old since it is not.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15487403

If you are leasing the STB from its supplier tell them to replace it with one that has HDMI or at least DVI output. The one you have sounds like it is pretty old since it is not.

It has HDMI, but the picture is worse because it doesn't support 480i. So, the SD box has to de-interlace the video and output a 480p signal, which it does a poor job at. So, I use Component cables and it outputs 480i, letting my TV do the upscaling, resulting in a better picture.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/15486246

Converts to VGA:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-to-VGA-Con...QQcmdZViewItem

Wow, that's expensive. Might as well get a switcher then.

I'm so annoyed that the Xbox or PS2 don't support HDMI or VGA. It's ridiculous. This is one thing that makes HDTVs worse than SDTVs. Running out of ports was never an issue with SDTVs.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/15483856

but since I got the HD Set Top Box, I used the other component port for the STB. I tried hooking it up via HDMI, but the picture was worse on SD channels because those set top boxes don't support HDMI.

I don't really understand what you mean here. If you can hook up your HD box over HDMI then it supports HDMI. Do you just mean that the standard def channels don't look as good if you have it hooked up over HDMI as they do if you hook them up over component?

What cable box do you have? Are you upconverting the standard def stuff with it, or are you having your TV upconvert the standard def material? Have you tried both ways? I just don't understand why you couldn't use the HDMI port on your cable box if it has one.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/15487602

I don't really understand what you mean here. If you can hook up your HD box over HDMI then it supports HDMI. Do you just mean that the standard def channels don't look as good if you have it hooked up over HDMI as they do if you hook them up over component?

What cable box do you have? Are you upconverting the standard def stuff with it, or are you having your TV upconvert the standard def material? Have you tried both ways? I just don't understand why you couldn't use the HDMI port on your cable box if it has one.

Component- outputs 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i

HDMI- outputs 480p, 720p, 1080i only

After several tests I did, I conclude that this box has a horrible upscaler. My TV does a better job at it, so I don't want the box to do any converting. Since SD channels are 480i and the HDMI output doesn't output 480i, it has to convert the signal to 480p, which it does a poor job at. My HD box is: Samsung SMT-H3050. There were a couple of threads about this box and many have concluded that using Component with this box gives better results than HDMI and I strongly agree with them. Therefore, I use Component because it gives better results.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/15488292

OK, didn't know you couldn't do 480i over HDMI. So I agree stick with component for the cable box.

If you want everything else hooked up over component still I think you are going to have to have a switch.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-plays...1364293&sr=1-5

Manual switches usually seem to cause less video degredation.

I may try those, but the Amazon seems to have poor reviews.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts