Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...category=32862

ebay item # 3073016388

Things that were going through my head when I read the auction:

1) Ouch!

2) I'm in the wrong business

3) People have too much money

4) People with too much money do not do enough research

5) Well, at least they're not getting a D*gital. ;)

6) Anyone want to buy a bridge? :D

- David

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hey, it's legit. There are just too many fools that bid on just about anything on ebay. That little sony CAN indeed throw a nice picture. "WE" are just beyond it, and spoiled. "WE" want an NEC XG for that money, or a Marquee.

Let them bid......

Marc

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah.. I know it's legit.. That's why I was thinking #4....

I'm a huge fan of video-grade projectors.. I stick up for them all the time in my posts... But man, that one is up there! I've seen all kinds of Ampros and ECPs with buy-it-now prices less than that!

- David

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I think its just fine to put up something like that but I would quibble with the screen shot display method.

Cropping screen shots for size so they upload faster is one thing, cutting and pasting onto another background to give an "impression" of what the ACTUAL image is like is another thing entirely.

The screen shot should be labelled as a composition, not left to give the impression it is one actual image.

I would also quibble with this area of the description"Projected image onto a 106" wide HDTV format screen. Colors are natural and warm. CRT's provide depth and realism to video images as well as the ability to produce excellent HD images."

Although they do not state it CANNOT display HD, they certainly give the *impression* it can display HD. Very calculating ad copy.

PS: Where are all those fool bidders when I put something up ????

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
About 4 years ago when BArco G 800's were still going for $3K USD and MEC tubes were not yet rebuildable (remember the 'good 'ol days?'), I was about to scrap a Sony 722. I fired it up and it looked like it had never been used, the tubes were absolutely perfect.

I figured if I got $600.00 for it on eBay, I'd be happy, so I listed it at $500.00, no reserve. THe screen shots for it were awesome!

I sold it for $1200.00 to a zero feedback buyer in NYC. THe guy actually paid, and emailed me that he ABSOLUTELY loved it, and left positive feedback.

Curt

·
Premium Member
16,767 Posts
There are a lot of people that are looking for a starter/learner PJ. Even the $500 480i PJs can be more fun than a $1500 48" RPTV from CC or BB.

I think people get buying fever and bid higher than a more-patient or more-informed buyer would, but that's always been the seller's advantage in an auction.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Or you could look at http://cgi.********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32862 which is using the same screen shot as http://cgi.********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32862

It's bad enough when you use the screen shots between the two, but not from a projector which is described as having "bad blue focus". It can't be chance that both of those projectors show a distinct red bar on the right of the screen (plus you can see the top of the G70 in the 310s picture).

I thought I got hosed years ago when I bought a Sony 1020 for $225, this thread makes me feel better.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I wonder if you could get even more money for a PJ by saying the PJ is from a Goverment Auction Site and is in unknow condition.

It's worth a try.

Deron.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
That auction is a slick* presentation. That's what's getting it the bids. Madison Ave looking stuff. People go for that.

*slick

adj. 4. superficially attractive or plausible but lacking depth or soundness

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hey, I sold a perfect sony 1020 for $600 a few years ago. I was happy.

The buyer picked it up in person, and loved it.

Marc

·
Registered
435 Posts
All it takes is a simple video-grade projector to get you hooked on this beastly expensive hobby, or should I say, 'obsession'.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
My very first crt was a 1042q in truly mint condition. It sold for $750 a year or so ago and the new owner was thrilled with it.

He could have bought a data grade for the same money, and my buy it now was $300 less but someone placed a bid and the buy it now went away, then it just kept going up.

I did the happy dance and about flipped when he paid.

:)

Troy

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I have a 722Q1. I retired it when I got my first Marquee, but the 722 is still in fine shape. This auction is now at a price that is HIGHER than I paid for the 8000 I'm watching now!

I think I'll put MY 722 on ebay and see what happens!

Really, the 722 can put out a nice picture. Good color, stable convergence, dead quiet due to no fans, very easy to work with, highly reliable....yeah, it's probably worth 500 bucks to some people.

I never was very impressed with the blue focus, but I found the trick to improving it: Project a white screen and then mess with the blue focus control (on the focus block) until the screen goes yellow. That's the point at which blue is best focused. Then crank up the blue drive just a hair until the white screen is white again. Minor tweaking to the focus coil may also be warranted.

It seems like it NEVER gets as sharp as red or green, though.

Incidentally, my 722 is as good as the one in that auction. Its CRTs are flawless and it probably has less than 2000 total hours on it, not that it has a meter or anything.

I have mine set up so that adjusting the master h. width control from one extreme to the other gives your choice of 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios. It works well.

I opt not to use the corner convergence controls. They're switched out via the appropriate switches. My problem with them is that they can easily cause banding problems in the center of the creen.

CJ

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey guys,

It's not surprise. Some people may like to collect antique. Just like me, I'm going to buy a Pioneer LD-S1 (manufactured in 1986) as it was a high-end unit in the 80s. :=)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The best way to improve the old 10XX series or 722Q1 is to simply fit a set of HD-144 lenses. GLASS lenses make a huge difference.

Marc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.