AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not getting 5.1 through optical for some reason???

Ok. I've got a Yamaha RX-V475, and a Vizio E400i-b2. I'm trying to passthrough HDMI audio with optical from TV to receiver. Far as I can tell the TV can do it, if it's set to bitstream. However, I'm only getting stereo. Can the receiver even take 5.1 through the optical? I tried PC hooked up via optical with a proper sound card and still only see it giving me 2 channel. I can't find any info in the manual about this, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Optical can pass DD/DTS 5.1 or PCM 2.0. More than likely a setting on the TV or the TV can only output PCM 2.0.
The TV settings claim it passes through 5.1. As I said, I also tried straight from a PC to the receiver and played a video with 5.1 on there. It seems to be a receiver issue, but I can find nothing to say it is or isn't. I know optical CAN do 5.1. I need to know why these particular devices aren't doing it.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd think it unlikely a receiver issue but more your settings in your sources. Many tvs cannot pass 5.1 input via hdmi to the tv.
Well, the TV doesn't have an optical in, so what else could the settings mean when it specifically says "You must select Bitsream for more than 2 channel audio" ? Vizio supposedly has a good track record for doing passthrough properly, so I don't get it.

·
The Village Idiot
9,627 Posts
Check the settings in your PC. It its set for 2.1 you won't get 5.1. I've had to deal with this with my sound card - an Omega 7.1 Striker card.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the settings in your PC. It its set for 2.1 you won't get 5.1. I've had to deal with this with my sound card - an Omega 7.1 Striker card.
I know. I have the same card. I've tried the PC directly, and the PS4 through the TV set to Bitstream. If the receiver didn't support Bitstream, I wouldn't even be getting 2 channel. Something is screwed up here. I know it's a cheap receiver, but damn.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Well, the TV doesn't have an optical in, so what else could the settings mean when it specifically says "You must select Bitsream for more than 2 channel audio" ? Vizio supposedly has a good track record for doing passthrough properly, so I don't get it.
Not familiar with the Vizio...looking at page 32 of the manual is what you're referring to? Where does it confirm it can pass audio input via hdmi this way or is it referring to OTA/on board apps? Have you checked in with the official thread for that tv? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-2014-vizio-exxx-bx-series-owners-thread.html

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Well, it's passing 2 channel, so why wouldn't it pass all 5 with the settings as it claims?
Where does it claim it can pass audio input via HDMI this way is what I can't find in the manual. Is it stated somewhere?

FWIW my Samsung doesn't pass anything but 2.0 via ARC, and pretty sure anything input to the tv via HDMI is treated the same way, i.e. 2.0 only output even via optical.....but its been a while since I set it up. I use my avr for all audio/switching, only hdmi to the tv as I source no audio from the tv anyways....some reason you're not?

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where does it claim it can pass audio input via HDMI this way is what I can't find in the manual. Is it stated somewhere?

FWIW my Samsung doesn't pass anything but 2.0 via ARC, and pretty sure anything input to the tv via HDMI is treated the same way, i.e. 2.0 only output even via optical.....but its been a while since I set it up. I use my avr for all audio/switching, only hdmi to the tv as I source no audio from the tv anyways....some reason you're not?
Yeah, no receiver has enough ****ing HDMI inputs for me. I just got an 8X1 HDMI switcher and filled it up. I didn't want to run video through both switcher and receiver cause it could add extra input lag, and most of these devices are game consoles.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Yeah, no receiver has enough ****ing HDMI inputs for me. I just got an 8X1 HDMI switcher and filled it up. I didn't want to run video through both switcher and receiver cause it could add extra input lag, and most of these devices are game consoles.
LOL I have 7 hdmi inputs and use two, might use a third soon. Figured that games might be the reason....I'd try the official thread in any case.

·
Premium Member
90,369 Posts
I know. I have the same card. I've tried the PC directly, and the PS4 through the TV set to Bitstream. If the receiver didn't support Bitstream, I wouldn't even be getting 2 channel. Something is screwed up here. I know it's a cheap receiver, but damn.
Not necessarily as the source device can be passing PCM 2.0. Also note, the only way many TVs can pass 5.1 audio via the optical audio output is when using a roof antenna to capture HD TV station signals.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not necessarily as the source device can be passing PCM 2.0. Also note, the only way many TVs can pass 5.1 audio via the optical audio output is when using a roof antenna to capture HD TV station signals.
Well, my PC is connected directly by optical and I know damn well it's set to 5.1, but the receiver is still only reporting 2 channel. It makes no sense.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What about when the PS4 is connected to the AVR?
Yeah, if I connect HDMI to the the AVR, I get 5.1. The problem is the AVR seems to refuse to do anything more than 2 channel from optical input. Now if I have to runt he switcher through the AVR, that means I also have to reroute my PC to the AVR directly so the audio and video are on the same input. When all the video was going to the TV first, it didn't matter. Such a pain in the ass for no reason. Plus, the PC will still be doing 2.0 for no ****ing reason. I can't find anything in the receiver manual or settings to indicate that the optical input doesn't support 5.1 for any reason. Yet, I can't get anything to do 5.1 on the optical.

Edit: I'll be dammed. It was the surround setting on the receiver for that input. Now everything is 5.1, including the audio being passed through the TV.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yeah, if I connect HDMI to the the AVR, I get 5.1. The problem is the AVR seems to refuse to do anything more than 2 channel from optical input. Now if I have to runt he switcher through the AVR, that means I also have to reroute my PC to the AVR directly so the audio and video are on the same input. When all the video was going to the TV first, it didn't matter. Such a pain in the ass for no reason. Plus, the PC will still be doing 2.0 for no ****ing reason. I can't find anything in the receiver manual or settings to indicate that the optical input doesn't support 5.1 for any reason. Yet, I can't get anything to do 5.1 on the optical.

Edit: I'll be dammed. It was the surround setting on the receiver for that input. Now everything is 5.1, including the audio being passed through the TV.

LOL, take a deep breath

Reactions: ChromeJob
1 - 18 of 18 Posts