AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I doing wrong? Trying to hookup my xbox 360 downstairs (not the hdmi version).

I want to use the TV speakers for audio but I need to run the 360 through the receiver I have (TV is mounted and I dont want to run the 360 component wires through the wall).

I have component cables running from the TV to the monitor out on the receiver and for audio I have a optical cable running from the TV to the optical in port on the receiver.

I have the xbox 360 component cables going into the component ports of the receiver and the optical cable from the 360 going into the 2nd optical port on the receiver.

I get video on the TV but no audio. I even tried to plug the r/w audio cables from the 360 into the receiver as well but nothing.

what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orie /forum/post/15433620

What am I doing wrong? Trying to hookup my xbox 360 downstairs (not the hdmi version).

I want to use the TV speakers for audio but I need to run the 360 through the receiver I have (TV is mounted and I dont want to run the 360 component wires through the wall).

I have component cables running from the TV to the monitor out on the receiver and for audio I have a optical cable running from the TV to the optical in port on the receiver.

I have the xbox 360 component cables going into the component ports of the receiver and the optical cable from the 360 going into the 2nd optical port on the receiver.

I get video on the TV but no audio. I even tried to plug the r/w audio cables from the 360 into the receiver as well but nothing.

what am i doing wrong?

What you wrote about wanting to use the TV speakers, I can say that is not going to work via optical, as there aren't any TVs with optical audio INPUTS. If you want to send audio to the TV, you have 2 choices, HDMI or analog. I'd skip the whole optical connection and just go with a dual RCA cable connecting the 360's analog audio out, to the TV's analog audio in. Or if you insist on having audio routed through the receiver, you'd need to get at a line level analog audio output from the receiver and connect that to the TV's analog audio input.

P.J.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/15433785

What you wrote about wanting to use the TV speakers, I can say that is not going to work via optical, as there aren't any TVs with optical audio INPUTS. If you want to send audio to the TV, you have 2 choices, HDMI or analog. I'd skip the whole optical connection and just go with a dual RCA cable connecting the 360's analog audio out, to the TV's analog audio in. Or if you insist on having audio routed through the receiver, you'd need to get at a line level analog audio output from the receiver and connect that to the TV's analog audio input.

P.J.

so if I run the r/w analog RCA cables from the TV to the receiver I should be ok?

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orie /forum/post/15433961

so if I run the r/w analog RCA cables from the TV to the receiver I should be ok?

If you can find a line level output from the receiver. If not, skip the receiver and connect the analog audio RCAs from the 360 direct to the TV.

P.J.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/15434151

If you can find a line level output from the receiver. If not, skip the receiver and connect the analog audio RCAs from the 360 direct to the TV.

P.J.

sorry I dont know what line level output means

My TV is mounted on the wall so I'd rather not run the analog audio RCAs from the 360 through the wall and to the TV. That was my whole reasoning for trying to use the receiver as a 'hub'.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
why not just use the audio on the receiver? why does it need to come out of the crappy tv speakers?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/15434651

why not just use the audio on the receiver? why does it need to come out of the crappy tv speakers?

what speakers is the audio going to come out of? I don't have any other speakers hooked up.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
so you have a receiver with no speakers?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orie /forum/post/15434894

not for this tv/setup. it's in my office

Then why bother with the receiver? Just run audio (and video) directly to your display. You're just introducing unnecessary "noise" by running things through your receiver.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/15434921

Then why bother with the receiver? Just run audio (and video) directly to your display. You're just introducing unnecessary "noise" by running things through your receiver.

because I don't want to run my xbox 360 component cabling through my wall to connect it to the TV

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
well i dont think its going to happen any other way... you're gonna have to run it through the wall, or add a receiver/speaker combo

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orie /forum/post/15435138

because I don't want to run my xbox 360 component cabling through my wall to connect it to the TV

Move your 360 closer to your display?!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/15437081

Move your 360 closer to your display?!

huh? it's only 3ft away, if that. My tv is hanging on the wall and all my wires are running through the wall. I dont want to run my 360 wire through the wall. I've said this at least 3 or 4 times in this thread already.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Well, one way or another you have to run wires from the Xbox to the TV, in wall our out, or change your receiver/speaker setup. Doesn't the 360component cable also have RCA (red/white) for audio?? If so, just plug them into the receiver and then just run from the receiver outs to the TV's in along with the component video.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/15438677

Well, one way or another you have to run wires from the Xbox to the TV, in wall our out, or change your receiver/speaker setup. Doesn't the 360component cable also have RCA (red/white) for audio?? If so, just plug them into the receiver and then just run from the receiver outs to the TV's in along with the component video.

This is the correct answer, assuming he has analog audio cables run through from the AVR through the wall to the TV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/15439298

This is the correct answer, assuming he has analog audio cables run through from the AVR through the wall to the TV.

I don't have the analog audio cables running from the TV to the AVR. I was assuming thats what I needed to do. I thought I'd be able to just use the optical cable from the TV to the AVR but I guess that's not the case.

My next question would be where on the AVR would I plug the analog audio cables into (which input) and where would I plug the 360 analog audio cables into on the AVR? Could I use the optical cable from the 360 to the AVR?

My AVR back looks like this.

Where should the analog cables from the TV go into? The R/W TV ports on the left? Then where would the audio cables from the 360 go? the R/W DVD ports on the left?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
one of many reasons, I don't understand the phenomenon that is hanging TVs on walls.

*not constructive, I know, but my 2cents nonetheless*

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 /forum/post/15439771

one of many reasons, I don't understand the phenomenon that is hanging TVs on walls.

*not constructive, I know, but my 2cents nonetheless*

for one, it clears the space on my stand for other things instead of the TV itself.

One of the reasons to use a receiver is to plug many components into it and use it as a central switching point which is exactly what I am trying to do. The only problem or issue I am running into is using the TV speakers for sound.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orie /forum/post/15439814

for one, it clears the space on my stand for other things instead of the TV itself.

so what is the point of having a "stand" at all, if the tv doesn't stand on it?

the space used for other things, is called a component rack.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.