AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got a good deal on a Samsung PN58C8000 58" 3D Plasma and I have some issues with it. Everyone I've talked to at Best Buy says this is one of (if not) the best TVs in the store. I originally went there to buy a 55" Samsung LED-LCD and they steered me in the direction of a plasma.

I was never a fan of plasma since I had an old Panasonic plasma monitor that dimmed over time, had some burn-in, and was heavy as hell. I know most of those issues have been addressed in newer models such as the one I just purchased so I decided to go for it as the picture in the store was phenomenal, the panel is very thin, and it's 3" larger than the 55".

I have a HTPC and an HD cable box hooked up to it. The images look fine on the screen until there is a lot of white produced. Anytime more than half of the screen is white, the white looks very dim. This is extremely noticeable when opening up a new web page as most of the page is white. The image looks very dull and washed out. This may not be a problem in most houses but my basement is well-lit and this is not acceptable. Another time I noticed this issue was at the end of a Best Buy commercial where the show a white background with the logo centered on the screen. The white background was dim and the best buy logo looked great. Another thing I noticed that really caught my attention but is hard to explain: I have an HTPC connected to my TV via HDMI. I noticed that if I open a window that is mostly white (such as a blank document) I noticed that it dims everything else. (such as the wallpaper). Whenever the TV tries to produce a lot of white, everything else dims. Is this normal and is it possible to turn this dimming feature off? I've been through all of the settings and I can't find anything that works.

My conclusion is to go and buy the Samsung UN55C7000 55" LED-LCD as it is on sale this weekend and I like the brightness of an LED. I know LED TVs can look a bit unnatural but I'm willing to accept the issue. I need to make a decision by tomorrow. I appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
That dimming is the auto brightness limiter which is there to keep the TV from drawing too much power. It is one of my biggest gripes with plasma tech.

Most LCDs have auto dimming that dims the screen on darker screens to make the blacks look darker. This can usually be disabled in the menu, but some sets require service menu access to disable it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B
Try putting it in movie mode and turning cell light all the way up. If whites look a little yellowish or greenish, you may also want to experiment with changing the color tone from warm2 to warm1.
+1. Sounds like a calibration issue , not a TV issue. My uncle just purchased this very TV and I feel in love with it. I thought it was one of the very best TV's I've seen to date(except the Kuro models).

If you don't have one , pick up a Joe Kane Calibration disc. This will help you get the setting in the right place. Or the best thing to do is Hire a ISF calibrator and let him do it. You get the most of of the set.

LED and any LCD TV for that matter does have a un natural looking picture most of the time. It's like a childhood pop up book. Then when you watch fast moving video , it jitters very badly. Even the best LED sets have this issue. I have had customers complain of motion sickness and we had to swap out the TV for Plasma due to this motion issue.

Black levels have improved 100% on LCD/LED TV's to the point they can just about pass a 0IRE or dam close. Still video is amazing.

If you go LED just really study the picture before you do. make sure your not going to get motion sickness.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/19551712

Yes, you should have bought the LED. Plasmas make good TV's, not computer monitors.

Plasma's and LED's are both great TV's,,, I own a 55" LED and a 65" Panny S2 and they BOTH have great PQ.

I guess I will never understand that one sided fanboy'isim.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
15,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19553938

Plasma's and LED's are both great TV's,,, I own a 55" LED and a 65" Panny S2 and they BOTH have great PQ.

I would agree for 2D viewing (as long as you don't have off-axis seating). But every single review prefers 3D on plasma over LED. (I assume the OP is interested in 3D since he bought a 3D plasma.)

·
Registered
539 Posts
you come to a conclusion and then ask us for advice ... which is it ! I say get your plasma calibrated. Also... why are you surfing the net on a 58" inch plasma. Thats not what it is made for ... or don't complain about the PQ when surfing the internet. LEC LCD I believe the Light is always on in the back. On plasma it has to turn to white so it uses a lot of power ... as one person mentioned above ... they have power limiter. Plasma I believe when using 1080p uses a greater amount of power vs LCD/LED. I never try to go "green" with my AV gear.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 /forum/post/19552099

LED and any LCD TV for that matter does have a un natural looking picture most of the time. It's like a childhood pop up book. Then when you watch fast moving video , it jitters very badly. Even the best LED sets have this issue.

You must mean the way they are setup in the stores, which has nothing to do with the way it has to look in your home. LED's (good ones, that is) can look natural once they are set up correctly.

Quote:
I have had customers complain of motion sickness and we had to swap out the TV for Plasma due to this motion issue.

Once again, this is because the consumer did not take the time to learn how to adjust the motion processing properly. If they knew what they were doing they could get rid of the "soap" effect. Unfortunately, the television manufacturers are at fault here, because they stupidly ship their TV's with less than ideal motion settings by default. They should ship them without all the motion interpolation amped up to start out with, and the let the customer figure out how to turn that feature on. Or they should have an on-screen tutorial explaining how the features work, and how to adjust the motion settings to the customer's liking. Some of the people that work for Samsung really are stupid. They have figured out how to put a few onscreen tutorials on their TV's and many people have returned their LCD's and LED's because they couldn't understand how to adjust the motion processing on the TV. There is no excuse why Samsung and other manufacturers can't provide some nice colorful HD tutorials on screen to teach people how to adjust their set properly.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19553938

Cheers

Davyo

Agreed. I have a C8000 LED and a C8000 PDP right now. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and neither is clearly superior over the other in all cases. I like certain things about each one.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/19553981

I would agree for 2D viewing (as long as you don't have off-axis seating). But every single review prefers 3D on plasma over LED. (I assume the OP is interested in 3D since he bought a 3D plasma.)

I've bought 4 Samsungs now that are 3D capable--2 PDP's and 2 LED's. I have never watched even one second of 3D in my home. I checked it out in the store only. Some people buy the 3D sets because they are the top of the line models, and you get better 2D PQ with the higher-end sets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.