AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Hitachi 51SWX20B and found that watching D* on Ultimate TV using S-video is horrible. The picture is very blurry. Watching on DVD through component looks very good. Not being able to enjoy watching television was very disappointing so I went out and bought the Samsung SIR160 for HDTV. I hooked the receiver up using DVI and the HDTV channels look amazing, but there are less than 10 channels to view on HDTV and the rest of the channels don't look much better than the Ultimate TV. To make it even more frustrating, my old Sony 52" 4:3 RP and the 10 year old 32" Sony Trinitron in my bedroom give a better picture on D* than my new Hitachi. What can I do to make watching television more acceptable? Should I get a smaller television? Maybe I should drop the RPTV and go to a tube.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How far are you sitting from the RPTV? So a search for "viewing distance" and you will come up with lots of recommendations. I would estimate you need to be about 8 feet awy, but double check. The further away you are , the better it will look. For the "rest of the channels" besides your HD channels, they are likely not broadcast in HD, or they are really broadcast in regular SDTV to D* and upconverted to an HD format...meaning they will probably look no better. Of course, you are comparing that regular signal to the 1080i HDTV signal, which is amazing. There have always been issues with viewing standard 4:3 TV on a 16:9 widescreen...stretching, expanding, side bars are all a reality that many people who watch lots of regular programming have problems getting used to. If after reading suggestions from your searches you are still not happy, and you are watching mostly regular SDTV programming, a 16:9 RPTV may not be for you. Remember there are going to be more and more stations going HD, so hopefully you will be happier in the future.

I too am a new RPTV owner, and was initially disappointed with viewing regular programming. Some channels look better than others. There are many ways to try to tweak the best picture out of your TV, and I recommend you search the forum for "ghosting" and "hitachi tweak". The most experienced RPTV owners and calibrators view this forum everyday, so you have come to the right place to find answers.

The more I learn the less I realize I know......You just have to want to learn to work with your TV.

·
Registered
409 Posts
First of all, drop the svideo and get a STB with component that alone will improve the image quality. As is always with larger TVs and WS, non WS SD material isn't going to look good after seeing DVI DVD and HD channels. You get spoiled but its no reason to not enjoy your set.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Actually SD channels may look better with the S-video connection than the component cables. It varies by TV, set top box and cable provider.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I am now viewing the SD channels as well as HD channels through the Samsung HDTV receiver via DVI. The SD channels are still blurry/fuzzy. I am using 1080i. Would it make a difference if I viewed the SD at something other than 1080i?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Have you tried 720p yet? How does it look?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Since nobody asked this, have you had a chance to have your TV calibrated? How about at least "tweaking" it yourself ala Avia or Video Essentials? Doing these steps can be quite beneficial to your well-being.:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yosh70,

It's funny you should ask this question. I just received my copy of Digital Video Essentials this afternoon. I will pop it in tomorrow and give it a shot.

As for tweaking the television, I looked at the tweaks for Hitachi's and don't feel too comfortable with opening up the set and toying with the guts. I am a computer tech so I guess I could give it a shot, but I'm a bit hesitant. If DVE don't help, I may give it a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.