AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this quote from the alt.tv.tech.hdtv newsgroup...

"I heard that one of the most effective ways to get a station to change was

to show a captured pic of the "fat-vision" to on-air talent (like news

anchors)...they quickly told the station to fix it. Vanity is our ally in

the war against aspect ratio distortion. :)"

Currently, my STB does not have a capability to take stretched 4:3 material back to it's original aspect ratio. And sure, I have the option to watch ESPN on their regular SD channel in 4:3, however the picture quality is pretty bad compared to the up-converted HD signal on ESPN-HD.

Since some of us in this forum have the ability to capture and possibly at least one of us who may have email contact to send that capture to more than one of ESPN's talent, the results could be OAR on SD material.

Possible...that is if ESPN-HD has the money it takes to employ that extra someone to sit there and flip the switch.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
I picked up this quote from the alt.tv.tech.hdtv newsgroup...
This happened with one of the DC stations, but I don't recall which one. It was a female news anchor who complained.

Quote:
Possible...that is if ESPN-HD has the money it takes to employ that extra someone to sit there and flip the switch.
There is no switch to flip. The only switching that gets done is during an HD broadcast, and that switch merely determines whether the encoder gets fed from the stretched and upconverted SD (for commercials) or the raw HD (for the game).

All ESPN has to do is stop feeding the encoder stretched and upconverted SD, but instead feed it upconverted SD with sidebars. Then, the current switch will do exactly what we want it to do.

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
Never underestimate peoples' vanity. When the makers of a brand of solvent were worried that teenagers might sniff it to get high, the guys who write the "danger" messages added "may cause facial disfigurement" to the list of cautions. They figured if risk of brain damage or death wouldn't grab them, the risk of wrecking their looks would.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.