AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first projector the Sanyo PLV-Z2 and put up a temporary parkland plastic screen. I went with projector centrals suggestion in their review of the Z2 that said to use a low gain high contrast screen and got Da-Lite to send me samples of the High Contrast Cinema Vision and High Contrast Da-Mat material. After attaching the samples to the white plastic temporary screen I was very disappointed in the image on the samples. Both improved blacks but really darkened the colors and killed the whites. Although I really like black blacks I think the trade off is definitely not worth it. The blacks on the white plastic are very good except when the scene is mostly dark with very little contrast then they look dark gray. I think I will get Da-Lites white screen samples and pick from one of them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am just getting my first projector (HS-20). I am creating massive brain overload trying to decide on a screen. The only thing I have decided is that I will not be buying a gray screen. Maybe it's because I have not developed an eye for what good home theater should look like, but it just does not look good to me.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hi Power might be a good one to check out. A lot of people have gotten that and been very impressed. It is a higher gain white material, which will greatly bring out the vibrancy of the projectors.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just finished installing my Hi Power, and even in a room with imperfect light control the picture is very good. I'll have to wait til night to really play around with it, but so far it's a lot better than a bedsheet or plain wall.

P.S. I bought it through Daniel, got a great price, too bad Emery turned my "2 day" shipping into an 8 day ordeal.

·
Premium Member
26,450 Posts
I'm using a Cinema 13HD LCD projector in a total light controlled room. I've demo'd both the HCDM and HCCV screens (106" diag). The projector was calibrated by Kevin Miller.

I really liked the HCDM material best. It provided better blacks and a smoother overall image (one could read into that, that it hid the image imperfections=meaning less detail). One adjustment that I made to Kevin's calibration is to push up the brightness on some films. I set up two modes, the true ISF mode and a modified brightness/ISF mode. I did not find a loss of color and saturation, but one could be slightly critical of the whites.

I haven't found a lot of success in demo'ing screen samples-I don't have the "eye" to discern the true difference in material (at least in similar material types). I was fortunate enough to have full screens of both of the above mentioned materials.

Ron

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I received the Da-lite sample pack. After reviewing all the samples (in front of a projector), I decided I liked the High Power and the HCMW best. The former makes the whites considerably brighter. From posts here, the overall improvement in apparent contrast should help the blacks still look rich enough. However, if an increase in black WITHOUT much high-end loss is in your crystal ball, be sure to check out the High Contrast Matte White (HCMW). It's effect was considerably more subtle on whites (and blacks).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a ceiling mounted z2 and just got a high power screen. I was worried about the the retro reflective properties of it because the sample really had a very narrow viewing cone. With a full 106" screen it is great. The cone is not as big an issue as I thought it would be. I have my screen mounted right up to the ceiling, and I hope I will love it as much as I do now when I drop it about a foot.

I can now watch a show with lights on in low lamp mode with iris half to fully closed, which helps the contrast.

That said, I was more concerned with brighness and a vibrant screen. If you are the same, check out the high power.

Don

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another vote here for the Z2 and high power.

·
Registered
525 Posts
guys, check out the carada samples ....I have a friend who bought the Z2 and after speaking with him tonight says the 1.0 carada looks great...worth a look:) personally, I use a 1.0 with my IF7200, and it looked eons better than stewart/dalite models... I did a review here a while back on the screen, and packing/quality and thoughts...*thumbs up*

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering purchasing a Studio Experience HD2 or HD1 (or even perhaps a demo HD13). I have a small viewing room and these units with their lens shift options seem to provide good setup options. However, I am concerned with contrast and lumen issues. I have blinds on our windows and can control the overall light, but there will be some ambient light in the room during the day although not a lot. I am considering also, using the Da-lite Insta-Theater screen and this comes in the High Power surface. Any suggestions re: the above units with this surface? Will there be enough contrast with the High Power surface? Also, will this surface cause any problems with ambient room light present? Thanks very much!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
However, if an increase in black WITHOUT much high-end loss is in your crystal ball, be sure to check out the High Contrast Matte White (HCMW).

I agree with Gregg. I received a full Da-Lite sample pack a few days ago and found that the only sample that increased the black output with very little effect on the white output was the High Contrast Matt White. The only drawback I could see was a slight glitter when looking at a solid white or very bright area. This may bother me when watching a movie on a full screen made from this material. The High Power was great for brightening up the image. My projector is ceiling mounted about even with the screen top and sitting at center screen the image was extremely illuminated. I couldn't believe it! However it didn't help the black level and more importantly for me the effect disappeared at 3' from center with output looking normal.

I've now narrowed it down to the Da-Mat or High Contrast Matt White.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.