AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a box I want to turn into a Linux server (http, ftp, ssh etc ...) and have a raid 5 on it for my media backup and streaming. The problem is linux is giving me pure h3!!. I must do software b/c I'm using on board sata (which supports raid 5 but apparently is fakeRaid), so I create it and on next reboot one of the drives has dropped out and not good stuff. Because of this I'm thinking (although this goes against everything I stand for) of doing a Windows Home Server and running my linux vm's in there for my other servers (had the same drives on a win 7 box raid 5 with no problems, so I doubt the drives are the problem). Wondering if anyone has experience doing this? The one thing I'm worried about is the WHS overhead and the cost of running that as opposed to a stripped down linux, also security and having this exposed on the net all the time. I'm really looking to get input here to solve this the way it is, not "go out and buy a 200$ raid controller", I don't want to spend any more money than I already have. So thanks for any helpful advice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't think you need to spend $200 on a RAID card but it would appear to be a driver issue. Is it possible to upgrade the firmware or motherboard BIOS for the RAID function.

If all else fails you only need a suitable SATA card.

I have a £30 one from ebay with a Silicon image chipset. Whilst obviously not the fastest card it has worked flawlessly for a few years as a Linux software RAID host controller and is easily fast enough to stream any current content.

The card supports RAID but I prefer the flexibility of a software volume in case of hardware failure.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nownot /forum/post/17047190

So I have a box I want to turn into a Linux server (http, ftp, ssh etc ...) and have a raid 5 on it for my media backup and streaming. The problem is linux is giving me pure h3!!. I must do software b/c I'm using on board sata (which supports raid 5 but apparently is fakeRaid), so I create it and on next reboot one of the drives has dropped out and not good stuff. Because of this I'm thinking (although this goes against everything I stand for) of doing a Windows Home Server and running my linux vm's in there for my other servers (had the same drives on a win 7 box raid 5 with no problems, so I doubt the drives are the problem). Wondering if anyone has experience doing this? The one thing I'm worried about is the WHS overhead and the cost of running that as opposed to a stripped down linux, also security and having this exposed on the net all the time. I'm really looking to get input here to solve this the way it is, not "go out and buy a 200$ raid controller", I don't want to spend any more money than I already have. So thanks for any helpful advice.

if you want help, you'll need to be a lot more specific: What linux distro are you using? What motherboard do you have? What types of disks?

Linux raid5 is pretty easy to set up in the config you have, but there are lots of things that can cause problems. the more detail you give us, the easier it is to help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope that I can also join the thread. I am having Cent OS 5, 64bit with 16GB RAM, 300 GB Usable raid (total 600GB). I wanted to have a streaming server, mainly for media files such as avi, mpg and mkv files. I wanted to connect my video camera or desktop saved avis to send files to streaming server and subscribed users can see - such as a type video/audio conference.

I do not know where to start? what are the softwares (open source or license paid s/w) need to load and how can I connect my windows xp desktop and other users desktop with it?

I can understand and research to get it working as I administer my linux servers.Any lead or pointers are appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to do search in bing to find out more and more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts