AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's noticeable input lag with this off. I played MLB 09: The Show, did a batting practice with all fast balls to test between game mode on and off. After getting used to game mode off, I switched it to on and all of a sudden I was early on pitches - went back and forth many of times and it's a fact that with game mode set on things are quick and responsive like they should be. What sucks about this is that it degrades picture quality in order to speed up the processes if I'm correct? And I'm forced to play games in Standard Mode - also at it's default Game Mode settings the Image Retention is tremendous.

Cell Light: 7

Contrast: 95

Brightness: 45

Sharpness: 50

Color: 50

Okay noticed that Dynamic Contrast was on Medium - could this be why the image retention is major?

Black Tone: Off

Gamma: 0

Color Space: Native [which is COLOR: RED -- Red:50 Green:0 Blue:0]

White Balance is all at 25

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: On

Color Tone: Normal

This is Game Mode's default settings, you can't change the Mode to anything but standard and also can't change the Color Tone either. These settings are nothing like my other HDMI input for television.

Note: I do think things look good with Game Mode on, maybe just a little too colorful and bright I guess. But I would much prefer getting the realistic and natural colors which I can't do with Game Mode set on I don't think.

Note 2: Lowering the sharpness doesn't really look good to me, not near as sharp as it is at 50 - not sure if that could be a factor with heavy image retention or not but yeah.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap /forum/post/16998033

Contrast at 95..?! Doesnt it hurt your eyes? Or the plasma..?

With contrast at 95
(is 100 the max?), no wonder you get major IR. Try easing up on the contrast, maybe bump up brightness a bit to compensate. Better yet, get a full calibration by a knowledgeable ISF tech (many good one's on the forum) and have peace of mind knowing your set is dialed in correctly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well it sounds like the IR issue is gonna be hit or miss depending on your settings, but as far as the other problem, do you see any noticeable input lag on any other games?

I try playing a demo of mlb09 on my little viewsonic lcd (i know, its a viewsonic
) and i cant hit anything to save my life. fun game though

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 /forum/post/16997477

There's noticeable input lag with this off. I played MLB 09: The Show, did a batting practice with all fast balls to test between game mode on and off. After getting used to game mode off, I switched it to on and all of a sudden I was early on pitches - went back and forth many of times and it's a fact that with game mode set on things are quick and responsive like they should be. What sucks about this is that it degrades picture quality in order to speed up the processes if I'm correct? And I'm forced to play games in Standard Mode - also at it's default Game Mode settings the Image Retention is tremendous.

Cell Light: 7

Contrast: 95

Brightness: 45

Sharpness: 50

Color: 50

Okay noticed that Dynamic Contrast was on Medium - could this be why the image retention is major?

Black Tone: Off

Gamma: 0

Color Space: Native [which is COLOR: RED -- Red:50 Green:0 Blue:0]

White Balance is all at 25

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: On

Color Tone: Normal

This is Game Mode's default settings, you can't change the Mode to anything but standard and also can't change the Color Tone either. These settings are nothing like my other HDMI input for television.

Note: I do think things look good with Game Mode on, maybe just a little too colorful and bright I guess. But I would much prefer getting the realistic and natural colors which I can't do with Game Mode set on I don't think.

Note 2: Lowering the sharpness doesn't really look good to me, not near as sharp as it is at 50 - not sure if that could be a factor with heavy image retention or not but yeah.

This happens on my Sony Xbr4. There is a "text mode" option that I can turn on that fixes this so I can still use the picture settings I want. Not sure why it fixes this, but it does.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This is the only reason I didn't go with a Samsung PDP. I found some Cloned CRT tests on an A650 PDP (thanks to tqn), it looks like the B's are probably going to be about the same (if not a bit worse). At least this year you can change the most basic of settings (Contrast/Brightness/Color/Etc...). On the A's, all that stuff was locked in Torch Mode settings replete with Edge Enhancement, Dynamic Contrast, and Black Enhancer--the whole 9 yards. Sucks that you can't use Movie Mode and the Warm temp, I don't know why they continue to do this. Maybe next year... You could plug into HDMI-2 on the A's and label it PC to force the TV into a really fast PC Mode (notably faster than Game Mode). It allowed you to use Movie/Warm, but still locked a number of picture options and seemed to desaturate the color. I think they may have removed this on the B's (or at last the lag advantage of it), but you can try it out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really have the funds at the moment to get a calibration done at the moment, they're about $400 right?

GRID was another game I noticed the lag, I was having to hit the analog to turn quicker than I normally should - fixed when I turned Game Mode back on though. I would like to do a lag test, I just wouldn't know how to go about doing it. If someone can tell me what I need in order to set up a lag test. My computer is about 15 feet away from my TV, if that won't work I might be able to borrow a laptop if that's what's needed? Also what kind of cords would I need?

My set doesn't appear to have this 'text mode'

I thought B's are better than A's? I can change literally everything in Game Mode except the Mode and Color Tone - actually I think Color Tone can be changed to Cool but none of the Warms.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy714 /forum/post/17001572

I don't really have the funds at the moment to get a calibration done at the moment, they're about $400 right?

GRID was another game I noticed the lag, I was having to hit the analog to turn quicker than I normally should - fixed when I turned Game Mode back on though. I would like to do a lag test, I just wouldn't know how to go about doing it. If someone can tell me what I need in order to set up a lag test. My computer is about 15 feet away from my TV, if that won't work I might be able to borrow a laptop if that's what's needed? Also what kind of cords would I need?

My set doesn't appear to have this 'text mode'

I thought B's are better than A's? I can change literally everything in Game Mode except the Mode and Color Tone - actually I think Color Tone can be changed to Cool but none of the Warms.

Calibration's not going to do anything for your problem, I was just pointing out that having the option to change at least SOME of the settings is a dramatic improvement over last year's A's (where you couldn't change ANYTHING). Picture quality wise, the B's are definitely better. Lag wise, they're either the same or a little worse in Standard Modes. I think "Game Mode" is identical though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that, but for overall picture quality aside from gaming a calibration is definitely something I want but just can't afford at the moment. With Game Mode turned on I'm 100% happy with the lag category, as there seems to be none and everything feels real quick and responsive as it should. It just sucks to know that the picture quality is degraded slightly. And as far as the image retention I'm not all too sure what to change in order to stop that, with things still looking it's best. Because right now I can literally have the PS3's keyboard up for 10 second and the image will stick when I close it out - it's like that for everything. I had a B560 that I only did 20 hours of break in and played on [because it was being picked up to be returned within a week], and it seemed like image retention lessened as more hours were put into use with the TV. With this B650 though, there's been no sign of image retention lessening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.