AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
May want to give out the room dimension & budget so you can get more input. OTOH, I would find a store with good return policy so you can test them in your own space.

Be upfront w/ the store about your search and they may 'lend' you their demo.

Cheers,

TP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangvtien /forum/post/0

I recently upgraded to focal 700 series from about 10 year old infiniti speakers however there not a lot of differences, i am running the panasonic xr-57 bi wired. is there any specific settings that i need to set? i have a normal sony dvd player could that be the cause? do i need a better cd player? i am runnng optical.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:

I recently upgraded to focal 700 series from about 10 year old infiniti speakers however there not a lot of differences, i am running the panasonic xr-57 bi wired. is there any specific settings that i need to set? i have a normal sony dvd player could that be the cause? do i need a better cd player? i am runnng optical.

Although sometimes people get annoyed when this is suggested, here goes anyway: try room treatments. A untreated room surprisingly is often the cause of a less than satisfactory SQ. Sometimes people trade equipment to try to solve a problem that is actually room related.

What you haven't told us is what exactly you were expecting to be different. Soundstage width or depth? Better midrange/treble clarity? More/less bass?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is about 7 feet from the speaker to the listener, but it is an open area in the back. The bass is better, but I was more concerned about the clarity of the vocals. Could the cd player also be the culprit?

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:

It is about 7 feet from the speaker to the listener, but it is an open area in the back. The bass is better, but I was more concerned about the clarity of the vocals. Could the cd player also be the culprit?

Just my opinion as I own Focal 700's they like power. Ive point towards your receiver then anything else. I just upgrade from a pioneer 1014 to an elite 82 "around 30 watts per channel difference" and there was a tremendous difference. The better sound processing helped as well, but yeah they defintly enjoy power

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
+1 for room treatments.

But before you take that step, make sure the room is optimal for sound. The room is the biggest factor in how the sound produced by your system actually "sounds" by the time it hits your ears.

That means where the speakers are located with relation to the walls (at least 2-3' away from back walls, more from side walls, not on shelves and not next to TVs or stands) and to the listening position (are they in the proper equilateral triangle, or whatever setup the manufacturer recommends? have you experimented to find the optimal toe-in angle for soundstage, imaging, center vocal clarity?). It means a rug on a bare floor, and objects to break up flat coffee table surfaces. It means curtains on windows, bookshelves on walls. It means not having the listening position against a wall.

Are you running the speakers 2.1 with a sub for music? What kind of speakers and sub? How do you have the bass management set up? Where's the sub? Have you optimized the phase and crossover settings, along with sub placement, for smoothest response?

Once all that's done, then you can start thinking about room treatments. Which can completely improve the sound, depending on the room's inherent acoustics. At the very least, bass traps in corners will tighten up bass and low mid-range, take away boominess, and reveal tons of detail in bass. This also improves the rest of the sound by making it more balanced and detailed.

You can take a stereo system (amp, speakers, etc.), and it will sound completely different when placed in every room. That's why you want to minimize the room's effects so you can hear more of the sound of the speakers and equipment, and less of the room's effects on the sound.

·
Registered
572 Posts
All the above suggestions are vrey valid - After the room treatment suggestions, I would upgrade the rcvr to one with room eq - such as Audessy, MCACC (Pioneer) - I have heard both and think they are priceless.

Good Luck

Regards, Tom

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi /forum/post/10636232

Just my opinion as I own Focal 700's they like power. Ive point towards your receiver then anything else. I just upgrade from a pioneer 1014 to an elite 82 "around 30 watts per channel difference" and there was a tremendous difference. The better sound processing helped as well, but yeah they defintly enjoy power

the 700 series just needs a receiver that can handel 4ohm loads, not power as they average 90db 1w1m accross the 700 series. If you were trying to gain with power id say increasing with and amp that has more than 100wpc difference would be a start 30wpc doesnt have any audiable gains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.