AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title of the thread says it all. Anyone living in the GTA should see the new technology for themselves.As for the film and George Lucas, that's another story. I agree with members who stated in a similar thread that Lucas is not a great director and he could give a rat's you-know-what about what critics or fans think about his stories. As he siad last week in an interview" Star Wars belongs to me, not the fans so why would I listen to them?" He's got a point as long as we keep fattening his wallet.

·
Registered
855 Posts
OK I'll bite. Which theatres are displaying it digitally?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMAX Colossus in Woodbridge and the AMC complex nearby.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Staying on a Canadian theme, anyone know if they'll be showing it digitally in Ottawa? (If even Waterloo's got a digital theater, Ottawa's got to have one right??) :)

How'd you guys find out if it was playing in digital or not? Is there a complete listing somewhere?

Kal

·
Registered
206 Posts
Famous Players Colossus IS showing the film digitally but it's NOT in the AMC nearby . The AMC with the digital presentation is their Winston Churchill location in Oakville.

Ottawa has no cinema currently equipped for digital presentation.

Waterloo has a digital cinema because the head office of one of the technology developers is located there. They are still way too expensive to be installed on a wide basis.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all,

I went to watch Episode II at the AMC 24 in Oakville last night on their DLP screen (cinema #13 for anyone who's interested) and wanted to share my thoughts.

Picture Quality

As was to be expected, the image was virtually pristine -- no specks, no dirt, no odd skips. Other than the sheer cleaness of the picture, I wasn't able to tell the difference between the DLP image and film (but then again, I don't have that great an eye for these types of things).

This is not to say that the projected movie was perfect: in fact, there were two clear instances where a line appeared for a second or two at the top tenth of the screen. It looked as though someone had put a gash in the screen. I'm not sure what caused this flaw or if there's a specific name for this type of thing, but I was a bit surprised to see it occur.

Sound

Here's the part where I'm puzzled. I saw a few trailers and splashes for the DLP system but didn't see a THX trailer. With so many megaplexes being equipped with SDDS and DTS, I couldn't tell what it was I was hearing (I'm guessing it was THX). The sound didn't seem terribly dynamic to me; it just seemed loud. Maybe this was a problem with the film itself and not the facilities? I don't know. I'm no expert on this subject (I don't even own a DD5.1 system at home) so I was probably treated to something I didn't quite appreciate.

The Movie - Good Points ** spoilers **

Lucas, his stunt choreographers, and his F/X crew still haven't lost their touch when it comes to putting together action sequences. I preferred the opening chase on Coruscant to the overly long Ben Hur ripoff in The Phantom Menace. Anakin got to show off his brashness and arrogance (more on this later), but his ability to anticipate Zam's position was too unbelievable, even for a sci-fi popcorn flick.

The epic battle between the clones and the droid army was still a bit busy for my tastes but an incredible technical achievement nonetheless. With there being fewer CGI in the parts leading up to the climax, I found the F/X-laden finale to be easier to handle this time around.

The sequence that impressed me the most was Yoda's lightsaber duel with Dooku. After three movies where we saw him as the wise mentor, it was amazing to see him cut loose.

Aside from the action, I thought that Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid did a good job despite their limited screen time and some rather stiff lines. Lee's character of Dooku, I thought, was nicely built up as a formidable villain. (In retrospect, though, Dooku's encounter with Obi-Wan and Anakin makes me wonder more than ever how the former Padawan of Qui-Gon ever managed to get the best of Darth Maul.)

Finally, while McGregor didn't exactly have to run gambit of emotions in this movie, I was still impressed with him because his imitation of Alec Guinness. I genuinely felt like I was listening to a younger version of Guinness whenever McGregor spoke.

The Movie - Bad Points ** spoilers **

Now is it just me or was the whole Anakin-Padmé love story slow, forced, and uninspired? I couldn't wait for them to get off the screen! Obi-Wan's investigation wasn't complex and involving by any means but I wholeheartedly welcomed it over Dawson's Creek In Space. Actually, I apologize -- Dawson's Creek is better written than the Anakin-Padmé bit.

And about Anakin ... when does he learn to become the cool bad-ass? At this point, he's grown from an annoying runt to annoying teenager. I found him to be abrasive, witless, and rather unlikeable. Isn't the protagonist supposed to be a sympathetic character? I'm guessing that Lucas wants to move away from that school of storytelling, because he sure as heck didn't make me care about Anakin ... or Padmé for that matter.

Shmi's cameo was so blatantly a plot device that it was painful to watch. It seemed as though Messrs Lucas and Hale knew that they needed something to drive the plot along and decided to do it in minimalist fashion. I always thought that having a character appear just to be killed off was reserved for the red shirts in Star Trek. Perhaps Lucas felt he needed to appeal to kids ... by writing at a five-year-old level.

The glossing over of the midi-chlorians and the lack of an explanation for Qui-Gon's nondisappearing act seemed like copouts. And if you think that they'll be addressed in Episode III, think again.

Now, I realize that Star Wars has never been known for its acting, but I still prefer the job done by Hamill, Fisher, Ford, and the gang to what Lucas has assembled in this movie. Portman, Christensen, and even Jackson seemed to sleepwalk through the movie.

To give the actors the benefit of the doubt, I have to admit that it's probably fairly difficult and distracting to act in front of blue screens all the time with characters and sets that won't appear until the F/X crew puts them in. And the one-dimensional (or perhaps even semi-dimensional) characterization didn't help their cause, either. The best thing I can say about the writing in this movie is that it didn't suck as much as it did from Episode I.

Oh, and one last thing: Attack of the Clones? Don't titles starting with "Attack of" indicate that whoever is doing the attacking is trying to whip the good guys' butts? I think a title like The Clone Wars Begin would be a bit more accurate.

The Wrap-Up

This first DLP experience has me sold on the technology. When I went to see Snatch, the film broke, causing a ten-minute interruption in the movie. When I went to see The Fellowship of the Ring, I missed several lines because of those parts where the reels were spliced together (sorry guys, I don't know the proper name for those things). I didn't have to worry about things like that for digital projection. And again, the image, aside from the two anomalies, was clean as clean can be.

Now if only the movie had been as good as the projection system ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.