AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed 3 different styles of screen format being displayed on my HD screen (16:9 Samsung)...

1) All-the-way-to-the-edges HD

2) 4:3 broadcasts (either side bar'd or cropped.)

3) (and here's the question) Really nice (but not quite HD) resolution of OTA digital stations with smaller than normal black side bars. Usually see this on local news broadcasts.

What kind of signal is this?

-jerry

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
Let me guess... you're seeing #3 on KOVR out of Sacramento?
Nope... KGO out of SF.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GQB
I've noticed 3 different styles of screen format being displayed on my HD screen (16:9 Samsung)...

1) All-the-way-to-the-edges HD

2) 4:3 broadcasts (either side bar'd or cropped.)

3) (and here's the question) Really nice (but not quite HD) resolution of OTA digital stations with smaller than normal black side bars. Usually see this on local news broadcasts.

What kind of signal is this?

-jerry
Well, IMHO #3 is a debauchery :D

What you're seeing is a partially zoomed 4:3 image leaving thin side bars. Two station in Los Angeles do this, ABC and KTLA. I don't watch either of those stations. It's especially frustrating to see this when I have the Dish 6000 which allows me to do my own aspect control. The stations should give the viewer the options for aspect control. They shouldn't do it for us.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ah, the controversial "14:9" format.

It's a "compromise" format to help fill a 16:9 screen with 4:3 media. It zooms in a bit - chopping off some of the top & bottom.

I think it's lame, cause I have a 4:3 HD set and have my DTC100 set to "16:9 zoom" mode, so I'm getting an image that's cropped from all sides.

KTLA experimented in multicasting the 14:9 with 4:3 feed, but something went wrong and it their whole DTV transmission was dead for about a week. I hope they figure it and try it again.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roman
Ah, the controversial "14:9" format.

It's a "compromise" format to help fill a 16:9 screen with 4:3 media. It zooms in a bit - chopping off some of the top & bottom.

I think it's lame, cause I have a 4:3 HD set and have my DTC100 set to "16:9 zoom" mode, so I'm getting an image that's cropped from all sides.

KTLA experimented in multicasting the 14:9 with 4:3 feed, but something went wrong and it their whole DTV transmission was dead for about a week. I hope they figure it and try it again.
Interesting. I didn't know that KTLA tried that. But then I wouldn't know as I don't watch that channel because of their bizarre zooming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.