AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, I have had an older 60" Sony Grand Wega since new that was awesome for the last 6 years. It has a problem, and I didn't want to drop $400 on the optical engine, so I shopped for a half decently rated and priced LCD. I decided on the Sharp over the similar Samsung at my local Costco because of the reviews I read.

I got the Sharp home and set up. It's a 120Hz 60" "Smart TV", flat panel. For the picture quality, I ran a THX optimizer on it so it had a good starting baseline.

So, one of my problems is, the speakers sound like garbage on both wall-mount or non wall-mount settings. So I basically just use my surround system, which is nothing crazy, but decent. Aside from THX, what can I use as an optimizer?

But more than that, I get crazy pixellation at random times. I watch HD programming 99% of the time, whether through my DVR or the PS3. We wont get into the streaming Netflix problem just yet.(It looks like crap compared to streaming to my PS3 through the TV).

I have Comcast cable who I called and asked if my older DVR might be the problem, no definite answer. And use my PS3 as my BR player.

Anyways, golf and other sports are the worst, picture-wise. Any time the camera pans and something is in motion, it breaks up, around the ball especially. Movies are just OK.

I watched The Avengers BR on my PS3, and it looked horrible. Blurring and streaking. Watched an older movie, Avatar, also BR and it looked great.

So, now I'm considering returning this thing. I've spent hours reading forums and working through the settings, which it has a lot. Still kind of disappointed.   I am seriously considering ordering the optical engine for my old set..

Any input or ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ya, enhancements are off. I figured I'd be relying on the processor too much. Dunno if that's true or not.

I just applied the recommended Cnet video settings in the Movie mode. Looks good, but I had to turn up the Backlight and Brightness a bit, it looked a little muted. The settings were posted before the software update, might have something to do with it.

Is it a good idea to enter the same picture value settings in Game?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So I've tried using the Cnet settings and another group of settings from another site. My picture ends up looking washed out.

Where can I find other sources for getting this TV to look good?

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
I would recommend buying a disc (there are many available) and adjusting settings that way. Using other people's settings is not always good due to panel variances and personal choice. If you don't have or don't want to buy a meter the next best thing is using one of the many setup discs to adjust your screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedmt  /t/1528287/not-super-excited-about-my-new-sharp-lc60le650u#post_24629085

So, now I'm considering returning this thing. I've spent hours reading forums and working through the settings, which it has a lot. Still kind of disappointed. 
1) Return it while under the "policy" (if purchased at a local B&M store).

2) Pay to have it professionally calibrated (not a "Geek Squad calibration).

3) "Using other people's settings is not always good due to panel variances and personal choice." Good advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks. Yeah, since I bought it at Costco, I have 90 days to return it. I spent some time with it today and have it looking half decent, I'll work with it more. I just DL'd Mascior's optimizer, so we will see what comes of that.

Could the coax line coming into the house make a difference? Not the digital style, but the solid core type. There's only a date on it, manufactured sometime in '05.

·
Registered
22,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedmt  /t/1528287/not-super-excited-about-my-new-sharp-lc60le650u#post_24632541

Could the coax line coming into the house make a difference? Not the digital style, but the solid core type. There's only a date on it, manufactured sometime in '05.
Doubtful.

1) that would not cause problems with Bluray and/or PS3

2) the coax was fine for 6 years. Assuming you didn't change or mess around with anything, it would be a strange coincidence that "something" went bad when you installed a new TV.

What's a "digital style" coax?

If you are concerned with the quality/integrity of the incoming coax and/or signal levels, contact Comcast to come out and inspect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

By "digital" I just meant RG6 or higher, unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is highly possible. My thinking was that the requirements of HDTV are different than 9 years ago.

·
Registered
22,413 Posts
Nope. You're correct about misunderstanding (or misconception).

RG59, 6 or 11... they are all capable of providing analog or digital carrier signals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yeah,  I'm kinda new to the newer stuff. My 7 year old stuff didn't really have a lot of variables... Can I even call it tech anymore? Probably not... lol

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
How do these compare to the 640u ?

·
Registered
22,413 Posts
1) return/exchange the TV.

2) have the TV "professionally" calibrated

3) call your cable provider

Not much else to suggest. Make a rational choice before your 90 day window comes to a close.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hey Ratman, good to see you.

·
Registered
22,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity  /t/1528287/not-super-excited-about-my-new-sharp-lc60le650u#post_24635980

Hey Ratman, good to see you.
Can you really see me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So, I returned that TV. It was absolutely crap. I bought a 60" Samsung plasma for $200 less. It sounds better, looks 100% better. Granted it's not a "smart" TV, but I wouldn't use that stuff anyway.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedmt  /t/1528287/not-super-excited-about-my-new-sharp-lc60le650u#post_24675027

So, I returned that TV. It was absolutely crap. I bought a 60" Samsung plasma for $200 less. It sounds better, looks 100% better. Granted it's not a "smart" TV, but I wouldn't use that stuff anyway.

Head on over to the Plasma Forum. Good Luck with your new TV!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts