AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Sammy on Saturday and I am not sure I am as blown away by the PQ as I had expected to be. How would I know if I have a defective one? Everything appears to be working properly. HDNet is not blowing me away. ESPN HD Vikes/Bears looked mediocre to me. Source is a Sony HD-200 via DVI. Any tips to decide if my sammy is working properly would be appreciated! FYI - Software is dated July, 2003. I don't recall the version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get a DVI based DVD player to try out. I got a momitsu and it made a world of difference on how I thought the PQ was on my 567 (since returned due to the rainbows, but that's a different issue.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
A lot of ESPN HD programs are bogus HD - its usually lame SD stretched sideways. HDNet programs are so-so depending on content.

Since you obviously have the HD package from DirectTV, check out

Insectia on Discovery HD Theatre Thursday evenings. It is consistently very good. You can also try to see if you can catch a PBS demo loop off the air.

I disagree with using DVD to check. Even the best DVI enabled DVD player does not compare with HD, since its actually only 480p.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kmp14
I just got my Sammy on Saturday and I am not sure I am as blown away by the PQ as I had expected to be. How would I know if I have a defective one? Everything appears to be working properly. HDNet is not blowing me away. ESPN HD Vikes/Bears looked mediocre to me. Source is a Sony HD-200 via DVI. Any tips to decide if my sammy is working properly would be appreciated! FYI - Software is dated July, 2003. I don't recall the version.
You may want to try your HD200 via a good pair of component cables verse DVI. I know the DVI is supposed to be better but I can tell you on my plasma the HD200 via component blows away DVI. I have a 567 that I just got and haven't hooked up yet so I can't tell you if the same holds true for it via DVI. Like mentioned very little on ESPN HD is actually in HD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to state that without doing any adjustments yet to any menus that the game last night on ESPNHD was excellent. I thought the field shots were amazing. To make it even better I watched the second half on an old 32 crt sony that has been a good performer for me over the 10 years that I have has it. The Eagles-Pats game on D* 70 yesterday couldn't be any better in my opinion. I have the 567 connected to a hd200 with dvi. I have rp91 connected by component and have had no problems. Just waiting to get a few more hours on the bulb before I attack the service menu. I am really enjoying the set.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
kmp14,

Since your Sammy seems to otherwise be operating well, PQ issues can probably be fixed with a copy of Digital Video Essentials.

baja,

If the signal from your HD200 'blows away' DVI input, I would check out the HD200. If there is no problem there, you may need to have your (DVI) input calibrated.

The DLP is the only pure digital set available right now. If you feed it a pure (no D/A or A/D conversion) signal, i.e. from a Bravo D1 or Pioneer 59AVi DVD player, the result should be as good a picture as you would ever want to see. Everything else should just be 'great'!

Since display manufacturers cannot possibly calibrate every set they sell to every buyers preferences, DVE and tweaking will always help. It's how you personalize OOTB PQ. If it's really off, ISF calibration may be necessary (especially with CRT and LCD displays).

Happy viewing!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Can anyone compare for me the 567 (which I hvae not seen) and the 507 (which I have seen)? I'm interested in differences in image quality, etc.

My biggest complaint with the 507 was it's dimness (unlike 437 and 617). Wondering if the 567 is any better, despite the same 100W lamp.

·
Coyote Waits
27,303 Posts
They all have the same internal components. Where could there be a difference unless it's in the configuration of the set or the 100w lamp? I don't think "dimness" is related to the model.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
htwaits--

well, you have a couple of variables:

1) output of lamp (watts)

2) size of screen

3) light engine improvements (efficiency)

So, the 43" with 100w lamp is extremely bright, but stretched to 50" it's not so bright. The 61" with 120w is also very bright. The 567 could have improvements, but I can't find one to see.

Tecman estimated awhile back that about 5-10% (?) of the 100w output was actually getting to the screen. You'd think they'd have made *some* improvements in that in the last year.

·
Coyote Waits
27,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doug_k
3) light engine improvements (efficiency)

Tecman estimated awhile back that about 5-10% (?) of the 100w output was actually getting to the screen. You'd think they'd have made *some* improvements in that in the last year.
I haven't heard anything about light engine improvements, but I guess it's possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.