AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been posting this on other forums today so if you've already replied to one, you need not reply again. Here is my situation, I've been with Directv for going on 10 years now and for the first time in 10 years, I've been thinking about cancelling my service. It has nothing to do with being unhappy with Directv but I'm just tired of not being able to get my locals in HD without having to purchase a OTA antenna. I already have my cable modem through Adelphia so I figured instead of two bills, one from Adelphia and one from Directv, I'd just go all cable services with Adelphia and have one bill. In doing so my bill for all cable services will only be $10 cheaper than having both. So, with that said, what do you forum members prefer. Is one quality (cable vs. satellite) of the HD programming better than the other. I would love to hear what you all have to say. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Do whatever works for you.

But I am sure you'll get lots of the normal rants with this thread.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Getting local stations in HD is not that big of a deal. Only the nationally fed programs are in HD, most, if not all, locally generated programs are not in HD. I'd go with both HD options for awhile, compare for a few months, then drop one, or keep both.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
There is one thing to keep in mind with Cable. Each provider offers difference HD channel packages and each offers slightly different picture quality.

In general though the HD quality via cable providers is very good and consistent. Thats how mine has been since I got on the bandwagon in May.

What channels are offered in your area?

·
Registered
443 Posts
After all of the money you've sunk into HD, why are you opposed to purchasing and installing an antenna? I just installed D* and I'm ready to drop my cable carrier (Cablevision), who has all of the locals in HD. Granted, my locals are NYC, so D* carries most of them, but I still prefer OTA because of less compression.

·
Super Moderator
19,079 Posts
Some of us find the antenna option better because either cable doesn't carry all of the local HD stations or we're able to get out-of-town HD signals. Here, I think the cable has 4 local stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS) while, over the air, I can pick up 11 or 12, including multiple ABCs, NBCs and CBSs (handy when one of them pre-empts or misses a switch). And my antennas are all in the attic.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RGrim
I've been posting this on other forums today so if you've already replied to one, you need not reply again. Here is my situation, I've been with Directv for going on 10 years now and for the first time in 10 years, I've been thinking about cancelling my service. It has nothing to do with being unhappy with Directv but I'm just tired of not being able to get my locals in HD without having to purchase a OTA antenna. I already have my cable modem through Adelphia so I figured instead of two bills, one from Adelphia and one from Directv, I'd just go all cable services with Adelphia and have one bill. In doing so my bill for all cable services will only be $10 cheaper than having both. So, with that said, what do you forum members prefer. Is one quality (cable vs. satellite) of the HD programming better than the other. I would love to hear what you all have to say. Thanks in advance.
I don't know what market your stations are, but 1st quarter this next year one of the new satellites is going up and should be providing HD locals soon after. If you're market is in the top 50, you should be able to get your locals by this time next year at the latest. If it were me, I'd stick it out and see what happens.

Of course, the choice is yours. not mine or anyone else's here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This depends entirely on which channels your cable provider carries. Check this out. I would be shocked if your cable company carries all four of the major network HD feeds (CBS FOX NBC ABC), as well as the two minor network HD feeds (UPN & WB), and HD PBS. I have cable, and I have been toying with the idea of getting a terrestrial tuner myself because although all of these channels are available in my area, my cable provider only carries CBS, NBC and PBS. And lets face it, NBC doesn't count because NBC HD sucks. (Can I get an "amen?")

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
For many, an antenna is required to get the best PQ on local HDTV channels.

Most cable operators (but not all) are degrading their HDTV local channels with extra compression. DirecTV is likely to do the same when they put HDTV locals up on satellite in the next three years.

Once you mount the antenna (in the attic, perhaps?), the HDTV local networks are integrated into your DirecTV program guide with the satellite channels. As far as you wife knows, the off-air channels are coming from satellite just like the other channels. They've got program information and function just like satellite channels.

The ALCS and NLCS in HDTV were great....World Series in HDTV, here we come.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's funny I posted this today. I just went online to pay my Directv bill and noticed that on the left side of the screen after you log-in where Directv shows a summary of your services, I noticed something new that I have not seen before. Could someone please explain what this means:

Programming Service

HD Package

TOTAL CHOICE PLUS with Locals

Additional Receiver

Network: NBC HD_*

Network: FOX HD_*

1 Year Commitment

DIRECTV DVR

I'm at work right know so I have no way of checking to see if I actually have these channels or not.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops, my post didn't work like I expected it too. I would like someone to explain the "Network" channels. Does this mean I SHOULD be receiving them, or there is a CHANCE I could get them.

·
Super Moderator
19,079 Posts
Your local NBC and FOX stations are probably owned-and-operated by the respective networks. Which means, with either the HD pack or local channels, you're qualified to receive the east coast HD feeds from the NYC stations. You'll find them in the 80s. At current, only NBC-HD is full time. Only the World Series is available on 88/89. Regular Fox HD programs are expected to be on 86/87 as soon as they get some legal issues worked out.

·
Registered
839 Posts
HD quality on cable seems to vary widely with the different cable providers. You might check with some local Adelphia customers to find out what their experience is.

That said, assuming you have an HD off-the-air receiver, have you tried the simplest of antennas? If you're close enough to the transmitters, you might find that a paper clip in the coax connector works fine.

I love getting all my locals off the air, and saving HD programs on my HD TiVo.

Mojo

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris Jones
If you're close enough to the transmitters, you might find that a paper clip in the coax connector works fine.
Mojo,

You crack me up. I hadn't heard that one before.:D

When I first dabbled with OTA reception, I used a "quality" $3 antenna from a local supermarket (UHF/VHF combo) I had purchased some 15 years ago. I also bought a Silver Sensor. Of the 2, the $3 antenna worked best.

I moved up to Comcast though. Part of our Home Association fee pays for basic cable, so I already had that much. Adding the HD locals & a few others via the digital basic package for $9.95 a month was a no-brainer. The quality of the signals is great, with no compression artifacts.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
If you're close enough to the transmitters, you might find that a paper clip in the coax connector works fine.
With my old Panasonic STB, I don't even need a paper clip. I got stable reception on my local CBSHD affiliate without anything connected to the antenna input. The other local HD channels require a small set-top antenna, however.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
We have used a coathanger (with the hook cut off, so it forms a loop) held up by two suction cups on an outside window. Balun with alligator clips attached to the open ends of the loop.

I've wondered about trying some of that foil tape they use for burglar alarms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.