AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got apparently a new Jasper Arcade unit manufactured Dec 09 and has the power supply that's 150w.

After updating to NXE 2, the internal memory unit shows 226 mb available. Everywhere I read, people say they have 300+ mb after installing NXE (but they didnt' say which version of NXE).

I'm thinking I can't have 256 mb as NXE takes up 100+ mb, but the math does not add up for me to tell me I have 512 mb.

I'm nitpicking I know, but I'm a nerd that way.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not sure what room NXE takes up, but your 360 comes with 256 of RAM.

226k left is completely typical for a new box.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Please don't answer questions that you don't know the answer to, Walks. Moom - please ignore the entire contents of Walks post, as it is filled with nothing but factual errors.

Original Jasper Arcades came with 256MB of on-board ROM. Current editions come with 512MB of ROM. All 360's come with 512MB of RAM, contrary to Walks insistence otherwise.

My 256MB Japser Arcade, with NXE installed on the internal ROM and nothing else, has 86MB free. In other words, NXE eats up 160-170MB. If you have more than 86MB free, then you have a 512MB version, but with something else installed to the internal ROM as well, such as your Gamertags or saves or something. You can see exactly what else is installed in the Memory portion of System Settings.

This is of course assuming that they haven't snuck out a 384MB version when I wasn't looking.

Do you also have a hard drive for your 360? If so, then none of this matters, so don't worry about it. Install NXE without the HDD attached, then store everything else on the drive.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/18310899

Original Jasper Arcades came with 256MB of on-board ROM. Current editions come with 512MB of ROM. All 360's come with 512MB of RAM, contrary to Walks insistence otherwise.

256 of onboard ROM would be read-only and you wouldnt be able to save data to it, it is RAM as well just storage memory instead of system memory.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Both times you tried to make that statement, Osirus, you failed to be correct.

Flash ROM, as found on the motherboard of the 360, and the topic of this discussion, is a variety of EEPROM. You'll notice that "ROM" are the completing three letters of that acronym.

What you are trying to describe would require a rather hefty battery to maintain, and would be referred to as SRAM. Or, to avoid battery usage, it could be nvSRAM, but then we would be talking about a $2000 console instead of a $200 console.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yup, DLJ is right. All 360' from the beginning have 512 RAM, and they have gone form 16mb nand, to 256 mb nand, to 512 mb nand in the new ones. Arcades are the only ones that have the 256/512 onboard, even the newest Elites still have the 16mb nand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the answer guys, and sorry to create an argument between the 2 of u. I shoulda said 512 flash ROM to make it clearer.

I do have a HDD as well, I'm just being picky and u know us nerds like to get our money's worth and hence just knowing I have 512mb makes me happy even if I have a 20Gb HDD anyway.

The math really doesn't add up for me still;

512 - 180 (NXE2) = 332

So, without anything else on the flash ROM besides NXE2, I only have 226Mb free, therefore the system files take up 106Mb? That seems like an awful lot of room for that.....

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoosaurus /forum/post/18313930

So, without anything else on the flash ROM besides NXE2, I only have 226Mb free, therefore the system files take up 106Mb? That seems like an awful lot of room for that.....

Have you checked the Memory usage for the ROM volume?

Sounds like you may have something else installed there; might be Arcade games, demos, the iPod/Zune drivers, a tutorial video. Something.

Or maybe you have a special edition 384MB Rom arcade. ;-)

(Or maybe you *had* something there and it didn't erase cleanly. Theoretically you could re-format the volume but I doubt its worth the trouble.)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The use of terminology in this thread is making my head hurt. If we're talking about modern, re-writable, non-volatile, solid state storage, we're talking about flash. This is what Xbox 360 Arcade units have for user storage in place of a hard drive. The term "RAM" is not appropriate for this, but the term "ROM" is potentially misleading as well, since the NAND flash here is being treated as a mass storage device and not as a programmable ROM.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/18310899

Please don't answer questions that you don't know the answer to, Walks. Moom - please ignore the entire contents of Walks post, as it is filled with nothing but factual errors.

OK, I'll try not to accidentally give erroneous errors to oddly worded questions. But only if you refrain from sounding like a condescending dooshbag. Now we know why Nerds get their heads shoved in toilets in High School...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/18314197

The use of terminology in this thread is making my head hurt. If we're talking about modern, re-writable, non-volatile, solid state storage, we're talking about flash. This is what Xbox 360 Arcade units have for user storage in place of a hard drive. The term "RAM" is not appropriate for this, but the term "ROM" is potentially misleading as well, since the NAND flash here is being treated as a mass storage device and not as a programmable ROM.

Please correct me if i'm, wrong, but I think the 256/512 mobos use the NAND flash as the mass storage device, in other words one thing does both jobs. I know when reading the nand for jtag hacks, the newer ones have a 256/512 mb nand.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Slordak - Again, NAND flash memory is a variety of EEPROM. Referring to it as "flash" is as much slang as referring to it as "ROM". It's like I'm referring to prostitutes as "hos" and you just came in telling me that the proper, technical terminology is "bitches". You're insisting that your slang term is inherently more accurate than my slang term. I really do hope that you understand the failure in logic there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I played around with it again and found out there's an easy way of telling the size of the flash nand. In the system settings, under memory, hit Y when the MU(memory unit) is selected, and it shows 452 Mb for capacity.

There, nerd satisfied.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/18318047

Slordak - Again, NAND flash memory is a variety of EEPROM. Referring to it as "flash" is as much slang as referring to it as "ROM". It's like I'm referring to prostitutes as "hos" and you just came in telling me that the proper, technical terminology is "bitches". You're insisting that your slang term is inherently more accurate than my slang term. I really do hope that you understand the failure in logic there.

Indeed; thank you for the amusing analogy. You're correct.

I was merely attempting to clarify that on systems like this, we often have quite a combination of components. This could include RAM, ROM components meant for firmware (low-level FPGAs as well as any EEPROMs meant for code/firmware), and non-volatile memory used as a file system for the end user. Really what users care about in this discussion is just the last of these, i.e. just the user storage space, which is a NAND flash volume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts