AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to get 1:1 pixel mapping from my GeForce 8800GTS to my Sony kds-60a2000 RPTV via a DVI/HDMI cable. Drivers are 97.94.

Out of the box, with no tweaking, the video card sends the TV 1920x1080p and I can view it no problem, although there is a good amount of overscan. However, the text isn't very sharp, but if I put up a pixel mapping test pattern, it indicates that there are no pixel mapping problems. So I'm not sure if it's pixel mapped.

How would I find and set the custom resolution that will give me perfectly sharp text? I don't want to use Powerstrip because it looks like the nvidia control panel has the same options.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your TV will overscan any video it receives over HDMI/DVI.

If you underscan the output from your PC you can achieve the appearance of 1:1 pixel mapping.

However, this will not be perfectly clear text since some of the detail is removed when output due to the underscanning and then gets reinvented by the TV as a result of the overscaning.

What is the souce of pixel mapping test pattern? If it is the TV then it is not being overscanned.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I set the background to a tile of an pixel mapping test image I found on this forum . The result is that the background shows no horizontal or vertical pixel mapping timing issues but the text of my icons on the desktop is chunky and interpolated looking.

Also, how do I find the resolution at which text is perfectly sharp but there is overscan?

Thanks for your current and previous help you have provide me walford.

·
Registered
676 Posts
1:1 pixel mapping does not always equate to perfectly sharp text. Under Vista, for example, due to the different system fonts they are using, some texts are not as sharp when compared to XP, but the 1:1 pixel mapping is definitely there.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Not sure if this will help since I have a different HDTV (Samsung 46" DLP) but on mine the only way to get 1:1 pixel mapping is to ensure that your video card is outputting the HDTV's native resolution via DVI/HDMI (in my case 1280x720p) and set my TV's settings to "Expand". There is about 1.5% overscan, but this is acceptable considering that everything is a bit clearer and cleaner looking.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If your pixels are a "diamond pattern" instead of square like an LCD monitor, some small fonts may not display as well as on your LCD monitor.

Ozy

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/0

I think this what I'm aiming for: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post7545298

anyone know how to do this with the nvidia control panel?

Do you see the square pixel grid on that picture you just linked?

Now take a look at the image you posted...

See the diamond patterned grid?

Small fonts will look different between a square and a diamond grid.

If this is what is happening, you won't be able to "fix it".

Ozy

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 /forum/post/0

Do you see the square pixel grid on that picture you just linked?

Now take a look at the image you posted...

See the diamond patterned grid?

Small fonts will look different between a square and a diamond grid.

If this is what is happening, you won't be able to "fix it".

Ozy

Ok, is there any way to sharpen it up a bit?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/0

Ok, is there any way to sharpen it up a bit?

Change your font to one that looks sharper on a diamond pixel pattern.

Rotate your physical and windows display by 45 degrees.

Replace with a display that has a square pixel grid.

In short, no.

Ozy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts